Amiibos?

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: Amiibos?

Postby scotland » September 24th, 2015, 8:46 am

download.jpg
download.jpg (6.98 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

Ahem. How about H.E.R.B.I.E. of the 1978 Fantastic Four cartoon? He came earlier, and he probably has forebears too. There is also V.I.N.Cent of Disneys Black Hole, but that is post Herbie. Definately not original to Nintendos R.O.B.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 25th, 2015, 6:54 am

I've never seen H.E.R.B.I.E before. I do see the resemblance.

When I was a kid my stepdad bought me a Disney's Black Hole lunchbox. He didn't buy me much stuff so this stood out to me. I studied the lunchbox & always wanted to watch the movie. I used to keep crayons in it. I still have the lunchbox in my bathroom closet & keep band aids & ointments in it. I've beeen looking for this movie for years & have still never seen it. I really need to watch this movie already.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 25th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Tron wrote:I've never seen H.E.R.B.I.E before. I do see the resemblance. When I was a kid my stepdad bought me a Disney's Black Hole lunchbox. ... I really need to watch this movie already.

H.E.R.B.I.E has an interesting history about why a cute robot replaced the Human Torch in the cartoon. The cartoon never hit the heights of Superfriends, but it was pretty well known to kids in the late 70s.

Go hunt down a copy of Disney's The Black Hole. I predates Tron by a few years, but its still a time when animated cartoons were not doing well for Disney, their live action family films had also not done well, and they were trying to branch out in some creative directions. Its kinda like a post Star Wars SciFi remake of 20,000 leagues under the Sea. It has an older cast, with Yvette Mimieux, who played the lovely Weena almost 20 years earlier in The Time Machine as one example.

The robot Vincent combines the Herbie look with R2D2 look really well, with a lot of Spock attitude and patronizing. The movie has a hard time deciding what it wants to be - its got a lot of 2001 A Space Odyssey metaphysics combined with Star Wars space action, some bizarre physics, and some memorable body horror (for Disney, no less). If they do a remake, I expect that body horror could really be mined for some scares. I saw this one in the theater, so got the big screen viewing - the ending is one that left us talking about it, for sure. The characters are mostly cliche, but a few tip toward silly (Slim Pickins?), and one is really classic (you'll know him when you see him). Would have made a great Lost in Space movie really.

Return to “Video Games General”