Mario Kart 8: Getting psyched?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 24th, 2014, 5:47 pm

I'm really getting worked up about the new Mario Kart 8 (May 30 release date).  Saw ads for it in the paper.  Target is giving away a free steering wheel controller.  Looks like the game box is red.  If you don't have a Wii U yet, there's a special Wii U Mario Kart bundle.

One thing I really like is the name.  A lot of series forget their history (Mortal Kombat) or tack on something cheesy like "Super 3D" to the front of the name.  With Mario Kart 8 there's no confusion.  As a collector I like that.

I still remember picking up the original Mario Kart (SNES) at the mall with my girlfriend (now wife).

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » May 24th, 2014, 6:26 pm

I've noticed you like things simple. Like the Gamecube: cube that plays games. Or the PS4: PlayStation. Number 4. Move along.

I think I'd have to look more into the game before I can opine about that though.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 24th, 2014, 6:40 pm

I really hope they redress the slightly irksome overabundance of powerful items and bring back some of the competitive spirit of SMK. 

Will you be playing online, Critic?

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » May 24th, 2014, 6:46 pm

From what I gather, they've come up with a way of leveling the playing field when it comes to the super annoying, and cheap, blue shells.

I was underwhelmed by Mario Kart Wii, which I thought was generic (just my opinion, but I felt like it was a step down from the innovative two party kart system of Double Dash). Mario Kart 8 looks to be fun, innovative, and GORGEOUS!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 24th, 2014, 9:32 pm

From what I've heard the items have been evened out a lot meaning that the game is less chaotic item spamming and more course knowledge. I'll probably pick this up with Pikmin  3 next week. Can't wait. Almost done with Super Mario 3D World.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » May 24th, 2014, 10:52 pm

The items in Mario Kart have to be the most over rated complaint in gaming.

LUCK and SKILL are apart of most ANY GAME - take poker - the cards you draw are LUCK and the way you play them are SKILL. Mario Kart is no different. There are offensive items and defensive items, and the most skilled players win most regularly. This was proved beyond any doubt by playing online in Mario Kart Wii. Yes, occasional you get screw in a game, that is Mario Kart for you, it has a random element. But if you find yourself consistently losing, either you are bad, or you are playing against a crowd that is consistently better than you. End of story.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » May 25th, 2014, 12:24 am

Psyched? Hell, it's partially the reason I recently bought the console! Hoping for many months of fun with it.

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » May 25th, 2014, 1:43 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]One thing I really like is the name.  A lot of series forget their history (Mortal Kombat) or tack on something cheesy like "Super 3D" to the front of the name. [/QUOTE]
Ahem... 

Mario Kart 64
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario Kart DS 
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Kart Wii 

Just as guilty as Mortal Kombat, sir. Netherrealm just didn't call the last game "MK9" because it was meant to be a 'series reboot' rather than a full-fledged sequel with new characters, arenas, storyline, etc 

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 25th, 2014, 9:15 am

@Weekend: Super Circuit and Double Dash I'll give you

But DS, 64, and Wii aren't tacky, they give you the exact system it's for which is just as easy if not easier than a number.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 25th, 2014, 4:05 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]

The items in Mario Kart have to be the most over rated complaint in gaming.

[/QUOTE]

A fundamental structure in competitive game play doesn't encourage an arseload of perks, for your information.

Return to “Video Games General”