Buy A Wii U

General and high profile video game topics.
snakeboy1

Buy A Wii U

Postby snakeboy1 » January 31st, 2014, 1:00 pm

I think the biggest thing hurting the Wii U is all the negative talk directed toward it, so the more positive things that people who own it say about it, the better.  Personally, I like the system quite a bit, and the fact that it hasn't sold well hasn't diminished my enjoyment of it (why would it?).

For those of you on the fence about buying a Wii U, look at it this way:  If you buy a Wii U, and even if the system is a huge failure, my guess is that at the very minimum you will end up with 20-30 games that you will enjoy.  At the end of the day, does it really matter if a system puts out 4 or 5 big-name AAA titles a month?  I mean, how many games do you really need anyway?  If you absolutely need that many games, you have a heck of a lot more free time on your hands than I do.

Also, do you really want Nintendo to fail?  How boring would the video game world be if Nintendo dropped out of the console-making business?  Nothing against MS or Sony, but it's nice to have Nintendo in there to spice things up a bit (Actually, I don't think Nintendo is going anywhere even if the Wii U is a massive flop, but I guess anything is possible).

I'm not going to sit here and try to push the system hard to everyone out there - if you don't like Nintendo, obviously you won't like the Wii U - but if you're on the fence, I think it would be foolish to stay away from the system because of poor sales and some bad publicity.

PAAppleyard1

Buy A Wii U

Postby PAAppleyard1 » January 31st, 2014, 2:10 pm

The Wii U has more than enough quality games for my needs. I can't see anything on the other two consoles that I want.

The Wii U has been a very good console IMHO so far and I would recommend it to others in a heart beat.

I can't see how I could have the time to play more games than are available for the Wii U.

I will say I'm disappointed by the VC on the Wii U. I like the Wii VC though. I still play Alex Kidd regularly.

Bluenote1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Bluenote1 » January 31st, 2014, 3:04 pm

As I said before, I love the system.  But, after thinking about it for a while, I think the problem with the Wii U is not the gamepad, or the graphical power, or the marketing or the name etc.  I think maybe people are getting tired of the usual games, ie, Mario, Mario Kart, etc.  Super Mario 3d World was a fantastic game, but so far it's selling very poorly.  Have people finally had enough of Mario?

Look at Mario Kart.  I have Mario Kart on 3ds and the Wii (plus some older ones for the SNES, etc.).  Personally, I don't really care about a new one coming out, I have played most of them and they're good enough for me.  I don't need to play yet another version.

Perhaps all the Wii U needs to start selling is a few brand new IPs that are fun to play.  And who knows, maybe that's what they have up their sleeve.  Miyamoto made mention in an interview a while ago that he's working on something new.

darkrage61

Buy A Wii U

Postby darkrage61 » January 31st, 2014, 3:57 pm

I don't want Nintendo to fail, i'm pretty happy with my 3DS, but I just simply cannot think of a compelling reason to buy a Wii U when I already have a 360 console(i've never owned more then one console at a time, I don't really have the space for it), and once i've played all the games on that system that interested me, i'll be trading it in towards the purchase of an Xbox One since it has the best looking library overall and the least gimmicky controller.

As for why it hasn't sold well, I think it's the sparse library of games more then anything, it's been over a year since the system launched and the library of interesting looking games still seems rather slim, it's launch line-up was mostly made up of ports of last-gen games like Arkham City(and many found the Wii U version to actually be worse looking then the PS3/360 versions) and it seems as though the Wii U versions of multi-platform games are considered the worst(Resident Evil: Revelations). A year and a half after the Wii/PS3/360 launched they all had a pretty diverse library of games to choose from, but the same just can't be said for the Wii U.

I think Nintendo wrongfully assumed that launching first would be enough for the system to sell well, but as the Sega Saturn's launch proved, getting a head-start dosen't do you much good if you don't have enough games to support the system.  I think Nintendo should've waited at least another year before launching the system, that way it could've had a more diverse library to choose from.

Den1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Den1 » January 31st, 2014, 5:02 pm

[QUOTE=Bluenote]

I got a Wii U this past Christmas from my wife, and I love it!  I have only played New Super Mario Wii U and Super Mario 3d Land, but both games are fantastic.  You simply can't get these fun, cartoony, non violent games on any other system.

I'm not worried about the so called lack of games, I really no longer have endless spare time like I did when I was younger, so the Wii U library that is out now is more than enough to give me busy for the forseeable future. 

[/QUOTE]

Every single word of this post is true for me as well.  Weird.

NewModelArmy1

Buy A Wii U

Postby NewModelArmy1 » January 31st, 2014, 7:00 pm

So I am not having fun playing the PS3 or 360? I always thought that Nintendo had the VGC in its back pocket, thanks for leaving no doubt about that. The WiiU is dead, maybe you can use it as a doorstop?

scotland171

Buy A Wii U

Postby scotland171 » January 31st, 2014, 7:11 pm

@bluenote A recent thread spent some time on the 'Is Mario Overused?' beginning around Atarifever's post #10

http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/the-nintendo-renaissance-6645777

snakeboy1

Buy A Wii U

Postby snakeboy1 » January 31st, 2014, 8:05 pm

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]So I am not having fun playing the PS3 or 360? I always thought that Nintendo had the VGC in its back pocket, thanks for leaving no doubt about that. The WiiU is dead, maybe you can use it as a doorstop? [/QUOTE]

Aw, Mig, don't be so sensitive.  Nobody said you can't enjoy your precious PS3 and 360.

And cheer up, would ya?  You'd think that with Nintendo's impending doom and all, you'd be in better spirits.

a1

Buy A Wii U

Postby a1 » January 31st, 2014, 8:16 pm

[QUOTE=NewModelArmy]So I am not having fun playing the PS3 or 360? I always thought that Nintendo had the VGC in its back pocket, thanks for leaving no doubt about that. The WiiU is dead, maybe you can use it as a doorstop? [/QUOTE]

Ha ha. Yeah, Nintendo paid off a small, independent website to give it good reviews. The critic didn't say he doesn't like the PS3 or 360. He's just vouching for a struggling system. Cut out the hyperbole. It lowers the quality of the forums.

Anyway, I like my Wii U but I have no idea what Nintendo is thinking. Release more than one virtual console title a week, and make them quality titles. Revive a franchise like F Zero, or 2d Metroid, instead of making New Super Mario 10. Make digital titles tied to an account instead of the console and have cross buy between 3DS and Wii U virtual console. Nintendo makes great games, so I'm happy to have the system, but their business decisions are puzzling.

Tron1

Buy A Wii U

Postby Tron1 » January 31st, 2014, 8:52 pm

I like Mario games, but more Mario isn't enough to get me to buy. Here's a few things that might get my tight fisted grasp on my dollars to loosen:

1. 3DS Player.
I love my Gameboy Gamecube Player. I love portable games as they tend to forgo higher learning curves and endless story sequences, but the small screens are a bit of a bummer.  

2. Forget the virtual games and release some uber sweet compilations. I bought the Mario collection on the SNES and even though the Wii version was nearly identical and an obvious cash grab I was happy to buy the collection again. How about getting some real old-skool NES classics on one disc? Balloon Fighter, Wrecking Crew, Ice Climber and more more more.  

3. Fire Emblem.
The 3DS Fire Emblem was great, but they still could take that series so much deeper.

4. Advance Wars.
Super awesome series on GBA & DS, but no console love.

5. A new Golf game.
Camelot did an ok job on the GBA, but I want Nintendo to put the same kind of love they give to Mario for a new golf game. Forget all the zany courses and obstacles and make something awesome like Hot Shots Golf with career mode. NES Open II anybody?

Return to “Video Games General”