Retron 5 Review

General and high profile video game topics.
nesfan1

Retron 5 Review

Postby nesfan1 » June 7th, 2014, 6:35 am

Pat the NES Punk posted a review of the Retron 5 on Youtube. I thought I'd post it here since a lot of you guys have been talking about it for the past year or so. What with it being delayed and all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcF1vY_3ck

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retron 5 Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 7th, 2014, 9:16 am

I watched this.  Sounds like the machine works great with normal carts, but special carts (Game Genie, Sonic and Knuckles, homebrews) give it a hard time.  I wish they had found a way to incorporate light gun support.

I think the biggest flaw is the buggy save game system.  Hopefully that is something they will be able to patch.

I'm not ready to make the leap just yet.

Edward1

Retron 5 Review

Postby Edward1 » June 7th, 2014, 11:27 am

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]

I think the biggest flaw is the buggy save game system.  Hopefully that is something they will be able to patch.
[/QUOTE]

The joy of playing old cartridges is that they just work out of the box.  I think I'll pass on this system if it requires downloading updates like that.  I liked the Retron 3 because it just worked with 99% of games. This one I'm not so sure of.

Greisha1

Retron 5 Review

Postby Greisha1 » June 7th, 2014, 11:35 am

No CRT output? Boooo.

Rev1

Retron 5 Review

Postby Rev1 » June 7th, 2014, 12:39 pm

That was a great overview, watched the whole thing. The only thing that makes me wary would have to be the saving feature. I guess you could save state with the game, right? Even then, it seems pretty buggy right now, hopefully those things can be fixed with a few firmware updates.

Noah981

Retron 5 Review

Postby Noah981 » June 8th, 2014, 8:07 am

I got my Retron 5 from Amazon on Friday. So far, I've had nothing but problems.

First, The update did not go smoothly and their servers kept crashing.

When I finally got it updated, it worked but randomly crashes during gameplay and reboots the system. This is a dealbreaker to say the least! My wife and kids had each game eventually crash when playing together. All of my carts are super clean so it wasn't that.

It's a shame because the picture quality is really good. Also, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy Advance games are really fun to play on the big screen.

I had no luck with my homebrew/hack nes carts like Super Mario Xmas, Nes Xmas 2013, and my Famicom multicart.

Last, the controller feels like cheap junk and thankfully you can get by without using it.

I'm going to contact Hyperkin on Monday and if it seems like too much of a hassle, I'm going to send this right back to Amazon. I only payed $76 for it with free shipping and no tax (amazon gold box pre order) so I wish I could get it to work properly considering the normal $140 price.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retron 5 Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2014, 11:21 am

Thanks for the preliminary review Noah!  The more I hear, the more I think I will wait for the Retron 6!

Tron1

Retron 5 Review

Postby Tron1 » June 8th, 2014, 2:50 pm

The main reason I wanted this system was for the save files. Since the save files apparently don't work then I guess I'll have to pass on this. The idea of being able to save your games at any point was very appealing. I thought that since this system was delayed for so long and the fact that it's not cheap at $140 that this feature would be rock solid. What a disappointment. The compatibility issues I could accept. I could even accept the lack of light guns, but I've been looking forward to being able to save my games for too long to just forget about it now. Sounds Like a huge fail to me. All these months of waiting and it doesn't even save the games?

Requiring internet updates for a retro system sounds like a major inconvenience as well. Pretty soon toasters and lamps will require updates and patches as well.

Having some up scaled graphics, conversion to a high def tv and being able to run games from multiple systems is nice. Still it's not enough for me to box up my original systems and tube TVs for.
Maybe by the time my tube TVs die the Retron 8 will get the saving of games part done right.

Last but not least I want to give a shout out to Pat for the video. He's a cool dude who doesn't have to resort to some lame "angry" or vulgar mouth tactics to get his point across. Thanks for not making me feel like a moron for liking video games.

vegas83

Retron 5 Review

Postby vegas83 » June 8th, 2014, 8:58 pm

Noah, I would be happy to but this from you for the $76 you paid plus shipping if you are looking to get rid of this system, please let me know. Can pay via paypal right away.

Return to “Video Games General”