Microsoft Reveals New System: XBOX One

General and high profile video game topics.
Irenicus1

Postby Irenicus1 » May 22nd, 2013, 12:34 am

Small fee or full price; either way I won't buy a console that requires internet service or registration of games.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » May 22nd, 2013, 10:30 am

As a 37 year old lifelong gamer, I can say that I have absolutely no interest in this upcoming generation of games. The industry has become too big for its own good and is becoming increasingly consumer-hostile. I almost passed on the current generation of systems anyway, since the 6th gen (Xbox original, PS2, etc.) was my absolute favorite and I don't play online. My current collection is somewhere around 800 games across most major consoles of the past so I have plenty to play. These corporate bean counters can keep their new systems. I'll still be enjoying all of the classics I have now, in physical form, without the need for constant Internet, obtrusive DRM, cameras in my den, or whatever. Who's with me?! Join the Retro Revolution, haha!

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » May 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am

This just makes me even more excited about not buying any of the new consoles lmao

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 22nd, 2013, 12:00 pm

Here's some more info:http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-22-xbox-one-e3-is-absolutely-all-about-the-games

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 22nd, 2013, 1:00 pm

This about sums up the XBone press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 22nd, 2013, 1:27 pm

I'm not a person who really favors one console over another. I don't take sides or wish one company would do better than another.  Ideally the market would continue to allow all three companies to flourish and the gamer will get saturated with unique experiences from each system.  I can't really get behind that logic right now.  For all intensive purposes I hope Microsoft's new system is a collosal failure the likes we haven't seen since the days of the 3DO and Jaguar.  There is just so much WRONG with what they announced that I can't fathom anyone is truly excited about what they heard/saw yesterday.

First the name is beyond awful...just truly dumb.  What happened to naming videogames after planets and cool stuff like that?  Xbox One sounds like the result of a bunch of market testing and guys in suits coming up with name.  It's confusing and bound to be the butt of jokes for years to come.

Phil Harrison confirmed that the system will need to go online at least once every 24 hours, regardless of whether or not you're playing online.  I can't understand the reasoning behind this.  What happens if it's not online during that time period?  Again, just an incredibly foolish decision.

The fact that games install and you no longer need discs sounds great until you learn that the game needs to be registered with your Xbox Live account.  So in theory if I wanted to let my brother borrow one of my games I can't do that?  Another huge blunder.

Microsoft wants you to have a 'relationship' with your TV.  No thanks.  I'd rather just play some games.  Segatarious callously remarked that the console was Orwellian in it's design...he's not far off.  In fact the Kinect camera eye looks like HAL from 2001.  Microsoft wants the system to be tailored to your liking, but in reality this means they are going to be watching everything you do from what games you play, to what you download, and it will probably cross over into anything you stream, or watch.  It's positively terrifying when you really think about what they might be monitoring.  Plus this introduces all sorts of security issues and potential for hackers. 

Making Kinect mandatory is just foolish, I don't want a camera hooked up to a console constantly monitoring me.  Also I'm not interested in paying extra for it.  There is no way this console is going to retail for anything less than $499.  Way too expensive especially if the competition is $100-$200 cheaper...  

The machine has zero backwards compatibility which stinks.  It's not a deal breaker  but it is a feature that I like in a new console.

The system design is also downright hideous.  It looks like some long lost VCR from the 80s.  

I will give Microsoft credit with the design of the controller.  It looks awesome.  Individual motion sensors in the triggers sounds pretty cool too.

The ball is really in Nintendo and Sony court.  Nintendo needs to start pumping out some more software and they'll be fine.  Sony could really step on Microsoft's throat and regain their lost popularity in the US market.  As long as they PS4 is priced around $399 or cheaper they will be golden.  I think Microsoft has REALLY screwed up...I hope I'm wrong and I hope I'm just overreacting. Right now I'm gonna be a guy that owns a PS4 and Wii U for the next generation of consoles...

Also Microsoft is shocked by the negative feedback!  They're clinking glasses and patting themselves on the back over the announcement!   They should be in spin mode right now putting out all of these fires.  The fact that they aren't means that they are not planning on changing this stuff and will go to market as is.  Doing so will basically make them the most consumer unfriendly console ever designed.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » May 22nd, 2013, 2:20 pm

I see an opportunity for a new type of third-party accessory...

(See attachment)

...or you could just wrap it in a towel and stick it in a shoe box.

Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » May 22nd, 2013, 2:38 pm

The console is anti-collector. It is basically a PC with online game activation and DRM. How are you going to play your games 10 to 20 years from now. I can still play games on my NES, Genesis, and SNES and those consoles are 20+ years old or more. Used games keep old consoles alive. What would be the point of owning a console that will not allow you to play your games when the console is discontinued. Also what about all of the games you downloaded on XBLA? I'm guessing there is no way to transfer those games to the new console so your games are basically tied to the Xbox 360 hardware. What is the point of a digital store if there is no way to keep playing your digital games on the newest console?

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:06 pm

I really don't see how the console is "Orwellian"(which BTW is a term that I feel is way overused, annoying and often misused).  I like that the system will show stuff tailored to my liking, that's similar to what Amazon does with recommending stuff based on what you've purchased or Netflix based on what you've watched, so I don't really see the issue there.  The camera thing dosen't bother me that much, this could actually be a good thing in some ways, i've heard of people on Live getting verbally abused just for being gay and then getting banned if enough people complain, this could solve that problem-if the camera detects someone saying racist/misogynist/homophobic stuff to another member, then they get a warning, if they break the rules enough times, then they get their account suspended.  It might also help get rid of some of the 12 year olds that swear all the time. 

Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see the potential for abuse with such a device, but it could also be used for plenty of good, like what if someone blabs about committing a crime on Live(yes people really are that dumb) or threatens suicide? Police could be notified to prevent such a thing from happening. 

Pacman0001

Postby Pacman0001 » May 22nd, 2013, 6:38 pm

You must install games?  Exactly what advantage does this have over a PC?  I always liked the ability to put in a new game and play, without any long set-up process.  *sigh*  I might as well stick to my computer. :/

Return to “Video Games General”