What ever happened to...?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 21st, 2014, 5:12 pm

Ever wonder what happened to a franchise from the past?

I was just thinking about Ecco the Dolphin and what a big property that was for Sega in the 90's.  Ever since the mediocre Dreamcast game, I haven't heard from Ecco.  You would think Sega would not have given up on his so fast, but it seems like they are quick to abandon old franchises (except for Sonic apparently).

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 21st, 2014, 7:12 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Ever wonder what happened to a franchise from the past?

I was just thinking about Ecco the Dolphin and what a big property that was for Sega in the 90's.  Ever since the mediocre Dreamcast game, I haven't heard from Ecco.  You would think Sega would not have given up on his so fast, but it seems like they are quick to abandon old franchises (except for Sonic apparently).[/QUOTE]

Sega has so many great franchises they could use from the past. Not to mention they also have Atlus as well.

Seems like they should be able to print money with all those franchises.

An HD Ecco the Dolphin in 2D! Sounds great! How about an updated 2D Shinobi?

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 21st, 2014, 7:42 pm

I thought the Dreamcast game was actually decent, I was dissapointed not to see more Ecco games.  I'd also like to see a new Streets Of Rage.

Battletoads dissapeared after the superb arcade game from EA, the franchise just stalled for unknown reasons.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 21st, 2014, 10:17 pm

Streets of Rage is a huge one for me. Those three titles were huge during the 90's and I can't believe a Saturn title or something never showed up. Dino Crisis was also a fun title. I really enjoyed the first game so to not see a new game in so long kind of sucks. Another title would be Fear Effect (ps1), the two games were excellent and could really use a new title. They weren't too long but the graphics really did look like early PS2 and the titles were a blast to play.

TimPossible1

Postby TimPossible1 » March 21st, 2014, 10:56 pm

2 words... Road Rash

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 21st, 2014, 11:02 pm

The Panzer Dragoon series
-Comix Zone (not a franchise, but why Sega never made one of it is beyond me)
-Toejam and Earl
-Nintendo's Uniracers (another non-franchise, but if was so fun! Why couldn't Nintendo do one for the eshop?)

Marriott_Guy1

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » March 22nd, 2014, 5:49 am

I echo Road Rash.  A few others:

o Suikoden
o King's Field
o Shockwave
o Shadow Hearts
o Wing Commander
o King's Quest (PC)
o Quest for Glory (PC)

and bring back Tex Murphy!

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » March 22nd, 2014, 12:02 pm

[QUOTE=Marriott_Guy]
and bring back Tex Murphy![/QUOTE]

There are plans... search for Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure. 

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » March 22nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Because I'm a terrible person that wants to see Segatorius blow his head off,I'll just list some old Big N IP's that just vanished.[rofl]

BWii: Battalion Wars II was the last of the Battalion Wars series to come out,I admit the first was just a sleeper-hit in 2005,but the 2nd was decent enough....and there's a sequel hook all over it. Darn it I hope it comes back from the dead to the Wii U

Advance Wars: Days Of Ruin must've killed off the Advance Wars series since there hasn't been a 3DS release for it.

F-Zero....was it a whole decade ago the last one?

Star Fox Command must've halted that series,even though a Wii entry would've been a stellar place for a Star Fox title.

And there isn't a Mother 4 anywhere in sight as far as I know, and an EarthBound 2 (That'd be internationally releasing Mother 3)? Fat chance?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » March 22nd, 2014, 11:33 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]
And there isn't a Mother 4 anywhere in sight as far as I know, and an EarthBound 2 (That'd be internationally releasing Mother 3)? Fat chance?

[/QUOTE]

Mother 4 might never happen but there is a fan game being made. It actually looks pretty solid. It will be free made by the fans so definitely worth checking out since it costs you nothing but your time.

http://www.mother4game.com/

Return to “Video Games General”