Lesson Learned. Don't Stand Your Consoles Up.

General and high profile video game topics.
nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » January 18th, 2014, 12:16 pm

I used to use a vertical stand on my PS2. That is until a few years ago when I borrowed a DVD from my friend and it just wouldn't play on my PS2. I asked my friend if it works and he said that it did. Somehow, I got the idea to lay my PS2 flat. Then suddenly, the DVD played fine. So I threw the vertical stand away.
Fast forward to last week. I thought my Wii was going bad because it wouldn't play any game disc unless the disc was completely flawless and scratch-free. If it had even the tiniest scratch, it would give me an error message. Last week I had rented Zack and Wiki and though the disc seemed perfectly fine at first glance, my Wii refused to play it. Then I thought about the incident with my PS2. I layed my Wii down flat, loaded up Zack and Wiki, and it worked! I haven't had any trouble getting any game to play on it since then.
So for whatever reason, I guess standing your consoles up makes them not work. Lesson learned.  

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 18th, 2014, 2:00 pm

By "standing your console up" do you mean laying it vertically or horizontally?  I learned my lesson not to lay an Xbox 360 horizontally, because it will overheat if you do that, you have to stand it up vertically.

Gamehead1

Postby Gamehead1 » January 18th, 2014, 2:14 pm

That's odd, my PS2 won't play CDs unless its standing up, but it won't play DVDs unless its laying flat. Does anyone else have this problem?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 18th, 2014, 2:18 pm

I remember when people placed their Ps2's vertically, I've never done that. I hate standing my consoles up... Something about it just seems wrong so I always lay them on their side. The one exception to this is my Wii, only because of the thick stand it came with... I've had problems with a couple games on it lately... I will have to try moving it to its side. Good idea!

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » January 18th, 2014, 6:12 pm

@darkrage6

I've had my 360 for 3 1/2 years with no RROD or other issues and I've always
had it laying down (horizontal). I know about the need for air flow in and around
the system, so I have this little milkcrate that I bought at Walmart for a dollar. I
just sit the 360 on top the milkcrate with the open side up (the crate is small
enough so that it sits in the middle of the 360 and doesn't block any of the openings,
allowing air to freely circulate). I also install all my games, which is also supposed
to keep the system cooler. I've heard too many horror stories of people destroying
their games and/or their systems when their system tipped over while the disc was
spinning in the tray, and with cats and little cousins to worry about this is a very
real possibility for me.

a1

Postby a1 » January 18th, 2014, 7:15 pm

If you stand your 360 up you run the risk of ruining your disks. I had it happen, fortunately to a blockbuster game.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » January 18th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I don't really have any way I can keep my 360 horizontal without the possibility of it overheating, I'm risking losing another system that way, so I keep it far enough back and out of the way so that no one will trip over it.  I've never had a disc ruined in all the time I've kept my 360 upright, it depends on which side you stand it up.  As long as you keep the rubber feet on the floor, it shouldn't damage the discs. 

The one time I did accidentally tip over the system while a disc was inside, I was able to use a CD Dr. to repair the scratches and then the game worked just fine.  I don't install games as that in itself can cause issues with gameplay.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 18th, 2014, 10:19 pm

Never played a Wii anything other than vertically,it just looks more impressive that way.

Everything else I prefer horizontally for fear of disc scratching,just doesn't seem natural to have it vertical.

Then again the consoles I do have are pop-toppers which of course only can be done horizontally.

txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » January 23rd, 2014, 10:37 am

I only have the Wii in a vertical position. Everything else lays flat, including my xbox 360 systems. Sometimes, my Wii won't read right though.. makes me curious if its related to what the OP mentioned.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » January 23rd, 2014, 11:44 am

[QUOTE=txsizzler]I only have the Wii in a vertical position. Everything else lays flat, including my xbox 360 systems. Sometimes, my Wii won't read right though.. makes me curious if its related to what the OP mentioned.[/QUOTE]

This is years ago, but I eventually put the system flat because it was marking discs.  I would sure try it.

Return to “Video Games General”