Namco Museum Volume 2 review

General and high profile video game topics.
chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 26th, 2004, 12:36 pm

Ok, I finally agree on something. Enough with this post. But I just want to finish off by repeating again, my original statement: "However, in Japan, the market is still much more open to new and original games [than the american market]. "If it weren't for good ol' Japan, we wouldn't have recent cult classics like Seaman, Mr. Misquito or Typing of the Dead." That's all I said, and I still think it is 100% true.

I find it odd, that after arguing for half a dozen posts or more that the persentage of fun, creative, intuitive and original games come from North America or Europe, and ratting on all of Nintendo's recent products, you say that Nintendo has turned into another Microsoft, in the way that they buy out tons of developers because they have ran out of ideas themselves. Microsoft, is AMERICAN! To top things off, after complaining about Nintendo's GBA and calling it "a graveyard for old SNES and NES games" you finish off by encouraging to release, not any new or original software for the GBA but yet another port of Mappy Mouse, exactly as I had previously predicted. I think I have proven my point. Japan remains a wondefull source for unique games and fresh ideas we have never expierienced in Europe and North America, and continues to provide fun filled games for all, if not as many as they had previously earlier in the life of the PS1 or N64 (I say that because you suggested that the good game market had moved to North America and Europe after '98).

- chickenwarrior

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 26th, 2004, 12:51 pm

Yeah, I've got issues with Microsoft too. They bought out a great game (Shenmue 2), added really bad voices and released it for that X-Cube thing.

Are Seaman and Typing of the Dead cult classics? Yes, they are by Sega, one of my favorite game companies, but I wouldn't call them cult classics. Seaman failed for exactly the same reason the Virtual Boy 2 will fail: nobody wants to talk to their video games, and those who do talk to their video games already have a rich, lasting relationship with their Gameboy. "How are you feeling today, Squirtle?"

Don't you think it's telling that the best Nintendo game for the Gamecube was made by a bunch of cowboys in the Lone Star State? Or that Squaresoft's last big game was 80% movie and 20% game? What the hell is happening to Japanese video games?

chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 26th, 2004, 1:25 pm

Yes Seaman and Typing of the Dead failed, they failed terribly, but everybody knows them, and that's why they are CULT classics and not just classics. THey are bizare, and loved by many for this reason alone. Along with many other Dreamcast games, including Samba De Amigo, and Toy Commander (a bit less weird). And about the DS, I'm not saying it's going to do well or anything, but it's not like all the games rely on microphone support. Just like PS2, Dreamcast or XBox, most of the games won't utilize the mic at all. And don't start calling it a Virtual Boy 2 just yet. It has potential. The virtual boy was way more akward.

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 26th, 2004, 1:32 pm

You don't need to tell me the Vitual Boy was awkward. I like to play games while I drive, and that thing made it very difficult.

chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 26th, 2004, 2:13 pm

I said way more akward (than the DS), not just akward. The DS has not only one, but TWO screens, the Virtual Boy hardly even had one. Besides, how do you know it would be hard to drive while playing the Virtual Boy. Betcha' never even tried.

With the DS, you'll be able to drive, while paying attention to TWO different screens at the same time as talkling to it, and drawing on the touch sensitive screen, chatting to friends wireless, and listening to the music. Sounds alot easier to me!

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » August 26th, 2004, 2:40 pm

The second screen on the DS reminds me of the LCD screen on the Dreamcast controller. Useless.

And who wants a touch-sensitive screen? The kids are just going to lose the stylus and get Cheetos dust all over it.

By the way, I get very nervous behind the wheel. Playing the Virtual Boy helps me to relax.

chickenwarrior1

Postby chickenwarrior1 » August 26th, 2004, 3:10 pm

The touch sensitive screen is a cool idea because the developers can create whatever buttons they need. It could be a keyboard, than a joypad, than a drawing pad...anything.

Just a little question: How do you get power to your Virtual Boy when your in your car? Have you hooked up it up to a battery or to your lighter maybe?. Why don't you just buy a whole dang arcade cabinett and stick it in the back seat? It might be kinda' hard to reach, but you wouldn't have to worry about paying attention to a mic, touch sensitive screen, online chat, or impared vision (virtual boy). As a bonus, nobody would ever ask you for a ride again!

Jeff Wylds

Postby Jeff Wylds » March 9th, 2005, 3:19 pm

even Minnie Mouse had more clout than Mappy. 

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » March 9th, 2005, 5:06 pm

[QUOTE=Jeff Wylds]even Minnie Mouse had more clout than Mappy.
[/QUOTE]

That's crazy talk.

debbie

Postby debbie » July 28th, 2005, 10:24 pm

hi i agree mappy is a great game and yes he was a mouse. i played that game for hours on ends and i wish i could find a pc download, because i would still play it for hours.  love this game

Return to “Video Games General”