Wii U will be okay

General and high profile video game topics.
darkrage61

Wii U will be okay

Postby darkrage61 » December 24th, 2013, 1:25 pm

Yeah I mean I love Nintendo too, but the Wii U definitely dosen't look like a big jump over last gen at all, that Tablet controller looks like a really bulky and unnecessary gimmick, i'd much rather stick with a normal looking controller.

Paul1231

Wii U will be okay

Postby Paul1231 » December 24th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Just my two cents on the subject... 

While I understand why people are always scoffing at the tablet controller of the Wii U as a fairly unnecessary "gimmick", I want to point out that my family LOVES the controller for the OTHER reasons they made it, specifically, for continuing your game elsewhere when someone wants to use the living room TV.  When my 4 and 5 year old sons are in the middle of a game of Mario 3D Land and my wife wants to feed the baby and watch some chick show, it is so nice that they are excited to go huddle in a corner with a blanket over their heads and continue the game.  This aspect alone has made the system more than worth the price of admission in my family.  I know that it is underutilized for its main purposes, but don't forget some of the other benefits of having a controller for a console system that also can essentially double as the console itself.  On long car trips, I have the Wii U plugged into a power inverter in the trunk, completely out of sight, and the tablet controller up front with us so the kids can play whatever game is in the drive as well as the downloaded games I have on the system.  It makes an awesome semi-portable...

darkrage61

Wii U will be okay

Postby darkrage61 » December 25th, 2013, 2:15 am

I'm sure it has it's uses, it just seems like Nintendo spent too much time on the controller and not enough time on the system itself.

weallmissedme1

Wii U will be okay

Postby weallmissedme1 » December 25th, 2013, 1:25 pm

The system serves it's purpose. It provides incredible IP's you can't get anywhere else and has the advantage of the tablet. If you don't like it, I suggest a PC upgrade

Paul1231

Wii U will be okay

Postby Paul1231 » December 25th, 2013, 3:28 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]I'm sure it has it's uses, it just seems like Nintendo spent too much time on the controller and not enough time on the system itself.[/QUOTE]

Yes.  I said I understand people's gripes with it.

However, I also can't blame Nintendo for trying to do something to set themselves apart from the crowd.  I mean, with the success of the DS and 3DS, I can see why they would think it might give them an edge over the competition.  I also think your tune would change if there were more games out that made better use of the controller.  And isn't spending time on the controller what came from wanting to spend more time on the system?  What else would they do it they "spent more time on the system" other than give it a little more power?  It seems like adding power to the console could also be considered taking the path of least resistance, and if they did nothing but come out with a "me too" system, we would be asking why Nintendo didn't try something different like they did with the Wii, so I think these complaints are mostly relative to the current state of the console...

snakeboy1

Wii U will be okay

Postby snakeboy1 » December 26th, 2013, 9:40 am

[QUOTE=Paul123]Just my two cents on the subject... 

While I understand why people are always scoffing at the tablet controller of the Wii U as a fairly unnecessary "gimmick", I want to point out that my family LOVES the controller for the OTHER reasons they made it, specifically, for continuing your game elsewhere when someone wants to use the living room TV.  When my 4 and 5 year old sons are in the middle of a game of Mario 3D Land and my wife wants to feed the baby and watch some chick show, it is so nice that they are excited to go huddle in a corner with a blanket over their heads and continue the game.  This aspect alone has made the system more than worth the price of admission in my family.  I know that it is underutilized for its main purposes, but don't forget some of the other benefits of having a controller for a console system that also can essentially double as the console itself.  On long car trips, I have the Wii U plugged into a power inverter in the trunk, completely out of sight, and the tablet controller up front with us so the kids can play whatever game is in the drive as well as the downloaded games I have on the system.  It makes an awesome semi-portable...[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with this, and I think Nintendo needs to emphasize the off-TV play feature more.  Even if there was no doubt that the touchscreen was innovative for playing games on the big screen, I still think that the off-TV play would be a bigger selling point.  Paul did a great job illustrating this above, and I believe lots of parents (and kids) would love this feature.  I've also found it nice to be able to do things on the game pad, like browse the eshop, create Miis, configure settings, manage data, etc., without having to "waste" the TV's big screen to do it. 

Wallyworld1

Wii U will be okay

Postby Wallyworld1 » December 27th, 2013, 7:36 pm

I got a WiiU for Christmas and I couldn't be happier with it.  Being able to play the games on the controller is truly awesome. I can even bring the thing to work with me to play which is great because I don't have a access to a tv at work.

So far I have only played the Mario games but they are so sweet! They will keep me busy for endless hours.

NewModelArmy1

Wii U will be okay

Postby NewModelArmy1 » December 27th, 2013, 9:53 pm

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]I got a WiiU for Christmas and I couldn't be happier with it.  Being able to play the games on the controller is truly awesome. I can even bring the thing to work with me to play which is great because I don't have a access to a tv at work.

So far I have only played the Mario games but they are so sweet! They will keep me busy for endless hours.[/QUOTE]

So.....should you not be "working" at work?

Sudz1

Wii U will be okay

Postby Sudz1 » December 29th, 2013, 9:16 am

I get that the tablet has a certain utility for some folks, but for a guy who just loves to play games and has no desire to have my kids huddle in the corner under a blanket the tablet controller is the biggest barrier keeping me from getting a Wii U.  I thought Nintendo was supposed to be about bringing families together, not sending them scurrying off?  In any game I've played on the system, the tablet was more of an impediment to my enjoying the game rather than enhancing it. 

I also don't get the popularity of the 3DS... it makes my neck and arms stiff being forced to hold the thing at just the right angle to get the 3D effect (or even just to be able to see the game) and I've yet to see a title where the 3D really adds to the base game play.  I'll stick with my DSi thanks [biggrin]

Segatarious1

Wii U will be okay

Postby Segatarious1 » December 29th, 2013, 10:46 am

[QUOTE=Sudz]I get that the tablet has a certain utility for some folks, but for a guy who just loves to play games and has no desire to have my kids huddle in the corner under a blanket the tablet controller is the biggest barrier keeping me from getting a Wii U.  I thought Nintendo was supposed to be about bringing families together, not sending them scurrying off?  In any game I've played on the system, the tablet was more of an impediment to my enjoying the game rather than enhancing it. 

I also don't get the popularity of the 3DS... it makes my neck and arms stiff being forced to hold the thing at just the right angle to get the 3D effect (or even just to be able to see the game) and I've yet to see a title where the 3D really adds to the base game play.  I'll stick with my DSi thanks [biggrin]

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

The tablet adds to local multiplayer. And it is great for TV sharing, and netflix, and navigating Miiverse - Nintendo truly built the system around it, it is a very good idea. I have yet to see a game that used it that it was an 'impediment' to the game. I do not know what that means. It has a nice screen, full controller and touchscreen inputs, and a great gyroscope. The thing is loaded and very comfortable to hold.

As far as 3DS - the best thing about it is its software. And I only play 3D in short burst (say a half hour) and then my eyes get tired, but it DOES add to games, many games use it very well, Zelda being the latest example. I do not have any trouble keeping it in focus, I guess. You could try 2DS, it shares the best handheld lineup out there.

Return to “Video Games General”