How old is too old?

General and high profile video game topics.
TimPossible1

How old is too old?

Postby TimPossible1 » November 13th, 2012, 7:39 am

I am 38 and have been playing video games for 30 years starting with the Atari 2600. My wife has said to me before will you ever stop playing. I just really enjoy them and I am probabaly a bad influence as my kids play alot with their DSi's and ipod touch's as well as all the other home consoles we have.

Just wondering how old you are, how long have you been playing, and if you see yourself into your 50's or older still hooked on video games. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

Den1

How old is too old?

Postby Den1 » November 13th, 2012, 3:19 pm

I'm 36 and have been playing video games as long as I remember.  My wife also in the past has expressed the opinion that I'm too old, though I think she understands now.  I don't understand that attitude at all.  How is playing video games any less "mature" than other "adult" hobbies like golf or what have you?  Chasing a ball around and trying to get it into a hole is an adult hobby?  Why?  Because society says it is, that's why.  

I think this attitude is going to change in the next generation, though.  When I was a kid, not many adults played video games.  Now, anyone under 40 has probably been exposed to video games all their lives.

Ozzybear1

How old is too old?

Postby Ozzybear1 » November 13th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Just turned 37 a couple months ago and im far from ever stopping!!! it keeps me sane lol

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

How old is too old?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 13th, 2012, 5:40 pm

There's no age limit for gaming, which is one of the great things about it!  The reason you don't see many old people playing is because they didn't grow up with video games.  But the generations that grew up with games will keep playing and never stop.  

darkrage61

How old is too old?

Postby darkrage61 » November 14th, 2012, 12:46 am

I'm 22 so i guess that makes me the youngest guy on here, i've been gaming since I was 8 or so and have no plans to stop.

Paul1231

How old is too old?

Postby Paul1231 » November 14th, 2012, 12:49 am

This should make you feel better:  As many here know I am a custom A/V installer, and one of my better clients is a 75 year old man whose wife died of cancer about 5 years ago.   Whenever I get a call from him, which I would say happens about every 6 months, it is because he wants me to make some kind of improvement or adjustment to his system to make his Halo experience just a little better on his 360.  And I don't want you to think he is some kind of weird reclusive hermit or something.  He owns businesses in the area, and is a member, or president, of a few different local community organizations like the Rotary Club, etc.  He has alot of money and is always well dressed, with kindof a fancy 50's flair to his clothing.  He is smart, well spoken, and rather spry and lively for his age.  He plays online and appears to be quite competitive against the general Halo-playing population.  From what I can tell he averages a couple hours of playing a day.  In no way is he ashamed of his playing habits, and he says he makes no effort to hide it from people he knows. 

I want to be just like him. 

Jon1

How old is too old?

Postby Jon1 » November 14th, 2012, 9:57 am

I'm pushing 30, and I feel like I'll be playing games for the rest of my life. Between console games and computer games, there is enough quantity to keep things fresh for a lifetime. It's been years since I played Front Page Sports Football Pro and I plan on coming back to it in the future and design my own plays and do the career mode and maybe even join an online league. I've also been meaning to get into the Flight Simulators. 

a1

How old is too old?

Postby a1 » November 14th, 2012, 12:50 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]I'm 22 so i guess that makes me the youngest guy on here, i've been gaming since I was 8 or so and have no plans to stop.[/QUOTE]

I think BlueGuy is only 18 or 19. I'm 23 and have no plans to stop although I have considerably less time for gaming now that I'm working. College definitely is the best time to get your gaming in.

Atarifever1

How old is too old?

Postby Atarifever1 » November 14th, 2012, 1:18 pm

I'm 31.  I'm lucky; my wife plays some games too (as I pointed out here a lot, she's got 1000 hours into Animal Crossing), and even though she isn't as religiously into them as me, she is 100% understanding.  150% more like it.  Pretty much every normal weeknight we each take an hour to ourselves and then spend a couple hours doing stuff together before bed.  She always asks "when are you playing games tonight?" so we can plan the rest of the time accordingly.  Fantastic woman.  What's more, she once corrected someone that, no, the Atari 2600 was not the first videogame system.  She got the real answer wrong (she said it was the O2, thinking the 2 was just like the 2600 thing and meant nothing), but still.  That was darn close and proves she listens to my silly rambles.  She was also singing to our 10 month old the other night.  I nearly ran out to buy a second wedding ring for her when I realized she was singing the Yar's Revenge "Have you played Atari today."  She has totally internalized my weirdness. 

So, basically, my wife is cool with it, I'm cool with it, and outside of that I don't care.  So I plan on playing them forever.  Forever and ever.  When I get to heaven (if there is one) my first question will be "where's the free arcade?" The answer will hopefully be "everywhere."     

A trick I have found that works with people who don't get it: If you're like me, you don't watch much TV, as TVs are for videogames.  If anyone asks "how do you still play those things" say "Once I outgrew TV, I had to find something to pass the time.  I mean, really, what was I going to do, watch 2 and a Half Men or Urkel or whatever?" 
It also works for people who ask if you find it to be a "waste of time."  Just say "compared to cancer research yes.  Compared to "Honey Boo Boo," no, I don't so."  Remind them that they're basically wasting more time than you.  They're watching games you don't even get to play basically.  A game is like a cross between a book and a TV show.  A TV show is just a dumb ol' TV show.  Advantage games.

Sut1

How old is too old?

Postby Sut1 » November 14th, 2012, 2:07 pm

I'm 34 and have no intention of stopping as previously mentioned the generations who grew up with games will continue playing them. Remember gaming is a relatively young industry compared to other entertainment mediums (about 40 years old). I'm sure the view would have been the same when music and film was at the same point in their evolution.

Return to “Video Games General”