Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

General and high profile video game topics.
Segatarious1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Segatarious1 » July 22nd, 2013, 11:47 am

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-22-ouya-devs-reveal-sales-figures

Ouya software sales are very, well, bad. I know this is not selling millions of units, but hyped original games for the system are selling 2k and less. I think this confirms that Ouya is and will be primarily an emulation box...

Organ Trail developer Ryan Wiemeyer told Gamasutra that the game made 501 sales off 13,112 downloads, saying he didn't know if it was worth the man hours required to port it to Ouya. Adam Spragg said the pay-what-you-want game Hidden in Plain Sight has sold 1,900 copies with an average price of a little over $2. He said the numbers exceeded his expectations, but he's noticed them falling off recently. Shay Pierce ported Bennett Foddy's Get on Top, and has sold 520 copies for $2 each on 9,700 downloads. After Ouya took its 30 percent cut, Pierce said the game has earned a grand total of $728.

People want 'free' but free don't pay the bills. Check the article for more details...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 22nd, 2013, 4:29 pm

I think the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies.

scotland171

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby scotland171 » July 22nd, 2013, 8:35 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]I think the old saying "you get what you pay for" applies.[/QUOTE]

The whole point is that development on android should open doors to a large audience...not just the small ouya crowd. Ouya should not be its own ecosystem but a familiar one on a tv with a controller. That was a business decision others are doing differently.

Next up is the nvidia shield. $300 for handheld, or stream from pc or hdmi to tv. This will be a higher end version, if its price you equate to quality. Hopefully all these android microconsoles will share games to make droid games attractive for developers. A year from now we will see how this experiment in low cost gaming works out.

scotland171

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby scotland171 » August 7th, 2013, 8:20 pm

Went to IGN and got hit with ads for the NVIDIA Shield at 4 places on the same page - Ads to the left of me, Ads to the right of me, Ads in front of me, volley'd and thunder'd.  Gotta say, at least they are pushing ads to the IGN crowd.   Not drinking any koolaid, man, on these Android micro consoles, and I hope something in the niche does well, but this one seems to have been the victim of geek scope creep. I'm referring to the ability to stream your PC games thing, and packing a Tegra 4 to handle it  - that it may have priced itself out of the market.  We'll see.

And if anyone is interested, the free android game of the day is Robot Unicorn Attack 2 - Seems like Sonic the Hedgehog meets My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.  

Pacman0001

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Pacman0001 » August 8th, 2013, 10:38 am

[QUOTE]Organ Trail developer Ryan Wiemeyer told Gamasutra that the game made 501 sales off 13,112 downloads, saying he didn't know if it was worth the man hours required to port it to Ouya. Adam Spragg said the pay-what-you-want game Hidden in Plain Sight has sold 1,900 copies with an average price of a little over $2. He said the numbers exceeded his expectations, but he's noticed them falling off recently. Shay Pierce ported Bennett Foddy's Get on Top, and has sold 520 copies for $2 each on 9,700 downloads. After Ouya took its 30 percent cut, Pierce said the game has earned a grand total of $728.[/QUOTE]

The Ouya needs games to catch on, and it needs to catch on to get games. $728 might be enough for one guy making games in his spare time, but it's not enough for a major company.  Whoever's making this thing needs to change their strategy.

Ozzybear1

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby Ozzybear1 » August 9th, 2013, 3:41 am

Have been thinking of picking one of these up
Just to have as something different to play from
time to time.

feilong801

Ouya Reviews Lukewarm

Postby feilong801 » August 9th, 2013, 3:54 pm

The Ouya's real problem, I think, is expectation management. They asked for a "paltry" (in the scheme of hardware dev) 900k or so, and got way way more than that, but still vastly less than what Ninty/Sony/Micro would spend in RnD. Yet the expectations ballooned out of control. There was no way the system would meet the expectations that were set. If they had just barely attained their goal, it would be looked upon as a cute lil' indie box, and all the various issues with it, such as the clunky UI and so forth, could be overlooked. Unfortunately, it came a "you guys got times X more than you asked for and this is all you could come up with!?" 

Return to “Video Games General”