Lack of Good New Games!

General and high profile video game topics.
darkrage61

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby darkrage61 » November 17th, 2013, 12:13 am

I'm also catching up on some 360 games right now, I recently finished DMC: Devil May Cry and also plan on playing Killer Is Dead, Silent Hill Homecoming, Silent Hill: Downpour, Deadpool and Shadows Of The Damned.

Captain_Crunch1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » November 17th, 2013, 5:59 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]It just occurred to me there aren't a lot of good games out this holiday season.  What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Critic, I think there are good games. I'm sure the new Battlefield, Mario 3D World, Zelda 3DS, Professor Layton will all be quality titles, though I haven't played any of them yet. However, maybe you find it hard to get excited about those games, because what the lack is not quality in gameplay and production, but lack in originality. Personally, I find it hard to get excited about those titles, they have been done so many times now. I'm longing for a new original game - no reboot, remake or another addition to a well-know well-selling serie.

darkrage61

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby darkrage61 » November 17th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Personally I don't give a rat's ass how "original" a game is, original dosen't always necessarily mean "better", as long a game is fun to play that's what truly matters to me.

Astrosmasher1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 17th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Minecraft and The walking dead the rpg cartoon game are pretty good.  You have not reviewed them and I think they are very good.  Also they are now on disc. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 18th, 2013, 10:27 am

[QUOTE=darkrage6]Personally I don't give a rat's ass how "original" a game is, original dosen't always necessarily mean "better", as long a game is fun to play that's what truly matters to me.[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!  You're part of the massive gaming populous that is helping to create the stagnant, unoriginal game market that is currently forming.  

You're right in saying that original doesn't automatically = better.  However, the lack of fresh ideas in the gaming industry is alarming.  Especially in big budget games.  Since the monetary investment is so high publishers aren't taking any risks and just spewing out the same old crap with slightly different stories, and a different paint job.  One could argue that the most originality is happening with the indie games found on Xbox Live/PSN/Wii/Steam.  This is a double edged sword though.  While many indie games can be extremely fun, most lack the polish of a game that has gone through the proper publishing channels.  Most of the time you're left with a great idea, pretty decent execution and lot of rough edges.  Many other times you get a borderline unplayable mess.

Not wanting original ideas is one of the worst things a consumer can admit.  It means you don't care what a publisher puts out there.  You're fine if EA just craps out a new Madden as long as it's not broken.  Same goes for Call of Duty 29 and Battlefield 12.  These games are technically fun...but dammit don't you have any desire to see someone create something new?  Something better?  I for one don't want to keep seeing the same thing retread over and over again.  Eventually, developers get lazy or screw with the formula too much and things go sour.  Do we need Resident Evil 7, 8 or 9 after the debacle of 6 and Raccoon City?  I'd rather see Capcom start fresh with a new IP and let RE remain dormant for a good 5 years.  

I'd rather see 20 original games that just missed the mark, than see 5 boring retreads/sequels/spinoffs of whatever is currently filling Big Publisher X's moneybin.  Gimme a game like Stubbs the Zombie that was just on the cusp of greatness, but didn't quite there.  Give me Oddworld: Strangers with it's weird alien western setting.  Give me Kameo: Elements of Power with it's whimsical shape shifting gameplay, but lack of polish.  Give me Lair with it's maligned motion controls but awesome ambition that made it fun to play through.  Give me Mad World with it's hyper violence, awesome art style and slightly repetitive gameplay.  Not every game needs to be a masterpiece.  At this point in my life, I'd much rather try something fresh and exciting.  I've been playing games for over 20 years...I've seen and experience all it has to offer.  Military shooters or angst riddled protagonists are overdone to death.  I can't tell you the last time I played something as profound and ground breaking as Star Control II on the 3DO.   I can't tell you the last time I played something as wild and refreshing as Jet Grind Radio for the Dreamcast...  To be happy with the status quo that is currently out there just blows my mind.

darkrage61

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby darkrage61 » November 18th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Congradulations! You totally misread my post[rolleyes]

I NEVER said I didn't "original ideas" I only said it dosen't matter to me if a game is not original, and there's nothing wrong with that. However if a game is both original and good then that's great, but a game dosen't HAVE to be original to be good.  People like me are not helping create a "stagnant" game market, developers are going to make games that they think will sell well regardless of whether I buy them or not.

I like COD so yes i'm perfectly fine with a new one coming out every year, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.  I also loved Resident Evil 6 and didn't think it was a "debacle" at all, so I definitely want the sequels to be more in that vain

Those indie games just simply do not appeal to me, but the AAA games do, having a different taste in games then you do does NOT automatically mean i'm "wrong" for having a different opinion.  You act like i'm not allowed to have a different opinion, yes I am happy with status quo and i'm not wrong for liking military shooters.  I really don't see why you're being so hostile to me over simply having a different opinion then you, i'd expect that sort of thing from Steer, but definitely not from you.

Weekend_Warrior1

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » November 18th, 2013, 2:02 pm

Maybe we'd see more "original" games, if all the past or current "original" games sold extremely well? But the reality is that they often don't. 

If you want "original" games, then visit PSN and the Indie section on XBLA. There's plenty of "original" games to choose from on there. 

darkrage61

Lack of Good New Games!

Postby darkrage61 » November 18th, 2013, 2:56 pm

Exactly, Publishers don't like to take risks when original concepts don't translate to good sales.  You can't really fault Activison for putting out another COD game every year, as they know it will sell well regardless of how many people complain, so it makes sense from a business standpoint.  Indie games are more original because they are usually self-published, so they can do pretty much whatever they want without any interference from executives. 

I can understand you being upset, but the reality is that most publishers do not care about originality, they care about what will make them the most money. 

That said, my most antipicated game for 2014-Watchdogs, looks both fun and original with it's hacking gameplay, and I do hope that game sells well.

Return to “Video Games General”