Price of collecting...no longer worth it?

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » August 8th, 2012, 4:52 pm

I can see that as a problem.  As a videogame collector I like to buy my stuff in relatively good condition.  People think that just because this stuff is old (and in some cases rare) that its worth big bucks regardless of condition.  A pristine complete copy of Earthbound will be worth more than a stained cart, with a badly torn sticker.  

However, most people tend to look up what stuff sells for on EBAY and take that as what an item should be worth.   Yea Earthbound is rare...and it is worth decent money...not in rubbish condition though.  Good luck getting $150 for a cart that looks like it was a Pit Bull's chew toy.

Look at this example I found yesterday.  This is an ebay listing for a Panasonic 3DO.  The system is BROKEN as stated by the seller and they are asking $40 PLUS $15 shipping.  WHO THE HELL WOULD BUY THIS?  It's a useless system and they think they can get $40 for it?  So on top of paying for a broken system, you'd have to sink even more money into it just to get it working again!  I bought a 3DO with like 10 games in 2005 for $50 shipped.  I thought that was a bit pricey given that I wanted a Panasonic system to go with my Goldstar 3DO.  

People must be buying this stuff because this isn't some crazy isolated example.  I see stuff like this all the time on ebay.

James1

Postby James1 » August 8th, 2012, 5:10 pm

I think that's part of the inherent problem with this hobby hitting the mainstream. Simply put the people coming in don't know better. I've lost count of the times I have gotten into arguments with the self-professed "90's kids" whose experience begins and ends with emulators and are younger than myself over this sort of stuff.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 8th, 2012, 5:23 pm

Yeah I've noticed a lot of people who don't know much about video games are misrepresenting the games in their description.

They'll say a game is "Like new!" or "Mint condition" and then find out it doesn't even come with the box or manual.  

James1

Postby James1 » August 8th, 2012, 5:47 pm

I should note that the notable one exception to all of this aside from old PC games is Japanese imports. From what I've seen and bought prices have been relatively low and stable for the past 4-5 years with the exception of stuff like Radiant Silvergun and a few late release Wonderswan games

Verm1

Postby Verm1 » August 9th, 2012, 5:24 am

The market's and prices for used and retro games will be different in different countries.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » August 9th, 2012, 12:09 pm

I tend to find better prices in local used game stores. However, if you're looking for a "franchise game" (Zelda, Contra, Mario, and the like), there's a price jump. People actually want to buy these games, and are willing to spend big cash on them!

Actually, as a NES collector, I've found it very advantageous to get a Famicom-to-NES converter, and bid on Famicom games on ebay. Not quite a market in the US for those ... yet. 

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » August 11th, 2012, 4:18 pm

I don't tend to go on eBay. I like my games in boxes. About a year ago at a flea market, a man had a table of mint boxed games. It was unbelievable. Boxed NES games for 5 dollars. Boxed 2600 games 8 bucks. SNES 10 bucks, it was great. I scored a boxed sonic 3D blast. eBay is insane, I hate it, I just look around locally, and try to find what I can.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » August 13th, 2012, 7:50 am

Purchasing on eBay is even more expensive for Canadians on average. We really get raked over the coals and that's IF the sellers will bother to ship across the border! 

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » August 13th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I thought with the everdrives and some of the multi flash carts that game prices would drop. I can see systems going up but have no idea about games.

James1

Postby James1 » August 13th, 2012, 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=FinalLapTwinkie]I thought with the everdrives and some of the multi flash carts that game prices would drop. I can see systems going up but have no idea about games.[/QUOTE]

While any serious collector worth their salt already owns one or has heard of it most of the new people coming are not that well educated as to what is going on in the hobby.

Return to “Video Games General”