Most frustrating level ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
soporj1

Postby soporj1 » April 28th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Pick one game, one level.

I've been playing Donkey Kong Country 3 and the Ripsaw Rage level just about made me put my controller through the TV. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 28th, 2012, 5:25 pm

Water level in Kameo. Worst controls, worst level design, and the all time worst boss. Not the worst boss in an adventure game. Not worst in history. Worst, cheapest, most frustrating boss possible. He will never be topped. Never beat him. Didn't want to play after that anyway.

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 29th, 2012, 12:34 am

Doesn't exactly count as a "level", but these guys gave me a ton of trouble before:

- Gill in Street Fighter III
- Rugal Bernstein in KOF '94
- Omega Rugal in KOF '02
- Geese Howard in Fatal Fury
- M. Bison in Street Fighter Alpha 3

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 29th, 2012, 2:17 am

That damn junker level in Gears Of War, one of the main reasons why I never want to play through that game again.

Glitchologteam1

Postby Glitchologteam1 » April 29th, 2012, 8:39 am

Street Fighter Alpha 3 has one of the cheapest CPU ever in a fighting game. Even at the easiest difficulty, they are cheap. I can't imagine the hardest difficulty setting.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 29th, 2012, 12:23 pm

One that comes to mind for me is the "bridge to nowhere" game in one of the original Crash Bandicoot games (1 or 2 I think).  You're running into the screen on a rope bridge that's missing planks, and the remaining fall off as soon as you touch them.  I think it took me and my friend George about an hour to get through that.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » April 29th, 2012, 12:55 pm

[QUOTE]One that comes to mind for me is the "bridge to nowhere" game in one of the original Crash Bandicoot games (1 or 2 I think).  You're running into the screen on a rope bridge that's missing planks, and the remaining fall off as soon as you touch them.  I think it took me and my friend George about an hour to get through that.[/QUOTE]

It was in the first game.  We finished that level quickly.  Theres' a trick to it:  walk on the ropes!  You'll fall off a few times, but once you get the hang of it the levels a breeze. 

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 29th, 2012, 1:37 pm

[QUOTE=Pacman000][QUOTE]One that comes to mind for me is the "bridge to nowhere" game in one of the original Crash Bandicoot games (1 or 2 I think).  You're running into the screen on a rope bridge that's missing planks, and the remaining fall off as soon as you touch them.  I think it took me and my friend George about an hour to get through that.[/QUOTE]

It was in the first game.  We finished that level quickly.  Theres' a trick to it:  walk on the ropes!  You'll fall off a few times, but once you get the hang of it the levels a breeze. 
[/QUOTE]
Indeed.  Walking on the ropes helps immensely.  I didn't do that the first time I beat that level though lol.  Only found out about walking on the ropes years later.  The first time I got to that level, I was like oh crap this is gonna' be nuts and take forever...yet somehow, I totally channeled my inner platforming child and got into the "groove" and before I knew it, I was making absolutely perfect pinpoint jumps in succession and beat the level.  When I beat it, I was under the impression that I was truly lucky because I KNEW that level would give tons of gamers a lot of trouble.  Somehow I had beaten it rather quickly, and realized how lucky I was!  It was one of those gaming moments where somehow I had beaten a difficult level way quicker than I should have, and realized it.  Such a phenomenal platformer.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » April 29th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Mike Tyson In the original Punchout. One hit and done.Doesn't get much more frustrating than that. I am glad those old CRT TV's had thick glass screens, because as many times as I whipped the controller at the screen...

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 7th, 2012, 10:44 pm

There was one section of Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) that was just cruel and painful to play through. I think I threw my controller at the wall at least 50 times before I finally figured out how to get past the stage. I am not 100% sure what area it is called, but it is when you are down in a cave or something and you take some item a room located at the bottom of a giant spiral cave system. Once you take the item (it was a cup or ring or something) you have to make your way back up to the top of the level while fighting endless monsters that are way stronger then you. It isn't too bad until you try to make your way back up on a spiral pathway and the monsters are shooting at you with bow and arrows. Every time you got hit, you would be thrown off the pathway and have to work your way back up the stupid spiral. It doesn't help that the camera literally wants you dead, as it would do anything in its power to make sure you can't see where you are jumping. You can camp out at the bottom of the stage and kill an endless hoard of monsters to regain your strength, but making it to the top of the spiral was an absolute nightmare.

Return to “Video Games General”