Xbox One First Impressions

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 11th, 2014, 11:21 pm

Setting up the Xbox One is time consuming.  I REALLY didn't want to take this on-line, but it pretty much left me no choice in the start-up screens. I figured, okay, the PS4 made me do something similar.  

The initial update took the better part of an hour, then things got really annoying.  You actually need to set up an Xbox Live account and verify your account via email.  There are a heck of a lot of personal questions (like real name and birth date) and a lot of check boxes to UNcheck (unless you want to receive all sorts of junk).  There are also EULAs to agree to also.  This kind of crap makes me yearn for the old days.  I didn't get the Kinect so at least I don't have to mess around with that.  

When I finally got my dashboard up, the first thing I did was disconnect my network connection. That felt good, but will the system pester me to reconnect?  I'm curious to see.

The system doesn't look bad but I was a little nervous about peeling off that HDMI/warning sticker on the front.  Is that thing really necessary?  The controller looks like a third-party Xbox 360 controller.  Kind of small for my hands and the digital pad is very clicky.  The buttons and triggers are comfortable though.  

My first game is Forza 5 and it's a good one.  The graphics are photo-realistic but the vibration/feedback really steal the show.  The triggers will actually resist you and the effect is pretty amazing.  So far this looks like a winner.

After I turned the console off it still seems to be doing stuff - hopefully finishing that Forza install.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » June 12th, 2014, 12:13 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]Setting up the Xbox One is time consuming.  I REALLY didn't want to take this on-line, but it pretty much left me no choice in the start-up screens. I figured, okay, the PS4 made me do something similar.  

The initial update took the better part of an hour, then things got really annoying.  You actually need to set up an Xbox Live account and verify your account via email.  There are a heck of a lot of personal questions (like real name and birth date) and a lot of check boxes to UNcheck (unless you want to receive all sorts of junk).  There are also EULAs to agree to also.  This kind of crap makes me yearn for the old days.  I didn't get the Kinect so at least I don't have to mess around with that.  

When I finally got my dashboard up, the first thing I did was disconnect my network connection. That felt good, but will the system pester me to reconnect?  I'm curious to see.

The system doesn't look bad but I was a little nervous about peeling off that HDMI/warning sticker on the front.  Is that thing really necessary?  The controller looks like a third-party Xbox 360 controller.  Kind of small for my hands and the digital pad is very clicky.  The buttons and triggers are comfortable though.  

My first game is Forza 5 and it's a good one.  The graphics are photo-realistic but the vibration/feedback really steal the show.  The triggers will actually resist you and the effect is pretty amazing.  So far this looks like a winner.

After I turned the console off it still seems to be doing stuff - hopefully finishing that Forza install.[/QUOTE]

I felt that the X1 setup was relatively painless, at least compared to the initial setup of my launch Wii U. I do feel that the X1 in particular strongly prioritizes online functionality such that it might not provide much utility for you as an offline device going forward. I'm not even sure that, with Microsoft's research into cloud gaming, there will be such thing as truly offline experiences on the X1 in the future.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 12th, 2014, 12:18 am

Yikes, sounds like a pain to set up.

I remember the glory days. The sixth generation was the last true gaming generation. You took the system out of the box,  you plugged it in, you'd put your game inside, turn it on, and BOOM, you're playing the game! No updates, no hassle, no mandatory online. Where is that nowadays?

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 12th, 2014, 2:33 am

Glad to hear your enjoying it, the setup does admittedly sound kind of annoying, but the games are what really matter and on that front it sounds good so far.

Sounds like you found the controller to be better then the PS4's Dualshock

What other games are you planning on picking up for the system?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 12th, 2014, 11:01 pm

I'm getting all kinds of controller disconnect errors while trying to play Forza 5.  I suspect it may be confused because I'm not on-line.  It prompts me to select a profile but keeps giving me a controller error.  It's a known problem but not sure if there's an easy solution.  Not impressed!!

Late note: downloading the Forza update to see if that helps.  It's 13 GB.  

wgames771

Postby wgames771 » June 13th, 2014, 4:29 am

This is yet another reason why I'm not getting a next gen console.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » June 13th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Considering how you feel about online gaming I'm surprised you bothered to buy the Xbone. I mean the Xbone was built for online gaming wasn't it? Even knowing that you still decided to get one? I don't think you're going to love the Xbone, while hating the dependence it has on the internet.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2014, 9:02 am

[QUOTE=Tron]Considering how you feel about online gaming I'm surprised you bothered to buy the Xbone. I mean the Xbone was built for online gaming wasn't it? Even knowing that you still decided to get one? I don't think you're going to love the Xbone, while hating the dependence it has on the internet.[/QUOTE]

I think I underestimated its dependence on the Internet.  I figured there was just an "disconnect network" option like the PS4.  Wrong!

While it's possible to play off-line, the system tends to make your life a living hell if you do, so I think I'll need to keep it on-line.

My friend Scott pointed out that Microsoft didn't design this as a console, but as streaming revenue box.  If you're off-line, they can't milk you.

It's a learning experience for me.  I may not like it now, but I'll give it a chance and we'll see how it goes.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 14th, 2014, 12:01 pm

On a side note, I hear that a new Xbox One ads were using voice commands like "Xbox On!" and it was turning people's consoles on.

I don't know why that makes me laugh.

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » June 14th, 2014, 3:21 pm

[QUOTE=weallmissedme]On a side note, I hear that a new Xbox One ads were using voice commands like "Xbox On!" and it was turning people's consoles on.

I don't know why that makes me laugh.[/QUOTE]

That is quite funny. I wonder if Sony have considered an "Xbox format disk!" advert? ;-)

Return to “Video Games General”