Most money spent on a bad game?

General and high profile video game topics.
soporj1

Postby soporj1 » May 3rd, 2012, 10:17 pm

Whether it was a rare game to complete a collection, buying a new game at MSRP not knowing it was bad, an import, etc.

I once spent almost $100 to get the Intellivision version of Tutankham (complete with box, manual, and other inserts). The game stinks...soooooo slooooow....

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » May 4th, 2012, 12:20 am

I spent $50 bucks on Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2). I hated that game so much, I could never understand what I was doing, the loading times were unbearable, and sometimes the CD WOULDN'T FREAKING WORK!!! So much for money well spent.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 4th, 2012, 12:43 am

When it comes to multi-platform games, the PS2 versions are usually the worst ones in terms of quality, I had the GC version of Shadow and it worked pretty well, virtually no load times, smooth controls, no noticeable glitches, and no confusing over what I was doing. I tried out the PS2 version at a friends place, and I noticed the difference in quality right away, the controls were much more akward, the graphics looked really washed out next to the GC version, and as you said the load times were ridiculous.

As for me, I can't think of any really bad games i've paid lots of money for.  I only paid like 5 bucks for James Pond on the GBA, and that was still too much, not one good thing about that game.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » May 4th, 2012, 11:50 am

I don't spend much on games; still, I have got some bad deals.  Once, I bought a handful of 2600 games at Salvation Army.  When I got home, only one worked.   Another time, I bought an 2600 game made by Sears: Hyperspace.  When I got home, I found out that it was just Asteroids,  a game I already had. 

Now these didn't cost much, but they were still a rip-off. 

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » May 6th, 2012, 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]

Urban freaking Champion - the suckiest game that Nintendo ever made.

[/QUOTE]

That makes me a sad panda. I hope you didn't spend months upon months saving up for that game.

Mine was Quest 64. It was so bad, I finally jumped ship and started saving up to buy a Playstation!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » May 7th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Probably $20 on Diddy Kong Racing DS,it's still not a terrible game,but it's probably one of the only games that didn't seem to be worth the money spent. Maybe if it controlled better,or the voices weren't so irritating.

It's worth $5 at the most,it's just not the original at all.

I'm usually too careful to make that kind of blunder,but once in a while it does happen.

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 7th, 2012, 4:41 pm

I spent $40 on Battle Arena Toshinden Remix.  That game was quite mediocre.
My buddy spent either $60 or $70 on Cuis'n USA when it came out. 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 7th, 2012, 10:38 pm

Actually, I can't think of 1 instance where I bought a crappy game for more then $5 (usually only take chances on games when I see them in clearance areas of used game stores, otherwise I'm pretty much always aware of exactly what I want when I go into a place to buy, or shop online). When I was a kid, my family was very poor so we always rented games for our Genesis, PS1, N64, etc, so if by some miracle I saved up enough money for a game it was always for a game that I had played to death while renting the title. By the time I was old enough to have disposable income, I already was reading gaming magazines like EGM and Gamepro. Now it is retro sites like this, gamespot, and ign.

Since I usually try to collect the best games of the console first before I experiment and take chances, I usually am pretty happy with what I get. I have gotten some horrible games in game bundles off of ebay when buying a new console. I purposefully have bought bad groups of games in order to get a console at a cheaper price, but I don't think that counts.

Return to “Video Games General”