Namco Museum Volume 2 review

General and high profile video game topics.
mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 19th, 2004, 10:27 pm

My comments on Pac-Man are not unique. It's a fairly common argument. I do, however, like they idea of making a website. I've been trying to create the Mappy Dojo, a place to discuss Mappy's games and Mappy culture, but I think I need one of those super computers I read about in Popular Science.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 20th, 2004, 5:58 am

I agree that too much is being read into the games here.
Pac-man,frogger,missle command et al were popular because they were simple and fun. I think Mappy was just a little
too complicated (no maze or ladders, just trampolines and doors and an x-ray that works one way only, and pick up two of each prize in order and hit the bell and dont forget the balloons). Its fun after you KNOW what to do, but for an early coin-op, most people lost 2 quarters and moved on..

I'm surprised no one has mentioned more about HOPPING
MAPPY.am I the only one whos played that "hop around on a pogo stick in the back lawn" monstorsity? Check out the last
ish of Digital Press (#58 "critters") for a full review...

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 20th, 2004, 11:39 am

I have a hard time believing Missile Command would have been as popular if you were popping ballons, not intecepting nuclear warheads. Also, Mappy is not complicated. It's a childrens game, really, even though it can be enjoyed by adults. There were more complicated games that were popular back then. I still think Mappy was unpopular here because of its un-American themes and the American intolerance of a mouse in law enforcement.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 20th, 2004, 12:44 pm

A baloon popping game not fun? Not only did we have CLOWNS
and CIRCUS ATARI but BPing games were long popular at carnivals. And dont forget Kickman!

Wasn't the boss cat's name GORO or 'Boss-the-big-bit"?
(Im reading the review in '83 EG mag.)

So, ever play HOPPING MAPPY? You had to pogo-bounce on the cats and prizes...well it wasn't a good game, I think it
proves my point because it was made FAR less complicated.
I think if the graphics/play had been better, HM might have
succeeded...americans love pogo stx, nyet? Jdomo!<:

chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 20th, 2004, 12:45 pm

Mappy Mouse PD, why would you need a 'super computer' to make a webpage about mappy mouse? Now you're going a little too far, and I'm afraid this last paragraph of your second to last post just sounds like an excuse to tell the world you read Popular Science or whatever. Trust me, you need no more than a personal computer Internet capable, to build a simple webpage.

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 20th, 2004, 12:53 pm

The boss kittie in Mappy is named Nya-mco in the Japanese version and Goro in the American release. Yes, I've played Hopping Mappy (I mentioned it in an earlier post). It's way too simple and not fun at all. Mappy Land is the only good Mappy sequel, even though some of the levels get pretty annoying.

I've never even heard of those ballon popping games, so I'm not sure how popular they were.

"That's no moon.. it's a space station!"

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 20th, 2004, 1:00 pm

I don't know the first thing about making a web site, no matter how simple it is. I just assumed I needed one of those tower-like monster computers called "servers."

I'm not sure why anyone would be impressed that I read Popular Science. I didn't say that to show off or anything, just to say where I read about the mosnter computer I would need top start a website. I'm not sure my Compaq could handle the traffic the Mappy Dojo would no doubt bring in.

chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 20th, 2004, 3:48 pm

I believe you basically just send your site to a commercial server who has one HUGE computer and serves your site out to internet users. All you need is a basic software program, and the knowledge of how to buy a domain and some space. Or you could have a small site, without your own domain, and unfortunetly sometimes with ads whether you want em' or not, on a free server, provided by shaw or yahoo or whatnot. However, these sites make you build the site online (actually on their site), which often freezes, and is very glitchy and frustrating. There is not alot of space provided by free server's either.

Speaking of which, Dave, you be reading this, who is providing you with space (what server is this?). Just curious. I'm trying to put a site of my own online, but I have no knowledge of how to transfer a pre-built site from Adobe PageMills to a real server. It kinda' scares me, all the horror stories of sites being completly lost, domains stollen, ect.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 20th, 2004, 5:18 pm

[QUOTE=chickenwarrior]
Speaking of which, Dave, you be reading this, who is providing you with space (what server is this?). [/QUOTE]

My site is hosted by www.olm.com. Their servers are reliable and fast. The options range from $6.50 - $25.50 per month. I'm currently paying $18.50 but will need to upgrade to the $25.50 soon because this site generates so much traffic.

Dave

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » August 20th, 2004, 9:13 pm

Is it just me, or do Mappy's graphics look like the reminiscent of Flicky?

Return to “Video Games General”