Most money spent on a bad game?

General and high profile video game topics.
nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » May 8th, 2012, 12:32 am

I payed around $50 for Final Fantasy XII fairly close to its launch date. If only I'd known at the time. Square would have to pay me to play that game.

PB_Troy1

Postby PB_Troy1 » May 8th, 2012, 7:46 am

Epic Mickey....I know it wasn't AWFUL, but I preordered it thinking it'd be Amazing. I played it once and haven't picked it up since....

When I was a kid my ma offered to buy me a game new for my Genesis, only new game out at the time was Cliffhanger so that was what I picked...boy was I wrong, worst decision that still haunts me today 20 years later...

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 8th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Top Gun on the GC how ever much I paid for that one it was too much and it had nothing to do with the movie.
Mousetrap on 2600 the critic likes it... I did not like it so much
Robocop on the xbox... Robo was so slow....
Oh how i do not miss miss Titus Software
Rise of the nightmares I only played the demo... wow what a pile of dross... on of my pals paid £40 for it....

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » May 8th, 2012, 5:06 pm

[QUOTE=nesfan]I payed around $50 for Final Fantasy XII fairly close to its launch date. If only I'd known at the time. Square would have to pay me to play that game.[/QUOTE]

If you don't mind me asking, what was so bad about FFXII?

GaemzDood1

Postby GaemzDood1 » May 8th, 2012, 9:12 pm

[QUOTE]If you don't mind me asking, what was so bad about FFXII?[/QUOTE] The story and the characters.

rahimtx1

Postby rahimtx1 » May 8th, 2012, 9:13 pm

I think it was 50 dollars, I could be wrong, but thats what NES games I believe cost back in the day when they had recently came out. I was so looking forward to playing this game. It had an image I always felt look like Joe Montana on it. I just knew it was going to be great. Man was I in for a big let down.

It was NFL Licensed, but no real player names. Or fake ones for that matter.
No season mode
No stat tracking (Not even in-game stats I believe)
Im pretty sure no injuries
Super slow gameplay (Think Bulls VS Blazers But slower)
Cant call plays SMH?
Possible 2nd and Zero type scenarios lol (On the Goal line. The center actually started out in the endzone)

Just to name a few problems with this colossal failure of a game. And that game is.................... The infamous NFL FREAKING FOOTBALL.

GaemzDood1

Postby GaemzDood1 » May 8th, 2012, 9:34 pm

If consoles count (and I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this), the Wii; its a horrendous "casual" console with only a handful of good games. I'm not hopping on the Wii-hate-Wii wagon, I just didn't have any fun with the Wii whatsoever; though it had a couple of good games like MadWorld, Dead Space: Extraction, The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, The House of the Dead: Overkill, Scarface: The World is Yours, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Sniper Elite, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Cursed Mountain, No More Heroes 1 & 2, the Call of Duty series, the Resident Evil series, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, Manhunt 2, & Metroid.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 8th, 2012, 9:59 pm

[Quote]If consoles count (and I'm probably going to get a lot of flack for this), the Wii; its a horrendous "casual" console with only a handful of good games. I'm not hopping on the Wii-hate-Wii wagon, I just didn't have any fun with the Wii whatsoever; though it had a couple of good games like MadWorld, Dead Space: Extraction, The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, The House of the Dead: Overkill, Scarface: The World is Yours, The Godfather: Blackhand Edition, Sniper Elite, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Cursed Mountain, No More Heroes 1 & 2, the Call of Duty series, the Resident Evil series, Tenchu: Shadow Assassins, Manhunt 2, & Metroid.[/Quote]

Honestly, if a console has that many games that I enjoy I think that it justifies the price tag of the console. Especially since you can buy a used Wii for around $60-80 if you hunt around. In addition if you decided to buy those games all the ones you listed you could probably find between $5-10, and probably no more then $20. Quite a steal in my opinion.

Honestly, I've had the most fun with the Wii this gaming generation then any of the other consoles. There are plenty of games worth owning on the Wii you just have to dig through a bunch of crap. If a console has 1 solid, A+ exclusive game, I'd probably still buy the console in order to play the game. The Wii probably has 10-15 solid A games. Not as many as the other 2 but it is also cheaper to collect for (console and game wise).

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » May 9th, 2012, 2:05 pm

My older brother and I had a weekly or bi-weekly ritual when I was growing up.  On Saturday night, my dad would drive us to Toys R Us and we'd pick out an NES game.  Most of the games we bought were ones based on friend recommendations, and those games were always great.  But we'd also choose some games based on a couple of still-shots from Nintendo Power.  Wall Street Kid and Fester's Quest were two of those games.  My older brother really liked WSK.  I never understood why, I played around with it a few times, but always got bored after 10 minutes.  

Fester's Quest was different; it actually gave me hope that it was a good game... which is why it's so terrible.  When you pick up a truly terrible game, you know within a matter of seconds that you never want to play it again.  But Fester's Quest has great atmosphere and music.  It makes you think you're playing a better game than you actually are.  It just makes you think that YOU are the problem with your bad experiences with it.  YOU are at fault for downgrading your weapon after walking through a pile of powerups after killing an enemy.  YOU are just terrible at games and that's why you can't find your way through the 3D warehouses before the boss.  Before I knew it I had sunk months into getting good at Fester's Quest and I was left with nothing.  Just a hollow feeling in my heart where a good game should have been.

As a weird type of closure, we were on a big family vacation about 5 years ago.  My younger brother brought his laptop with him and he told me and my older brother that he had ROMs for every NES game ever made, "even the really obscure, terrible stuff."  I opened my mouth to ask him, but he'd already anticipated what I was going to say; "Yes, I have Fester's Quest."

No, I didn't play it.  I refuse to play it again, even today.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » May 9th, 2012, 7:39 pm

[QUOTE=GaemzDood][QUOTE]If you don't mind me asking, what was so bad about FFXII?[/QUOTE] The story and the characters.
[/QUOTE]
There was a story? But yeah, what GaemzDood said and the fact that there is so much more wrong with it. The horrible battle system, the fact that the game basically played itself, uninteresting sidequests that only involved more fighting (with the aforementioned horrible battle system), the license board combined with having to buy everything you unlock on the license board, the summons were pretty much useless, quickening used up all your MP (as well as summons), the difficulty went up way too much with each new area in the game, the characters had no personality or any apparent reason to accompany each other, Vaan was an idiot, and to top it all off, all of those horrible things persist throughout a 100+ hour game. As a gamer and especially as a Final Fantasy fan, FFXII is the worst game I've ever played.

Return to “Video Games General”