Let's Discuss: Compilation Discs

General and high profile video game topics.
JWK1

Postby JWK1 » October 31st, 2014, 9:27 pm

Ah, Shadow Hearts: Covenant. The best JRPG that no one talks about. Yeah the three shadow hearts games upres'd to HD and a download voucher for Koudelka (ps1) would be a seriously sweet deal.

I'm playing Suikoden 1 right now on Vita and it's awesome. Putting the five main games on a single disc (or vouchers for the 2 ps1 games) would be amazing, considering how expensive physical copies are for those games, especially 1, 2 and 5.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 31st, 2014, 10:07 pm

[QUOTE=Tron]How about this, 20 games on the disc, but you can only play each 1x as a trial. To unlock each gameindividually for unlimited use you can pay $1.99 online. The disc itself will only cost $20 so it's a great deal. [/QUOTE]

Brilliant!  It almost makes too much sense.

[smile]

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » October 31st, 2014, 11:30 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy][QUOTE=Tron]How about this, 20 games on the disc, but you can only play each 1x as a trial. To unlock each gameindividually for unlimited use you can pay $1.99 online. The disc itself will only cost $20 so it's a great deal. [/QUOTE]

Brilliant!  It almost makes too much sense.

[smile][/QUOTE]

.....how would that be a great deal exactly? So, you would pay $20 for what amounts to a demo of retro games, then pay $2 a game to unlock them? Let's say only seven games appeal to you. That's $35 for what amounts to $15 worth of games.

I do miss compilation discs, but I think that's a horrible idea, no offense. :-)

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » November 1st, 2014, 1:28 pm

Banjo, I'm pretty sure Tron and snakeboy were being sarcastic.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » November 1st, 2014, 2:32 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]Banjo, I'm pretty sure Tron and snakeboy were being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh! My sarcasm detector must have been broken yesterday! Ha!

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » November 1st, 2014, 6:38 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles][QUOTE=ptdebate]Banjo, I'm pretty sure Tron and snakeboy were being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh! My sarcasm detector must have been broken yesterday! Ha![/QUOTE]

That's the sad part. It's such a crappy business model yet it's reality is believable.

And let's not forget how people like Sega can be all against dlc and then at the drop of a hat can be all for it. Consumers are conforming. Quality & value is declining. Why pay $400 for a nice oak dresser when you can get some crappy plywood dresser at Wal Mart for $40? Why put out complete games when we can nickel $ dime everyone for additional content. Don't bother fixing bugs or testing for glitches just force everyone to endure band aids/patches. That way we'll get them online for the patches and have more opportunities for additional sales with dlc. It's all a lousy business model for consumers. We'll never see a compilation disc in stores again.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » November 1st, 2014, 7:36 pm

[QUOTE=Tron][QUOTE=BanjoPickles][QUOTE=ptdebate]Banjo, I'm pretty sure Tron and snakeboy were being sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh! My sarcasm detector must have been broken yesterday! Ha![/QUOTE]

That's the sad part. It's such a crappy business model yet it's reality is believable.

And let's not forget how people like Sega can be all against dlc and then at the drop of a hat can be all for it. Consumers are conforming. Quality & value is declining. Why pay $400 for a nice oak dresser when you can get some crappy plywood dresser at Wal Mart for $40? Why put out complete games when we can nickel $ dime everyone for additional content. Don't bother fixing bugs or testing for glitches just force everyone to endure band aids/patches. That way we'll get them online for the patches and have more opportunities for additional sales with dlc. It's all a lousy business model for consumers. We'll never see a compilation disc in stores again. [/QUOTE]

I think that's why, despite all of their practices that I disagree with, I still find myself being more on Nintendo's side, as a game developer. They won't release a broken product to market, only to fix it through patches. Companies like Bethesda could learn a lot from them.

Anyway......

I would kill to have a Nintendo Arcade Disc with the following arcade-perfect titles:

-DK trilogy
-punch Out/Super Punch Out
-Wild Gunman
-Duck Hunt
-Mario Bros.
-Mario Kart GX (or whatever it's called)
-Popeye (wouldn't happen, but it's MY dream comp)
-Radarscope

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 2nd, 2014, 1:45 pm

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]
I would kill to have a Nintendo Arcade Disc with the following arcade-perfect titles:

-DK trilogy
-punch Out/Super Punch Out
-Wild Gunman
-Duck Hunt
-Mario Bros.
-Mario Kart GX (or whatever it's called)
-Popeye (wouldn't happen, but it's MY dream comp)
-Radarscope[/QUOTE]

That's a good one, t's sometimes easy to forget Nintendo's arcade heritage. Although I think the Mario Kart game was developed and published by Namco.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » November 2nd, 2014, 2:08 pm

I'd be happy if Nintendy went and released the Vs. arcade games on disc. Or virtual console.

Unfortunately, publishers are only interested in releasing HD versions of last-gen games. BOO!

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » November 2nd, 2014, 2:41 pm

I often wonder what Nintendo's arcade legacy would be if they would have taken the Sega route and had an active arcade division right alongside their console division. I mean, what brilliant arcade games would Nintendo have cooked up in the 90's? Maybe Mario Kart would have gone to arcades first instead of making it's debut on the snes? I could see Starfox being an arcade game, and a popular one at that.

Return to “Video Games General”