Microsoft E3 conference

General and high profile video game topics.
Verm1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Verm1 » June 11th, 2013, 2:45 pm

[QUOTE=a] That's like adding a headset to the cost of the Xbox One. I can tell you from personal experience that voice chat with Kinect is awful (unless you want to hear your opponent's entire family and ask people to turn down their tv because you can hear it through your headset). [/QUOTE]

As is my understanding, the Xbox One does apparently come with a headset in the box.

a1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby a1 » June 11th, 2013, 3:31 pm

[QUOTE=Verm][QUOTE=a] That's like adding a headset to the cost of the Xbox One. I can tell you from personal experience that voice chat with Kinect is awful (unless you want to hear your opponent's entire family and ask people to turn down their tv because you can hear it through your headset). [/QUOTE]

As is my understanding, the Xbox One does apparently come with a headset in the box.[/QUOTE]

Unless they changed course at E3 (and maybe they did but I didn't read that), it does not. The Kinect will be used for chat and headsets can be purchased separately. This is the first link I found, but I'm sure I read it on Game Informer or IGN.

http://n4g.com/news/1262521/xbox-one-wont-include-chat-headset

Verm1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Verm1 » June 11th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Ok, I guess I was mistaken with that one then. Apologies.

Leo1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Leo1 » June 11th, 2013, 11:20 pm

When posed with a possible situation, a sailor aboard a nuclear submarine that will remain submerged and on deployment for six months or more and obviously without an internet connection, Don Mattrick (The President of the division that includes videogaming at Microsoft) answered  that Microsoft had a solution for those individuals...

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360. If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."

Impressive bit of PR work there.  

a1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby a1 » June 12th, 2013, 8:08 pm

[QUOTE=Leo]

When posed with a possible situation, a sailor aboard a nuclear submarine that will remain submerged and on deployment for six months or more and obviously without an internet connection, Don Mattrick (The President of the division that includes videogaming at Microsoft) answered  that Microsoft had a solution for those individuals...

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360. If you have zero access to the Internet, that is an offline device."

Impressive bit of PR work there.  

[/QUOTE]

Ha ha! His response was basically, "don't buy our new product." What a great salesman! 

HardcoreSadism1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 12th, 2013, 8:53 pm

And as stated in my thread, I hate this Don guy with a passion. He's exactly the type of person you and I have feared to have control in any way of gaming. 

darkrage61

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby darkrage61 » June 12th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Even as someone who is fully intent on buying a One at some point, I agree that Don's statement was ridiculous, that's not going to convince people to buy the system at all.  I think Microsoft should just let the games do the talking.

HardcoreSadism1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 12th, 2013, 9:28 pm

This whole thing escalated exactly how I imagined, Cliffy is polishing off Mattrick now.

Atarifever1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Atarifever1 » June 12th, 2013, 10:30 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]This whole thing escalated exactly how I imagined, Cliffy is polishing off Mattrick now.

[/QUOTE]
My favourite part is about how budgets don't allow for used games, so out goes something the consumer values.  Hey.  Hey Cliffy.  Yeah.  How about you, oh I don't know, control your budget!  My GOD! 

What happens after you kill used games?  What then?  Gamestop sells tons and tons of new games.  Tons and tons of the money (their money by the way) that Gamestop gives people for your old products go back into buying your new products.  So what percentage extra would this allow you?  I'm not saying it won't be a little, but part of what it makes you comes out of money that used to buy your next game.  Because we're moving into even more expensive games, and apparently the comparitively cheaper ones from last generation couldn't sustain it.  So now, somehow, with some percentage of extra money you'll make up all that shortfall from last generation, plus the excess shortfall the new games will be over by even thought they'll cost even more to make, and with increased competition in the games market.  Yeah. Sure.  That makes a lot more sense than seeing where these budget issues really come from and, oh I don't know, not trying to make the best sellling game of all time, every single time, for every single company. 

You know, McDonalds knows the muffins don't sell like the Big Mac, but they sell them anyway.  See, because sometimes, when you don't want a Big Mac meal, they can get money selling you a muffin.  Maybe not every game needs to be the Big mac.  Lots of people like muffins too.  And when McDonald's can't sell you a Big Mac, they try to sell you the muffin.  They don't assume they lost sales to the grocery store down the street and fire bomb it.  All the while yelling at the customers at the grocery store "you only wanted Big Macs! You did this!  You did this to yourselves!"  I think I've taken this metaphor far enough now. 

Atarifever1

Microsoft E3 conference

Postby Atarifever1 » June 12th, 2013, 10:33 pm

By the way, those people who did the funny PS4 abridged conference did the XBone at PS4 ones.  They nailed it again. Warning: Some language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlkZNNaYBro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71H69yDZ6W4

Return to “Video Games General”