Valentine's Day or St. Patrick's Day Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » February 14th, 2015, 4:10 am

Girl's Garden for the Sega SG-1000 in this case the girl has to collect flowers to stop her man leaving her for another woman !

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » February 14th, 2015, 8:42 am

Intellivision's Beauty and the Beast would belong in a V-Day's special.  For any dude that is willing to climb a 100 -story building to get his girl back......it must be love.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 14th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude.

Ferf131

Postby Ferf131 » February 14th, 2015, 6:57 pm

Valentine's day games:

Kung Fu (NES) Thomas saving his kidnapped girlfriend.
Catherine (PS3 or Xbox 360)

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » February 14th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I don't know... As far as games filled with love there are a ton you could possibly choose. However, games with actual Valentine's Day themes are a much harder group to try and find. I guess if you list what kind of themes you're looking for (other than there being some kind of love between the characters) it might be easier to find such titles. Chulip and Girl's Garden are the only two that sound remotely like actual Valentine's Day themes. Also, since you don't have a Sg-1000 that leaves Chulip....

Valentine's Day Themes-
1. Trying to woo a lady with chocolate, romantic dinners, letters, or something like this.
2. lots of hearts
3. Having love be the primary reason for the game...

I'm not too sure honestly.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » February 14th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Didn't the NES version of Kid Icarus look a lot like Cupid to you?

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » February 15th, 2015, 6:50 am

scotland wrote:Didn't the NES version of Kid Icarus look a lot like Cupid to you?
On that note, there's also Chubby Cherub. Other than that, the only other game I can think that hasn't been mentioned already is Katawa Shoujo. But that's PC only so, I'm not expecting a review of that. I agree with everyone saying Chulip. I would love to see a review for that crazy game. As for St. Patrick's Day... I have no idea what games would fit.

scotland

Re: Valentine's Day or St. Patrick's Day Games?

Postby scotland » February 14th, 2017, 9:25 am

Putting together some of the Valentines recommendations. Most of these have to do with love or relationships, but not necessarily Valentines Day (chocolate, dancing, cupid, etc).

* Japanese dating sims
* Popeye (catching floating hearts)
* Chulip
* Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
* Persona Franchise
* Dragon Age Franchise
* Fire Emblem: Awakening
* Final Fantasy Franchise
* Dragon Quest V
* Harvest Moon Franchise
* Ms Pac Man
* Dragon's Lair
* Leisure Suit Larry
* Girls Garden
* Beauty and the Beast (intellivision)
* Kung Fu
* Catherine
* Kid Icarus
* Chubby Cherub

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » February 14th, 2017, 10:32 am

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is a good Valentine's Day game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 14th, 2017, 10:40 am

For Valentine's Day, Chulip for PS2 was also the first one that popped in my head. I've never played it, but it's a well respected retro game that was overlooked back in the day and is sought after nowadays...which also means it gets a little pricey (maybe $35-$50). It's a very quirky Japanese game- so much so that it almost wasn't ported over here. That's probably your best bet, in both theme and quality. But overall, I can't think of any games that are actually based on Valentine's Day and very few that have a romantic theme at the center of the game. Things that pop in my head are Japanese dating sims (which are never in English) and, of course, Girl's Club for the CD-i. Let's not forget that classic gem.

For St. Patrick's Day, I can't think of any. There was an early-80s arcade game called Leprechaun that I've played at Funspot arcade in NH, but I don't think it was ever ported to consoles. I like the prior suggestion of Tapper...might be the closest you'll get. Wikipedia has a list of video games set in Ireland, but Bard's Tale (Xbox, PS2) is the only one that seems to put Ireland, Celtic mythology, etc. as a key theme in the game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... in_Ireland .

Return to “Video Games General”