The Most Touching Moments in Video Game History? (SPOILERS)

General and high profile video game topics.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 24th, 2013, 6:39 pm

There are times when video games can get me very emotional, and this is mostly in RPG's/Action Adventures. I'll list some from games I've played.

POSSIBLY SPOILERS

Chrono Trigger (SNES)-This might be my favorite RPG of all time. It's the greatest game to ever hit the Super Nintendo, and it's gameplay mechanics and incredible story prove timeless. Such is the case when I found out Crono (main character with the orange spiky hair) dies sacrificing himself to Lavos. It shocked me the first time I played it.

Later, I found out I could revive Crono by going back in time at Death Peak, and replacing him with a doll, which I did.

If you have Marle in your party at this moment, she will give Crono an emotional hug as he is sitting next to a tree with Christmas lights, and the screen darkens to show nothing but Crono, Marle, and the tree. Marle then reveals she missed Crono and that she was so happy he is alive. This moment right here touched me, it revealed not only something more than friends, but the music playing at the spot made it even more emotional. One of the most underrated scenes in video games.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)-You guys know I love this game, and its dark storyline is messed up. Early in the game, you'll find that the Skull Kid was abandoned by his friends on a rainy night, and two fairies look in horror as he shivers. It touched me when they were providing him with comfort, and this is just one of the more memorable scenes in the game.

Paper Mario (N64)-My favorite N64 classic, when you reach Starborn Valley really late in the game, beautiful music surrounds you. I mentioned this very moment made me cry because of the nostalgia and the beauty of the music. This whole game was my childhood, along with several other games.

Call of Duty Black Ops (360)-Yes, a COD game touched me, and Black Ops happens to be my favorite COD game. It's in the single player mode, where you bound with a Russian prisoner named Viktor Reznov, who helps you escape along with several others. Throughout the game, it appears as if he's by your side the whole time, until you realize you were brainwashed, it was all your imagination, and Reznov was killed after the prison break. I won't forget the first time I witnessed this, it blew my mind, It's saddening to me because I had thought this guy was with me the whole time. 

Well that's my list so far, what about you guys?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » April 24th, 2013, 11:15 pm

**************SPOILER************THAT PROBABLY EVERYONE ALREADY KNOWS******************

Final Fantasy 7 deserves a spot on this thread due to the dramatic scene where Aerith is killed by Sephiroth. I don't think many big titles had one of their main cast members die in the middle of the game. Despite the extremely out dated graphics (everyone looks like polygon bobble heads) the game still holds up very well and the cut scenes are impressive for an early PS1 release. While I don't think it's the best FF title, the story is deep and this scene really manages to involve the player into the game.  

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 25th, 2013, 3:39 am

There are lots of examples. Just on top of my head, thought I'd mention Metal Gear Solid 3 (the game throughout, and particularly the ending).

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » April 25th, 2013, 8:05 am

Please don't laugh, but in the first Actraiser a guy gets lost in the desert. By the time you get to him he is dead. The people of the town he is from write a song in a tribute to his death. The sad song plays throughout the level. I don't remember exactly why he got lost, or why he was wandering in the desert, but I do remember it being very sad.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » April 25th, 2013, 9:10 am

What a great topic!

This one will sound crazy at first, but the last third and especially the ending of Bioshock 2.

*******************SPOILERS*******SPOILERS***************************

After you (Subject Delta) save Eleanor Lamb (your daughter, who was kidnapped as a child but is now around the age of 18), you can call her into combat and she will act as a Big Sister fighting by your side.  As you both fight the splicers of Rapture, she will yell certain phrases.  The contents of what she yells is different depending on what you did with the little sisters during the game. If you harvested them for ADAM, Eleanor will be angry, yelling about how Rapture will burn to the ground and how she's going to kill Sofia (the game's antagonist and her kidnapper).  If you save the little sisters-- which is what I did my first playthrough-- she'll be full of righteous anger, yelling things like, "Stay away from my father!" and "That's right. We're on the same side... Now what?!"  As ridiculous as this sounds, I felt full of pride hearing the girl I had fought all game to save fighting by my side and standing up for me.  My own daughter was 2 years old when I played this the first time, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Eleanor's final actions are also dependent on your behavior in the game, whether you decided to let certain key enemies live or die.  If you allowed them to live and you saved all the little sisters, your last moments of life are in your daughter's arms.  She takes your ADAM and injects it into herself.  As such, you become a part of her.  I can't remember the exact quote, but in essence she says that the choices you made shaped the person she has become and now that you are a part of her, she will remember your motivations and you will guide her as she becomes a part of the world above the ocean; a world she's never seen.  She takes a doll she made of Subject Delta as a child and drops it into the ocean.

***************END SPOILERS********END SPOILERS******************

I'm not ashamed to say, this actually made me cry.  I was so moved by this characters actions and words.  It blew me away that such a visceral and dark game could have such a powerful and emotional ending.  To this day, it's the only video game to ever make me cry.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 25th, 2013, 1:01 pm

The ending to Modern Warfare 3.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 25th, 2013, 2:28 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]The ending to Modern Warfare 3.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean exactly? All I remember is that the bad guy got hung at the end.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 25th, 2013, 3:15 pm

[QUOTE=JWK]What a great topic!

This one will sound crazy at first, but the last third and especially the ending of Bioshock 2.
[/QUOTE]

Um, after reading about BioShock 2, I kind of want to play it.  I mean I loved the first one but had zero interest in a sequel as everything seemed to be answered  in the first one.  Thanks for the write up!

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » April 25th, 2013, 4:38 pm

@ActRaiser - 

I think Bioshock 2 gets a bit of a bad rap.  Critics liked it when it was released, but a lot of people see it as a pale imitator of the first game.  I don't see it that way.  In fact, there are many things that Bioshock 2 does better than the first.  The combat is a BIG improvement; gunplay, ability to duel wield weapons and plasmids, and when you get the drill dash you are going to have some serious FUN.  The morality choices aren't as black and white.  And, as much as I loved the first game, it just dragged on too long.  After you find Ryan and Fontaine reveals himself, the game just kind of lumbers along for 4 more hours before it ends with a terrible boss fight and perhaps an even more unsatisfying ending.  Bioshock 2's finest moments are the last third of the game.  It just gets better the further into it you get and I can't say that about the first game.

Bioshock Infinite, in my opinion, is the weakest of the trilogy.  It has the most thought provoking story, but the gunplay was weak, vigors aren't half as interesting or impactful on gameplay as plasmids, and having everything in broad daylight exposes a lot of the old engine's weaknesses (like blocky textures and jaggies).

Den1

Postby Den1 » May 1st, 2013, 10:25 am

Ken, you mentioned Actraiser.  I was always heartbroken by the ending of that game, when (SPOILER) the townspeople decide they no longer need God in their lives, so he leaves them to fight for themselves.  Nintendo's censorship made the point a little murky, but it was still an interesting comment on God and religion.  

Return to “Video Games General”