Nintendo's Delays

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser1

Nintendo's Delays

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 2nd, 2013, 11:21 am

If you're a fan of Nintendo, you've been ingrained to accept delays.  I can remember the N64.  Almost all of the games that I wanted ended up having major delays.  

You know you can almost think of it as an abusive relationship.  You want to get out but you keep coming back because of promises they'll change.  "We'll release the games you want on time. We promise."  [wink]

I'll wager 2 to 1 Mario Kart and/or Smash Brothers gets delayed next year as well.

Regardless, I'm still having fun with my Wii. U can too.  

Some jokes never get old (even though I'm old).

snakeboy1

Nintendo's Delays

Postby snakeboy1 » October 2nd, 2013, 1:48 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]If you're a fan of Nintendo, you've been ingrained to accept delays.  I can remember the N64.  Almost all of the games that I wanted ended up having major delays.  

You know you can almost think of it as an abusive relationship.  You want to get out but you keep coming back because of promises they'll change.  "We'll release the games you want on time. We promise."  [wink]

I'll wager 2 to 1 Mario Kart and/or Smash Brothers gets delayed next year as well.
[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it, would you rather buy a game that is an unfinished, buggy mess?  Or buy one that is polished and glitch-free?  Some people can say what they want about Nintendo, but rarely have I bought a game by them that feels rushed and unfinished.

Pacman0001

Nintendo's Delays

Postby Pacman0001 » October 2nd, 2013, 4:33 pm

[QUOTE]I agree 100 percent. I don't think anyone here (you there, Mig?) is going to argue that Nintendo's software isn't top-notch. If it wasn't, I wouldn't buy their consoles or care about what they're doing as a company. It doesn't mean, however, that they should get a free pass for having constant delays. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore. Why can't they hire more people, or work on being more efficient in order to make deadlines and not leave early adopters feeling like Half a Person? I know These Things take Time, but c'mon...[/QUOTE]
At this point, hiring more people might cause more problems than it solved.  Nintendo would have to get the new employees up-to-speed.  This would take time, and might even lengthen the games' development periods.

Perhaps Nintendo's estimates are just too optimistic.  They know they need games soon, so the marketing department  announces a release date.  The developers rush to meet the date, can't, so the games are delayed.  :/

ActRaiser1

Nintendo's Delays

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 2nd, 2013, 4:43 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy]
The way I look at it, would you rather buy a game that is an unfinished, buggy mess?  Or buy one that is polished and glitch-free?  Some people can say what they want about Nintendo, but rarely have I bought a game by them that feels rushed and unfinished.[/QUOTE]

Oh, yeah, I agree.  However, I'd rather they wait and not set the release date though until they're sure of when they plan on releasing it.  I'll take a good game over a buggy mess any day.

Gentlegamer1

Nintendo's Delays

Postby Gentlegamer1 » October 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

This is why you don't buy Nintendo consoles until a few years into the generation, after the games come out.

It's why I returned my N64 and exchanged it for a PlayStation in 1997.

Segatarious1

Nintendo's Delays

Postby Segatarious1 » October 2nd, 2013, 6:33 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]If you're a fan of Nintendo, you've been ingrained to accept delays.  I can remember the N64.  Almost all of the games that I wanted ended up having major delays.  

Regardless, I'm still having fun with my Wii. U can too.  

Some jokes never get old (even though I'm old).

[/QUOTE]

I will take that bet.

No way Mario Kart gets delayed.

Smash bros, they wont let him delay it - they have already cut the cinema out of that game, nintendo is streamlining.

One last point to David - they are delaying launch by 2 months, this is not that big of deal. Pathetic, yes, but hardly going to tip the scales one way or another ESPECIALLY since they have Mario front and center.

snakeboy1

Nintendo's Delays

Postby snakeboy1 » October 2nd, 2013, 9:31 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Oh, yeah, I agree.  However, I'd rather they wait and not set the release date though until they're sure of when they plan on releasing it.  I'll take a good game over a buggy mess any day.[/QUOTE]

I imagine the first release date is a "best case scenario" date where it will be released on that date if everything goes right.  Really, though, I don't mind waiting a few extra months.  Now, if we start talking years though...

Here's one thing to keep in mind when seeing these delays:  this is Nintendo's first HD system.  I would think the Wii U is a very different animal from the Wii.  It might not seem like a big difference, but I imagine it is.  After all, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall MS and Sony storming out of the gates last generation with hit after hit during the first year of their HD systems.

In a way I think the delays might be a good sign.  If the Wii U is close to going the way of the Jaguar and Dreamcast (It seems like I've been hearing this for years now, yet the Wii U itself is less than a year old), you would think Nintendo would be desperate to get as many titles out for the holiday season as they can.  The fact that they are pushing back a game from the holidays into next year suggests to me that they are in it for the long haul.

Return to “Video Games General”