Destiny is out Tuesday

General and high profile video game topics.
Astrosmasher1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby Astrosmasher1 » September 6th, 2014, 7:08 am

I am betting that this game is going to sell more copies than Nintendo have sold Wii Us.  I think this will be huge seller as it is the first multi format version of a bungie game. 

but it is not all doom and gloom as http://www.computerandvideogames.com/475913/bayonetta-2-eu-release-date-set-first-print-edition-revealed/

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 6th, 2014, 9:11 am

I actually saw a commercial for this during the football game on Thursday.  I thought it was the latest sci-fi movie.  Not until I saw "Destiny" at the end did I realize this was the game.  Let's see if it plays as well as it looks.

TimPossible1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby TimPossible1 » September 6th, 2014, 10:20 am

Just so everyone knows this game requires an always online connection even for campaign mode. I cancelled my pre-order when I read this.

ptdebate1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby ptdebate1 » September 6th, 2014, 11:09 am

[QUOTE=TimPossible]Just so everyone knows this game requires an always online connection even for campaign mode. I cancelled my pre-order when I read this.[/QUOTE]

Destiny is an MMOG--it's been advertised as such from the very beginning, hasn't it? The notion of it having an offline campaign of any kind never crossed my mind.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 6th, 2014, 11:56 am

Thanks for the tip about the on-line.  This is exactly the kind of garbage I hate.  I highly doubt I'll be buying this - if only on principle alone.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 6th, 2014, 12:01 pm

Actually everything I've heard about it led me to believe it was a first-person shooter.

ptdebate1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby ptdebate1 » September 6th, 2014, 12:36 pm

It is a first-person shooter: a massively multiplayer online one--just like Everquest is both an RPG and an MMO. MMOs come in many forms--you have life sims, farming MMOs, collaborative historical sims, just to name a few. Even though character development and skill trees indicate some degree of influence from the likes of WoW or SW: The Old Republic, what makes Destiny an MMO (call it an MMOFPS if you want to be more specific) is that it is a massive, persistent online world where millions of players can interact with one another. A traditional offline campaign doesn't make sense in this framework, and it's disingenuous to feel betrayed by Bungie because Destiny has never changed course--it was always going to be an MMO.

These were the first words we heard about Destiny back in 2011. Bungie describes their as-yet unannounced next game as a "massively multiplayer action game":

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/03/04/gdc-bungies-next-game-is-an-mmo

These games aren't destroying the game industry either, so there's no reason to feel like you should boycott it. MMOs have been around since 1997 and they're not going anywhere. If Destiny looks interesting to you, get it! There's no subscription fee and it's a console game so you can probably sell it on craigslist for $45 later if you hate it.

Here's the initial gameplay reveal from last year:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIp7vZuYzoA[/video]

DaHeckIzDat1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » September 6th, 2014, 3:05 pm

Wow, I'm surprised. I would have thought they'd do what the Souls games did, making online mode default but making it playable offline as well.

Vexer1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby Vexer1 » September 6th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Actually no it DOES NOT require an always-on connection for story mode, you can easily play through that by yourself WITHOUT a connection, you only NEED to be online for the multiplayer aspects like raids, strikes and PVP, which is stuff I personally don't care about anyways, so there's no way in hell i'm cancelling my pre-order.

Vexer1

Destiny is out Tuesday

Postby Vexer1 » September 6th, 2014, 4:27 pm

It IS playable offline in single-player mode, you only need to be online for the multiplayer stuff like raids, strikes and PVP.

Return to “Video Games General”