The Next 3d Sonic (Sonic Boom) is looking pretty terrible.

General and high profile video game topics.
Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 8th, 2014, 11:40 pm

A gameplay video of the next sonic game, Sonic Boom, has been posted on youtube.  Take a look. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXgXF2t1Psc

I don't like judging something by simply a 5 minute video. But this time, I can't help it. This just looks terrible.

It looks like a bargain bin game with Sonic slapped on it. The textures look terrible. They seem to be going for a look similar to Ratchet and Clank, but it doesn't look anywhere near as good.  The levels seem very bland and empty. The animations simply don't look natural, I don't know how to describe it. The voices are terrible.  Also, the game seems to focus on combat over platforming. It actually seems like some parts are influence by God of War strangely. But it doesn't look anywhere as good.

I got my hopes up for Sonic Lost World. However, I'm glad they posted this video, so I know to not expect anything out of this. I could be wrong, but from this video, it looks like Sonic's trend of terrible games is continuing. Take a look at the video and judge for yourself.  However, I've been playing Mario 3d World over the past week, and the difference in quality between that game and this video is insane, so maybe I'm currently biased.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 9th, 2014, 12:26 am

That was embarrassing. I'm not sure what else Sega could be doing but it'd still be a better idea than that.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 9th, 2014, 12:56 am

I don't know, I actually think that it looks promising. This looks like a huge improvement, gameplay-wise, over Lost World.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 9th, 2014, 2:35 am

Very strongly disagree, I think the textures look amazing and every bit as good if not moreso then Ratchet and Clank, the levels look great and the animations seem solid enough, I also like the voices, I think comparing it to God Of War is a HUGE stretch though.  For me personally, I still prefer Sonic over Mario and I don't think there's THAT big of a leap in quality between the two, certainly not "insane", i'll definitely be pre-ordering this one.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 9th, 2014, 3:10 am

I lost faith in it as soon as I heard Sonic yell "RINGS! Nom-nom-nom-nom-nom". How bad can it get? Sega, do yourself a favor. LISTEN TO YOUR FANS FOR ONCE!

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 9th, 2014, 10:17 am

Nice "Goatse" reference with that giant ring. No I won't describe what the hell that even is since it's morbidly inappropriate.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 9th, 2014, 10:22 am

That's not the only game though.  This is a western Sonic cartoon tie-in (not even releasing in Japan the last I heard).  A proper Sonic is in parellel development by the real Sonic Team.  I believe it's more in the vein of Generations and Colours. 

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » June 9th, 2014, 12:25 pm

If I was going to make fun of Western developers, I'd claim they'd beat the textures into a dull, dark, lifeless stew, then pump Knuckles full of steroids, add in God of War style brawling, and add in the most hilarious voice-overs from a forgotten "Let's Play" channel with views in the low double digits...which I'm sure will only get better during repeat play-throughs.  

And then someone would slap me upside the head for being racist, because Retro studios has shown that Western developers can master Japanese gameplay styles...

So, I apologize, but since I'm not racist, I refuse to believe any part of this exists.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 9th, 2014, 4:14 pm

They really need to calm down with the Sonic releases, they should let Sonic Team have sole autonomy and release games bi-annually and I guarantee you would see standards return.
I mean it's not like Sega hasn't got loads of IP's they can produce other games for is it ?
I can't see the reason they are flogging poor old Sonic to death.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 9th, 2014, 4:43 pm

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]If I was going to make fun of Western developers, I'd claim they'd beat the textures into a dull, dark, lifeless stew, then pump Knuckles full of steroids, add in God of War style brawling, and add in the most hilarious voice-overs from a forgotten "Let's Play" channel with views in the low double digits...which I'm sure will only get better during repeat play-throughs.  

And then someone would slap me upside the head for being racist, because Retro studios has shown that Western developers can master Japanese gameplay styles...

So, I apologize, but since I'm not racist, I refuse to believe any part of this exists.

[/QUOTE]

Pretty fair point -funny!

The game play looks like typical Sonic, I guess I cannot say much, I still have not gotten around to getting Lost World, I wonder what that is selling for these days?

SEGA should have got Nintendo to make them 3 exclusive Mario games, lol! Fair trade?

Return to “Video Games General”