What is your favorite gaming genre?

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 17th, 2013, 11:47 am

We've probably done this one before, but screw it...tastes change and there are new forum members so let's find out what genre of games people prefer.

1) Platformer - More specifically I enjoy 2D platformers the most.  However, I still have love for the 3D variety as well.  I like that these games challenge you with navigating levels as well as defeating enemies.  They tend to require a level of skill and determination that really lets me sink my teeth into a game.

2) Hack n Slash/Beat em Up - I love old school stuff like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, but even more modern stuff like Devil May Cry and God Hand have taken the basic formula to new heights.

3) 1 on 1 Fighters - I grew up loving Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat, and I'm always on the lookout for great fighters.  This latest generation might be the best ever for console fighters.  So many good games to choose from.

Honorable mention goes to RPGs/Adventure games.  If I had more time to play these they would rank much higher.  I tend to go for stuff that offers more instant gratification.

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » May 17th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Probably platformers, simulation games, and maybe adventure games.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » May 17th, 2013, 12:59 pm

I used to love JRPGs and Strategy games (Koei's ROTK, Uncharted Waters, Sim City, etc.), but now that I have far less time on my hands, I usually play a lot of arcade-style games and one-on-one fighters.

In the same vein, I used to be a HUGE Squaresoft and Konami fan.  Now it's a lot of Namco. Meh.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 17th, 2013, 1:02 pm

First and third-persn shooters for me, I know some people are sick of them, but I can't get enough of them, I just love shooting and blowing sh*t up.

Wide-Open Sandbox-I love having lots of freedom to wander around and do random stuff, I feel compelled to do every single side mission in these games

Platformers were my favorite genre growing up but unfortunately the Wii and Wiii U seemed to get all the ones that looked really good, with hardly any getting on the 360, though I can't wait to pick it DKC Returns for the 3DS and I love all the Sonic games 3-D entries included.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » May 17th, 2013, 1:09 pm

1) Pick up and play

At the moment I'm finding myself drawn to games that can be played from top to bottom in about 2-3 minutes.  That's about how long I have before being tackled by the dog.

Pinball games seem to make a good fit.

2) RPGs

Games that if left alone don't cause any issues.  I've been playing through Mass Effect 3 and having a good time.  You can stop at any point and not really miss anything by just pausing it.  When you restart there's little chance you'll mess up.  The journal helps me catch up if I've been away for a few weeks as well.

3) FPSs

This one requires a bit more dedicated time for me and is now relegated to the weekly get together with friends for multiplayer mayhem. We've given up on Halo 4 and alternate between Reach and Halo 3.  I'm not sure what that says about 343 studios but in the end, nothing good.  I'll probably look into Destiny pretty heavily when it becomes available.

4) Metroidvania

I don't know what type of genre it falls into.  But I'm digging going back and re-playing Super Metroid on the big screen.  

5) Co-op Campaigns

I dig co-op campaign style games that actually require co-operation to get past certain points.  I've been playing through Gears of War 3 with a friend online and enjoying it.

6) Build a World

Games that some how combine genres while building a town or world become awesome, time sucks.  I guess that's in part why I loved ActRaiser and Civilization so much.

7) Real Time Strategy

Although I rarely play them these days, Real Time Strategy games are awesome when done right.  Halo Wars was one of the few on the console that worked.  It's a shame Ensemble Studios is now closed.

I'm leaving out a lot like one-on-one fighters and flight games but did cover a number of other genres or cross/style genres.  

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » May 17th, 2013, 4:10 pm

Anything but fighting games.

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » May 17th, 2013, 5:35 pm

1) RPGs. Specifically, turn-based RPGs that give me control of my entire party, rather than just controlling one dude and having to rely on the computer to control my other party members. Don't get me wrong. There are plenty of good RPGs with that play-style like Kingdom Hearts, the Tales series, the Star Ocean series, and Xenoblade, among others. I just greatly prefer having control over everyone.

2) Platformers. I've been playing Mario games practically my whole life and I don't see myself getting tired of those games any time soon. Though, having nesfan as my name, (which is totally my real, legal name. What are you talking about?) how could I not love platformers? Platformers and RPGs tend to switch between my favorite and second favorite genre depending on my mood. At the time that I'm writing this, I'm in an RPG kinda mood.

3) Bullet Hell Shooters. I discovered a wonderful thing when I played my first Touhou series game a year or so ago. And that is that bullet hell shmups are awesome. I'm not particularly good at them. But, man are they fun to play. I like the challenge and I can usually beat the games. But I know my limits. I mean, Deathsmiles has achievements for playing through the game without continuing. Yeah... That's not gonna happen.

4) 1 on 1 Fighters. I absolutely hated these games as a kid. And I don't really remember why. It probably had something to do with my brother knowing how to do all of the moves and me knowing how to... punch and kick. But at some point in high school, I started playing Mortal Kombat and I got really into it. And now I love fighting games.   

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 17th, 2013, 8:02 pm

1. Platformers & Action Adventure- I have always loved the pick up and play feel of these games and it doesn't really matter if it is 2D or 3D (or 2.5D).
2. Kart Racer- this is a pretty similar reason to the #1 spot, except these tend to have a more arcade feel so I enjoy that as well.
3. 2D Fighters- same as above 2.
4. 2D Shooters- same as the ones above...
5. Tactical RPG's- I love these types of games, if it is the right series. The easier the game is to pick up and play right away, the better.
6. RPG's- I don't play these a ton but they have grown on me over the years. I like the traditional Japanese style ones the best.
7. Beat'm Ups- same as 1-4
8. everything else except for: FPS and Sport's Titles (although there are a few snowboarding games I like, plus Virtua Tennis)

CoyT921

Postby CoyT921 » May 18th, 2013, 2:25 am

I really dig fighting games, wrestling games and sandbox games the most...oh and stealth, specifically the Hitman and Manhunt series'.

I'm no hardcore gamer though.

NAC1

Postby NAC1 » May 18th, 2013, 3:25 am

Great topic!

My favorite video game genre is the platformer. I have enjoyed platformers, both 2D and 3D, ever since I was a child. I grew up playing platformers such as Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars Donkey Kong Country, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. My experience didn't end their, however, because I eventually grew to love games such as Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and the Sega Genesis Sonic games (heck, the Sonic series, despite having grown up with Nintendo, has become one of my favorite video game franchises). I love the instant gratification that platformers provide. The games are generally pick-up and play, are easy to make progress in, and do not force the player to sit through a bunch of dialogue just to get started. Also, there is oftentimes a metric ton of stuff to collect in platformers, especially in the Banjo-Kazooie games, which, in my mind, add more depth to the game.
    Another reason why I love platformers is because I personally prefer cartoony art styles over realistic art styles. I know art-styles and genres are not the same thing, but I cannot think of any realistic platformers off the top of my head. Platformers and cartoony art-styles seem to go hand-in-hand. 

Platformers aren't all I like of course; I also enjoy Action/Adventure games (especially Zelda), racing games, RPGs, first-person shooters (even though I suck at most of them), one-on-one fighters, and pretty much everything that encourages multiplayer fun. The only genre that I don't like very much is the sports genre (sorry Video Game Critic ).

Return to “Video Games General”