Microsoft Reveals New System: XBOX One

General and high profile video game topics.
darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 23rd, 2013, 12:55 pm

I think all this "big brother" talk is silly.  I think people are getting a little too paranoid these days.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 23rd, 2013, 1:18 pm

I don't think it's silly at all. I'm tired of getting emails all the time telling me how great whatever product might be because I might have looked it up once on something like eBay. Things like Facebook seem more intrusive every day. I guess I just like to be in control. Back in the NES days for instance, I was, I pushed "POWER" whenever I felt like it, now, I hear my console needs to be online at least once every 24 hours if I am to play games on it, even offline. This can't be right. And I shudder at the idea of Kinect always being on, I hope they'll let users turn it off while having the console on, it does sound like they won't, and I find that appalling.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 23rd, 2013, 1:29 pm

Yeah, the Big Brother talk is pretty silly.  I mean, big brother watched you from a camera in your TV set which sent stuff back about you to some central place to be examined by people at that place for their own ends.  That isn't like this at all.  No sir. 

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for the two-minute hate. 

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » May 23rd, 2013, 2:09 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Yeah, the Big Brother talk is pretty silly.  I mean, big brother watched you from a camera in your TV set which sent stuff back about you to some central place to be examined by people at that place for their own ends.  That isn't like this at all.  No sir. 

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time for the two-minute hate. 

[/QUOTE]
Get those Arms up Atarifever!!

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 23rd, 2013, 2:27 pm

You do know you can always change your Email preferences so you don't constantly get messages like that in your inbox?  I grew up with a Sega Genesis, so I know the feeling. I guess i'm just more open-minded about the direction MS is going, that's not to say I don't have reservations about some of their decisions, but i'm not rooting for them to fail by a longshot. I believe those are who expecting them to fail will be quite surprised.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » May 23rd, 2013, 2:28 pm

This may not be a big brother story in the sense of being monitored but something happened to me last year with my Kinect I think is worth sharing.

Last year, I had my 21 year old nephew for a visit. I had bought him Borderlands 2 and went upstairs to let him have his fun. He was playing on my system that has a Kinect hooked up to it but Borderlands is not even a "Better with Kinect" game, let alone a full blown Kinect game. When I came downstairs, he asked me, "Who is XXXXXXX?". I said, "Oh, he's just some kid I play online with sometimes. Why?". He then mentioned that he had joined his Borderlands game. I replied, "That's nice. He's a good kid.".  So, nothing bad was said and we moved on. Then I get a message over Live......The guy heard everything we had said. Nothing came of it other than just being humorous but also quite invasive and a little scary. We're still online friends but I can't help but think if something like this can happen with the 1st generation Kinect, it can only get worse. I'm a huge Microsoft/Xbox fan but some of this has me a little concerned. But, as I've already said - let's see how this pans out.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 23rd, 2013, 2:41 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]You do know you can always change your Email preferences so you don't constantly get messages like that in your inbox?  I grew up with a Sega Genesis, so I know the feeling. I guess i'm just more open-minded about the direction MS is going, that's not to say I don't have reservations about some of their decisions, but i'm not rooting for them to fail by a longshot. I believe those are who expecting them to fail will be quite surprised.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but that still does little to restore my sense of privacy. As for Ms, I don't know whether they'll succeed or not, I'm sure not gonna invest in this system. I'm really looking forward to hear more about the PS4 right now, and I'm satisfied wih how the Wii U turned out to be, even though it could use more games... but that's another matter altogether.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » May 23rd, 2013, 3:26 pm

I don't really see how the Ebay thing is a privacy issue when you can choose not to receive those kinds of messages.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 23rd, 2013, 4:12 pm

By the way, everyone here should read 1984.  Not because of how obviously it relates to this, but for how it relates to all of modern life.  Also, it is great.  If you haven't read it before, just be aware you will be depressed. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 23rd, 2013, 4:17 pm

It's an example, you have to look to the whole picture.. While I did mention eBay specifically, I could have mentioned French websites equivalent to Craiglist you wouldn't know about, only they're annoying the same way... ultimately, receiving spam is annoying, the fact they're collecting/sharing info even more so. What I find amusing, 1984 came out, and people shuddered at the idea of a Big Brother like society. That's the thing with Sci Fi, it does tend to predict the future: most people living in 1984 won't fight against the system as they'll rather go out of their way to "fit in".

Return to “Video Games General”