Microsoft E3 conference

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Atarifever1 » June 10th, 2013, 8:55 pm

[QUOTE=David] but there's no way in hell this thing is going to have mass appeal worldwide at this price with the restrictions it has.[/QUOTE]
And that really is the key point, isn't it.  What part of the multimedia-cablebox is going to make Joe Non-gamer spend $500?  Half a grand.  For what?  Bing taking up a chunk of the TV screen?  There's nothing there worth $500 to people whp already have computers, smartphones, and tablets.  $500!  I have two computers in this house that were barely $500 combined!  I'm typing on one right now and am about to use it to watch the Sony press conference, then play the new Rainslick Precipice of Darkness game on Steam.  $500!  For a channel guide the cablebox already has.  The more I think about it the worse it sounds.  Five one hundred dollar bills to try to convince your friends to each also spend $500 to leave free Yahoo Fantasy Sports (or the other popular ones) and play using the NFL official one so it can (WOW!) update on the side of the screen!  Like how it already updates on your computer and smartphone now.  They're insane.  Full on insane.  Five hundred dollars.  Crazy.   

Blueguy1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Blueguy1 » June 10th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Good news for Sony fans; turns out they're not only supporting used games, but they won't be restricted of charged against as well. This is what I've heard of course, my sources are as reliable as Chris Broussard's are to ESPN.

Segatarious1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Segatarious1 » June 10th, 2013, 11:18 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=David] but there's no way in hell this thing is going to have mass appeal worldwide at this price with the restrictions it has.[/QUOTE]
And that really is the key point, isn't it.  What part of the multimedia-cablebox is going to make Joe Non-gamer spend $500?  Half a grand.  For what?  Bing taking up a chunk of the TV screen?  There's nothing there worth $500 to people whp already have computers, smartphones, and tablets.  $500!  I have two computers in this house that were barely $500 combined!  I'm typing on one right now and am about to use it to watch the Sony press conference, then play the new Rainslick Precipice of Darkness game on Steam.  $500!  For a channel guide the cablebox already has.  The more I think about it the worse it sounds.  Five one hundred dollar bills to try to convince your friends to each also spend $500 to leave free Yahoo Fantasy Sports (or the other popular ones) and play using the NFL official one so it can (WOW!) update on the side of the screen!  Like how it already updates on your computer and smartphone now.  They're insane.  Full on insane.  Five hundred dollars.  Crazy.   [/QUOTE]

Atari is right, it is nuts. No way in hell the TV integration has any mass appeal beyond those who would buy the console at launch no matter what. $500 buys me what now? Like I said, people already have this functionality in some form on their phones and tablets, and voice changing channels is nothing.

Damn MS, invent the remote control and you have a winner.

darkrage61

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby darkrage61 » June 10th, 2013, 11:39 pm

I think it'll still sell pretty well, that said I will probably wait until the price goes down before I get one.

ZetaX1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby ZetaX1 » June 10th, 2013, 11:55 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX]
Okay, Sony.  All you've got to do is release something with next-gen graphics, no stupid DRM, a price around $399, and some decent games.  Ball's in your court.

[/QUOTE]

Holy crap.  They actually did it...  Well played, Sony.  Well played.

a1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby a1 » June 11th, 2013, 12:24 am

Watch the video on how to share games on PS4 in the article below. Awesome.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/11/e3-2013-playstation-4-supports-used-games-dont-require-online-connection

weallmissedme1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 11th, 2013, 1:11 am

These so called "next-gen" graphics aren't a huge step up. We've been playing games like that on PC for years now. The Wii U has plenty of market space. When they show off the games, and drop the price, Christmas is theirs.

darkrage61

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby darkrage61 » June 11th, 2013, 1:29 am

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2013/06/10/xbox-one-for-499-an-ok-price-historically-speaking/

Also, you can get a discount on the price if you agree to a two-year premium subscription to Live, which could be a pretty good deal depending on how much the discount is.

Verm1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Verm1 » June 11th, 2013, 5:25 am

One little tidbit regarding the Xbox360 that slipped under the radar of many; MS are planning to give away two free games a month to Xbox Gold Subscribers. The first two games are Halo2 and, er I've forgotten the name of the other game.

But certainly, makes you wonder what MS will do with Xbox One on this front.

Return to “Video Games General”