New Message Boards Coming

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » April 4th, 2015, 7:13 pm

Also made a new account and tested it, works fine.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 4th, 2015, 8:59 pm

My original password didn't work, so I confirmed what email I used to sign up here by sending myself a message through the forum software.

Yet when I try to reset my password on the new forum with this username I'm posting under paired with the email address that I know with certainty is correct, it tells me that "The email/username information submitted could not be found."

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » April 4th, 2015, 9:20 pm

I also had to re register. Worst case I can drop the numeric suffix but I like having the user history retained if possible.

Lots more options such as quotes and list on mobile. Saw reader reviews back too.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » April 5th, 2015, 12:42 am

So far, not so good. As others have stated, my password did not work, so I tried having another password sent but it did not recognize my e-mail. So I tried a few more things, and out of frustration, decided to make a new account (but I couldn't use my original screen name which was a bummer).

Then when I tried to do a search for stuff on the new message board, but the search yielded zero results. I tried about 5 or 10 different key words, but zilch. And these key words always worked on the old message boards.

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » April 5th, 2015, 3:56 am

I also can't access my account there.

I don't mind re-registering though, if it's nesscerry.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » April 5th, 2015, 11:19 am

It says my password is wrong. Which is unfortunate because I'm not 100% sure what my password is in the first place. So I don't know if I'm actually putting in the wrong password or if I'm having the same problem as everyone else.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

In the new system the passwords are blank.  I was hoping you could just select the "forget password" link and reset it to whatever you want.  Guess not.  I'll see what I can do but it's possible everyone will need to re-register.

Also, it appears the search is not working for the old messages I imported.  I'll see what I can do about that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2015, 1:24 pm

Well I think I figured out how to index the messages so the search will work.  Haven't done it yet but shouldn't be too bad.

As for the user accounts, I'm thinking it's probably for the best if everyone re-registers, since the new system has a lot more preferences and options.  

The thing is, would changing your usernames be a problem?  

I need those old account names in the system so names will appear with the old messages.  However, I could modify the old accounts to have some kind of extension (Ex. Rev1) which would allow you to reregister using your current name.

Comments?  Ideas?  Feel free to keep testing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2015, 2:05 pm

I see some of you posted messages and that's been helpful.

Just so you know, I will be reimporting the data today (to fix the indexing) so if your messages suddenly vanish that's the reason why.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » April 5th, 2015, 3:19 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic] ... would changing your usernames be a problem?  

I need those old account names in the system so names will appear with the old messages.  However, I could modify the old accounts to have some kind of extension (Ex. Rev1) [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the indexing / search. I use it often.

I do search for posts by username too, so if names need to change, I would advocate changing old names in a systematic way such as Rev's older posts becoming Rev1's posts.

For those of us who had numbers already, those could be replaced a 1 too.

This also lets us who know each other by handles not have to relearn the whos who of VGC forums.

Return to “Video Games General”