User Voting Beta

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

User Voting Beta

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 16th, 2014, 2:32 pm

I'd like to invite you all to beta test the new User Voting Link.

It's an effort to make the site more interactive.  Now YOU can vote on what grade you think a game really deserves.

The test page is basically a copy of one of my 3DO pages with the new voting feature built in.  Look at the grades section on the right part of the green bars.  Instead of saying Grade: it says Critic: [my grade] followed by Readers: [grade avg] (# votes).

It registers each vote by IP address, so if you vote more than once for a particular game, it will just overwrite your previous vote.  Keep in mind this is in a testing phase.  If something go haywire I may have to disable the voting feature. Also, the votes won't really count (I'll clear them before starting for real) so feel free to mess around.

Any feedback is welcome.  Perhaps the wording (votes, reader grade) should change.  This was just the best I could come up with so far.  Open to all ideas.

ptdebate1

User Voting Beta

Postby ptdebate1 » November 16th, 2014, 2:51 pm

Cool! This looks like it will be a really popular feature, as you have some very opinionated readers. I voted on all the games on the beta page.

ZetaX1

User Voting Beta

Postby ZetaX1 » November 16th, 2014, 5:56 pm

Just to let you know, it seems to work fine on my Android tablet (Jellybean OS).

Astrosmasher1

User Voting Beta

Postby Astrosmasher1 » November 16th, 2014, 6:39 pm

It is on the 3do.  I never had one of these. So I cannot vote on any of the games.

Rev1

User Voting Beta

Postby Rev1 » November 17th, 2014, 7:10 am

Cool, it's nice to see this feature coming to life (I remember recommending this like a couple years ago). It looks pretty good but I was wondering if maybe the reader's grade and your grade could somehow be on separate lines? Maybe yours be green and the other be some other color (not too sure on this one, maybe orange or something?). That way your eyes know which is which without even having to really look? I know your icons are used on the line right below, so not sure how this could work out, but might be worth looking into.

JustLikeHeaven1

User Voting Beta

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » November 17th, 2014, 9:53 am

[QUOTE=Rev]Cool, it's nice to see this feature coming to life (I remember recommending this like a couple years ago). It looks pretty good but I was wondering if maybe the reader's grade and your grade could somehow be on separate lines? Maybe yours be green and the other be some other color (not too sure on this one, maybe orange or something?). That way your eyes know which is which without even having to really look? I know your icons are used on the line right below, so not sure how this could work out, but might be worth looking into.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this completely.  I don't like how the readers vote is so close to your actual score.  For some reason it just doesn't look appealing.  Can't really explain it...but yeah maybe it should be on a line below or something or in a different color like Rev said.

Also, I test it out on my iPad and it worked great.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

User Voting Beta

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 17th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Excellent feedback guys - keep it coming!

I originally did have the reader grade on the line below my grade, but then then the green stripe on the right was thick, and didn't balance.

Perhaps I can put the game title and publisher/year on two different lines on the left to balance it out?  Do you think that would work?

Maybe below the green stripe I could have a blue one that's a little more narrow, and use that for the publisher/year (on left) and reader grade (on right).

ActRaiser1

User Voting Beta

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 17th, 2014, 5:21 pm

I like the idea of splitting your grades from the readers grade a bit more.  The other odd thing and this might just be me, but the blue link on a green back ground is hard to see.  Maybe, it's just my screen but it blends in too much.

Have you considered a voting icon or button instead of a link?  Perhaps, something small and innocuous would work well.  That might take care of the blue link on a green background issue.  Although, if you move it around that may take care of it as well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

User Voting Beta

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 18th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Good points Actraiser.  I'm working with Mark to space things out a bit and perhaps improve the graphics (including possibly using a button).

If you look at the Beta page now you'll see I applied some changes to the first review (for now).  Getting better??

I also changed the wording on the pop up box so check that out too.

Rev1

User Voting Beta

Postby Rev1 » November 18th, 2014, 10:04 pm

It looks a lot better with the second review scores on a separate line. I'm excited to see what it'll look like with the final changes. You're on the right track.

Return to “Video Games General”