Retron 5 Review

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: Retron 5 Review

Postby scotland » May 24th, 2017, 11:49 am

Thanks. Sorry yours is bricked. I bricked a Dingoo while toying with the OS, so I know the feeling.

I have a Retron 3, and its still working fine. Console build quality is just okay. Controller was poor, but I use vintage controllers anyway. The on-a-chip boards seem to do an acceptable job on the games I own. Not sure how long it will last, but it was a solid purchase for where I use it.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » May 24th, 2017, 1:46 pm

scotland wrote:Thanks. Sorry yours is bricked. I bricked a Dingoo while toying with the OS, so I know the feeling.

I have a Retron 3, and its still working fine. Console build quality is just okay. Controller was poor, but I use vintage controllers anyway. The on-a-chip boards seem to do an acceptable job on the games I own. Not sure how long it will last, but it was a solid purchase for where I use it.

I sold my R3 so I could buy an R5. I still regret that as my R3 was a solid machine.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 10th, 2017, 7:27 am

Sounds like a Retron 77 is on the way, too.

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/ex ... D=vKfzxkpC

The RetroN 77 plays all your favorite 2600 cartridges in beautiful 1080p HD. It's one happenin' pixel party for the senses. Marvel at the slick wood paneling; the on-board game and difficulty select; and the included premium joystick - perfect for all you one-button warriors. Can. You. Dig. It?

I might give this one a try.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » June 10th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Atariboy wrote:Sounds like a Retron 77 is on the way, too.

http://mp037jm24.mapyourshow.com/7_0/ex ... D=vKfzxkpC

The RetroN 77 plays all your favorite 2600 cartridges in beautiful 1080p HD. It's one happenin' pixel party for the senses. Marvel at the slick wood paneling; the on-board game and difficulty select; and the included premium joystick - perfect for all you one-button warriors. Can. You. Dig. It?

I might give this one a try.

Yeah, I just saw this too. My dream is to have something like this that will play Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Colecovision, and Intellivision games, but this could be a good start especially if I can use my harmony cart with it.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 15th, 2017, 2:02 am

This Retron 1 HD or whatever it's branded as, surprisingly doesn't sound awful judging by what I've seen on YouTube. Anyone have any first hand impressions?

It's not up to the standards of the FPGA competition, but it sounds like a fine economical way to enjoy NES cartridges on a modern HDTV.

Rev

Postby Rev » June 15th, 2017, 1:09 pm

So one thing I noticed with my Retron 5 is lag from playing on an 4K tv. Has anyone else noticed that? When I play old consoles on newer tvs that is a common thing but I would think that since the games are basically emulated that wouldn't be an issue. It's probably one of the main reasons I don't use it very often.

Return to “Video Games General”