These Message Boards

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

These Message Boards

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2014, 10:19 am

I'm really starting to appreciate the quality of these messages boards.  At any given time you can expect interesting discussion and civilized debates about a wide range of game-related topics - classic to modern.  And the people are really nice!  I know it can take time for your message to post, but I think the moderators do a fantastic job of keeping things running smoothly here.

Have you check out the boards on some of the other game sites?  They are HORRIBLE. People are so mean and condescending.  God forbid a newbie come along and ask a basic question.  It's like they all have their exclusive little clubs or something.

And it's even worse on major sites like CNN and SlashDot.  People who obviously know nothing about the subject matter always feel the need to chime in.

I know there are exceptions (I think the Atari Age forums are pretty good), but in general I'd take these boards over all the rest.

HardcoreSadism1

These Message Boards

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 14th, 2014, 10:25 am

Gonna be honest.

It's extremely hard to praise companies on these boards without a stink of political drama unfolding.

I don't play favorites or at least do not express favoritism. If barely even.

I love Nintendo. But it's hard to even discuss their strategy without a tangent in the horizon. That includes here.

pacguy191

These Message Boards

Postby pacguy191 » June 14th, 2014, 11:21 am

It's all well and good until someone derails a topic enough to get locked, and that's been happening a lot recently.

But yeah, I like smaller boards where you end up knowing everyone at least a little. It might say 500 people have signed up but you really only see 30 of them on a regular basis.

gleebergloben1

These Message Boards

Postby gleebergloben1 » June 14th, 2014, 11:54 am

VGC, I agree about the level of discourse here, which is why I've been coming to this site for years. I've seen a lot of old faces like Atarifever, Leo, Paul123, m0zart, Steer (Sega), JustLikeHeaven, Actraiser, etc, and a lot of the newer faces who post some really insightful comments.

Yeah, it can get heated and divisive at times, but at least people try to be civil to each other. And I have no problems with arguing on these boards, as long as everyone keeps an open mind.

Now let's all have an Otter Pop.

Gentlegamer1

These Message Boards

Postby Gentlegamer1 » June 14th, 2014, 12:01 pm

I still think per post approval needs to be removed... it's a relic of the time when any lurker could leave a message without registering a forum account.

N64Dude1

These Message Boards

Postby N64Dude1 » June 14th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Tv Tropes is another absolutely fantastic place to discuss tech and video games (anything related to fiction actually), it juggles hundreds to thousands of users.

And yet it manages to remain just as civil as this place if not better since it doesn't get itself testy over modern stuff leading to an insta-lock.

Any trouble caused just leads to someone getting bounced off the topic,unless there is a serious need for a ban.

I really do wish there was way to do that, because a decent size of these Wii U threads had interesting enough ideas,that simply devolved into one person getting hurt by dissent and turning it into a Flame War.

Obviously as is,the option seems to be to either lock the thread up or to continue the subject to derail further and further

Atarifever1

These Message Boards

Postby Atarifever1 » June 14th, 2014, 5:13 pm

I spent some time in the IGN comments sections to get a feel for the wider gaming audience. It really shows how great this place is. I disagree with some people here regularly who I think are obvious fanboys, but even they seem to be decent human beings. On the IGN comment sections I am not 100% sure most posters on there even were human beings. One guy honestly said (multiple times in one topic) that people who like Nintendo games only do it to lure children. He said that was true for every adult who liked any Nintendo game.

Another guy told someone to drink bleach and die because he liked Playstation. That's discourse over there. "Hey, I love The Last of Us." "Yeah, well drink bleach and die!"

Vexer1

These Message Boards

Postby Vexer1 » June 14th, 2014, 6:39 pm

I think Gamefaqs generally has good boards, IGN not so much though, they do come off as awfully condescending there, I used to be on Gamespot for a short time and it was alright, but it wasn't interesting enough for me to come back often.

I like it on here, though I do feel that sometimes there is a bit of an anti-modern slant in some threads which I don't agree with.

Teddybear1

These Message Boards

Postby Teddybear1 » June 14th, 2014, 7:59 pm

I agree too as the VGC is still my favorite place on the net.  I check in at least two times a day (kind of like brushing my teeth....and sometimes even a third time after lunch!)

Sometimes I do wish one of you old-timers would let me know such things like IT'S THE PRINCESS flipping you off in the title screen of Colecovision's Dragonfire.

http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/colecovision-dragonfire-6925025

Happy Father's Day to all us Dads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

These Message Boards

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2014, 8:21 pm

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer]I still think per post approval needs to be removed... it's a relic of the time when any lurker could leave a message without registering a forum account.[/QUOTE]

True, but there are benefits.

On some boards like CNN, people start sparring with each other, going back and forth and dominating the conversation.  Here, you say your peace, and come back tomorrow to respond to any replies.  That gives more people a chance to chime in.

Return to “Video Games General”