GameStop no fun?

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Vexer1 » May 31st, 2014, 1:33 am

Viper82-Actually there have been times when Gamestop has given me MORE value for a game then I would've got for it elsewhere, for example I bought Gangs Of London on Amazon for only about 1 dollar(not including shipping), when I traded it in at the store, I got 8 dollars in store credit.  For me the trade-in values I get from them are almost always as good if not better then other places. 

I'm not too upset about Gamestop taking over, I enjoy going there so I can live with it.

Generally the stores near me usually aren't too crowded unless it's on a new release day, I was surpised that I was the only customer in the store when picking up Watch Dogs on release date.

weallmissedme1

GameStop no fun?

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 31st, 2014, 4:11 pm

Your lucky Vexer, where I went for Watch_Dogs, there was a line of 40 people!

Vexer1

GameStop no fun?

Postby Vexer1 » May 31st, 2014, 11:38 pm

Well it probably helped that I didn't go for the midnight launch and waited until the afternoon to go pick it up.

Viper821

GameStop no fun?

Postby Viper821 » June 4th, 2014, 3:02 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]

Viper82-Actually there have been times when Gamestop has given me MORE value for a game then I would've got for it elsewhere, for example I bought Gangs Of London on Amazon for only about 1 dollar(not including shipping), when I traded it in at the store, I got 8 dollars in store credit.  For me the trade-in values I get from them are almost always as good if not better then other places. [/quote]
I remember there was a handful of PS2 titles I wanted to trade in around the time PS3 came out. They were sell for $30-40 used and I was offered a measly $5 each for them. The local flea market guy gave me over double that. I once saw a kid trade a Gamecube, 30+ games for a PSP and his parents still had to drop $50+. Insane! 

[quote]I'm not too upset about Gamestop taking over, I enjoy going there so I can live with it.

Generally the stores near me usually aren't too crowded unless it's on a new release day, I was surpised that I was the only customer in the store when picking up Watch Dogs on release date.

[/QUOTE]
Well, on the other side of the city there are 3 rather than just 1 GS/EBgames where I live and they are FAR better. They still annoy me with the constant hounding about used games, subscriptions, etc but the stores are far cleaner and  quieter and the staff friendlier than the old independent stores around here. I once went to small town that not only had 2(!) EB Games but also an independent store. I walked out of the filthy, run down indie store because the clerks were too busy playing D&D and went to EB, where I received excellent service. The indie store was not only overpriced but reeked of sweat and the carpets were disgusting and the EB games store was spotless and well organized. I do like geeky employees but at least at EB they treat like a paying customer.

I'm not a huge fan of EB/GS but to be honest much of that has to do with how they aggressively push used games and sell opened games as new. Just wish the local one did not constantly look like a tornado hit it. For a large chain, they seem to vary wildly from location to location. If they sold mostly new games and didn't gut them I probably would go there far more often.

Herschie

Re: GameStop no fun?

Postby Herschie » December 18th, 2016, 8:09 pm

I don't know if there is such a thing as Gamestop etiquette, but if there was, I'd imagine it would address talking to the employees. We all love going there and chit chatting about our favorite games, or what we're excited about that's on the horizon, but I hate when I'm in line for 15 minutes, the Bears are about to start, and someone is over there striking up a conversation. Take your junk, and get out. Quit holding up the line!

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » December 19th, 2016, 8:49 am

Herschie wrote:I don't know if there is such a thing as Gamestop etiquette, but if there was, I'd imagine it would address talking to the employees. We all love going there and chit chatting about our favorite games, or what we're excited about that's on the horizon, but I hate when I'm in line for 15 minutes, the Bears are about to start, and someone is over there striking up a conversation. Take your junk, and get out. Quit holding up the line!

Its funny, every time I try to converse with a GS employee they act all smug like I am just a random pleeb that isnt worthy of their time.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 2nd, 2017, 7:19 am

Just FYI stuff, but articles out there on a Gamestop policy called Circle of Life, or COL. Its basically monitoring every store and employee on metrics about pre-orders, memberships, used sales, and trade ins.

Nothing wrong with that, except some of the measurements are percentages. Anyone with 3rd grade fractions will understand then that selling new stuff, especially without a preorder, hurts your scores. The stories coming out are about how Gamestop employees adjust to these management measures.

Just something to keep in mind shopping at Gamestop.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 3rd, 2017, 9:40 am

scotland wrote:Just FYI stuff, but articles out there on a Gamestop policy called Circle of Life, or COL. Its basically monitoring every store and employee on metrics about pre-orders, memberships, used sales, and trade ins.

Nothing wrong with that, except some of the measurements are percentages. Anyone with 3rd grade fractions will understand then that selling new stuff, especially without a preorder, hurts your scores. The stories coming out are about how Gamestop employees adjust to these management measures.

Just something to keep in mind shopping at Gamestop.

I just started seeing people I fallow on youtube post about this. Another reason why I will never work at retail ever again. When I worked at Toys R Us many moons ago, they did a sales conversion for batteries and rewards cards. If you didnt get X amount of either per X amount of sales, you got written up. Needless to say, I switched to an overnight position to escape that BS.

I also worked at target and it was the same thing for their "Red Cards." ugh, I loathed that. If you store hit your red card quota for the year, all of the salaried managers got a bonus. That bonus was supped to trickle down to the hourly employees but it never seemed to make it anyones paychecks. Weird how that works.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 3rd, 2017, 12:30 pm

This reminds me of a few weeks ago when a kid was trying to trade in Kirby: triple deluxe and his mom was insistent that he would get more for it online, which he probably would have. They argued back and forth for the ten minutes I was in there. Finally, the mom turned to the guys working there and said, "no offense guys, I hate this store." The guys said "we don't take offense, we kinda do too."

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 3rd, 2017, 2:28 pm

Can't remember the last time I went into a GameStop. We have a local chain in the Midwest called Slackers that's a million times more inviting, and they sell music too. I don't think it's fair to judge the brick-and-mortar used game marketplace by its worst, most soulless example when other stores exist that are MUCH better in every way.

Edit: Also V-Stock, which has a great section for used books as well.

Return to “Video Games General”