The Digital future or lack of it. Games Room thread.

General and high profile video game topics.
Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 12th, 2015, 7:48 am

Remember the debates on this board about down loading versus physical media?  Well on xbox live we have games room.  It was a chance to play old atari 2600 games and Intellivision games.  Plus some arcade games that had been impossible to find.  For a retro enthusiast like me it was a dream come true.
You could play loads of games but pay through the nose for them.  Then the price got cheaper and I got some classic game like Amidar. Finally after having played the Atari 2600 version I had the arcade game.  Also it saved your score and showed where you were in the world.  BEST of all you had the MS promise that if you down loaded them game it was always in your download history and could play WHENEVER you wanted to. 

That was 2010.  Now in 2015 well it is a different story completely. Krome studios who brought the games room to life went bust about 2011 and effectively no new games were produced for the games room.  Luckily we have guarantee from MS. You get to play games from you down load list forever!!!

Well for the first time in years it seems to be working.  Though the last time it did so three days later it was broken again.  Any way. 

Updates and retro rants will turn up here no doubt. 

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 12th, 2015, 11:52 am

I tried the store.  I crashed.  So no change there.

Then I tried to configure the controls.  That was for twin bee.  Yep it crashed again. 

Also i have noticed that with content being taken down it is no longer available to be downloaded again.  Well probably just me but I can still play my 2600 games 30 years after buying them.  So physical hardware trumphs digital downloads. 

Well I am up to level 4 in games room!!! That is the highest I have been since I was on level 16.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 15th, 2015, 10:34 am

Right as of today my 16 games have be reduced to 2.  It has been delisted and now 14 of the games I bought that I was playing on Wednesday have vanished.

This is the future?  Well thanks for nothing MS.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 15th, 2015, 10:38 am

Go through your download history. You should be able to redownload the packs the games were in. Delisting only removes new users from downloading the content.

It might take you awhile to look through your history but that should work.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » March 15th, 2015, 11:47 am

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Go through your download history. You should be able to redownload the packs the games were in. Delisting only removes new users from downloading the content. It might take you awhile to look through your history but that should work.[/QUOTE]
Thanks I will give it a go.  Recently though I have been getting a lot of content unavailable in my download history.  So it might work. 
Well I am back to playing Capcom arcade before that goes the same way.   Black tiger so so hard.

Return to “Video Games General”