a generation behinder inquires about what I should get for the PS3

General and high profile video game topics.
wur1

Postby wur1 » May 31st, 2014, 6:55 pm

Hello,

It's been a long time since I logged in.  For the scant few who have any recollection of me:  I'm still working on my math phd.  So the subject line can also describe my dating life.  Or attempts at one.  But the existence of this message would indicate there currently isn't much of one.  Anyhoo:

Since PS3 prices are finally being slashed, I picked a Last of Us / 500gb pack quite cheap.  I noticed Sony's being quite generous with their franchises, packaging every game in a series in a single package for 20-30$.  I did pick up the Metal Gear collection, though, which was 50$.  Ah well.

Anyway, this is what I got, which will keep me busy for a while:

* God of War saga (the one with GOW 1-3 and the PSP games)
* LittleBigPlanet
* The Last of Us (pack-in)
* Metal Gear Legacy (every canonical metal gear game, sans Rising)
* Killzone Trilogy

Right now I'm really only playing LBP, Killzone1&2, and MGS4.  What are some other last gen console exclusives I should really check out?  I haven't touched the Last of Us, but its praise is high.  I wanted to hold back until I'm done with some of the games I was excited about (LBP, MGS4) and get good and tired of em til I try something new.

Anyway, what are the other things I should check out?  When I waste enough hours of the above to tire of them, I'm thinking of:

*  Resistance Trilogy
*  Heavy Rain (heard it's like Shenmue)
*  Ico collection
*  Journey
*  I was never a huge Final Fantasy fan, but liked 1, 4, and 7 as a kid.  Is the HD FFX/FFX-2 good?  Is FF 13 worth the hours?  Are these "modern" ones grindy or are they faster paced?
*  Demon's Souls
*  GTA 5--I liked GTA 4, to the extent I played it on my PC.  (I hated every GTA before that)  the problem was the damn save system was unforgiving--you'd have to drive halfway across town to re-try a mission most of the time.   Did they fix this?  Also, the shooting mechanics were wack in GTA 4 (both with 360 controller and Keyboard/mouse)--I heard they just outright used the Max Payne 3 code for this.  Is this fixed?
*  Uncharted Trilogy  (They have 1&2 packed together... a few months all three will be 20$ I bet)
*  LBP2.  Is it worth it if I have LBP1?

Also, some other opinions:

* Is the PS move worth it, if I can get the cam + both sides of the controller for 40-50$ or less?  Some of the FPS's use it, which was great on the Goldeneye remake on the Wii.  Are there any good Wii-type games exclusive to the PS3 that use this?  Or is it a waste of money?

* I have most of the "good" consoley games that are available on the PC via steam (Max Payne 3, Mortal Kombat, Super SF4, Dark Souls, etc).

thanks

wur

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » May 31st, 2014, 8:44 pm

You have a good start where AAA exclusives and 3rd party releases are concerned, so I'll avoid adding a few more obvious candidates like 'The Last of Us' that you can find on any best of PS3 list out there.

But since you already own several of the PS2 remastered collections and appear to be planning to acquire the best one of them all, how about adding the Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, and Sly Cooper collections to your list? Can't go wrong with any of those and none cost very much. I think I averaged about $10 each although most were bought during Black Friday sales.

And for classic compilations, Midway Arcade Origins, Pinball Hall of Fame: The William's Collection (Although if you have any interest in Pinball Arcade, these tables were enhanced and also released there), and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection are top notch and all are cheap. Less than $40 probably would net you new copies of all three. 

And 3D Dot Game Heroes is a fun game with a lot of appeal for the classic gamer (Especially if you enjoy the Zelda franchise). And as a side benefit, it's also quite cheap.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 1st, 2014, 12:07 am

I'd definitely recommend GTA V, the save system is MUCH more forgiving this time around, you get several mid-mission checkpoints(and you also have the option of skipping a mission altogether if you fail it enough times), the shooting mechanics are also greatly improved, the characters special abilties(Michael's focused aim and Trevor's rampage mode) certainly help out quite a bit.

Also if you weren't a fan of IV's realistic driving physics, V's are more comfortable and less rigid, they're more along the lines of driving mechanics or the Saints Row series.

If you're a Shenmue fan, you'll probably enjoy Heavy Rain.

Some other possible titles to consider:

Time Crisis 4 and Razing Storm

Haze

Ratchet And Clank Future series

Sly 4: Thieves In Time

wur1

Postby wur1 » June 1st, 2014, 10:51 am

Guys, thanks a lot for the suggestions.  What's your view of the move?  I'm unwilling to spend more than 50$ on it.  By all appearances, it's just a Wii-knock off, but with "better accuracy". (and an unwieldly orb)

I like a lot of the Wii games though, when it came out.  I loved Goldeneye, just the awesome feeling of actually holding a gun with precise aiming.

also, I'd appreciate it if someone commented on the FF10 HD compilation and FF13--are these fun, harken back to the ol' FF2/4 on the SNES or FF7?  I heard they're more like Chrono Trigger, where they don't have those annoying encounters.

I enjoyed how Metal Gear Peace Walker and Deus Ex 3 handled grinding and leveling up.  Will this just be "pace around and a village and slay monsters for a few hours, go back to village and buy health, rinse, repeat" like the old FF's, or is even the grinding fun?  I don't have the patience for this any more.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » June 1st, 2014, 11:19 am

I didn't notice any mention of racing games. Might want to checkout the Motorstorm series. Other racers include Gran Turismo, Blur, and Sonic Racing Transformed.

Hot Shots Golf, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Earth Defense Force 2025 (I think that came out for PS3) are some other fun games from some different genres.

I've got the Move controllers. You can use them with Killzone 3, Medieval Moves, and the Sports Champions (1 & 2) are fun games. Lightgun-style games like Time Crisis:Razing Storm work well with it. I've also tried the Cooking Mama style game Order Up, which is fun. They're not essential, but if you can find them fairly cheap, you might want to give them a shot.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 1st, 2014, 3:04 pm

The Move pretty much is a Wii-mote knock-off and dosen't support that many games, so if you have to get it i'd recommend you get it cheap.

wur1

Postby wur1 » June 1st, 2014, 7:10 pm

I found move /w camera and nunchuk and the Wii Sports-PS3 edition for 30$, used.  So I ordered it.  I want to play the few light gun games and FPS's that support it, as well as Heavy Rain.  Plus VGC seemed to like the Wii Sports-PS3 edition game.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I generally am not a driving fan except for mario kart.  There was one that was meant to be "mario kart, but rated M!!!!!".  Was that Blur?

if anyone can tell me what Japanese RPG's are any good, I'd appreciate it.  The market saturation is as bad as FPS's, impossible to find which few are any fun.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » June 1st, 2014, 10:43 pm

Hey, wur!  Good to see you again.

Watch some video reviews of the InFamous series.  It's one of my favorites.  In fact, InFamous 2 is one of my favorite games of the 7th generation.  Like other "trilogies," Sony packed InFamous 1, InFamous 2 and InFamous: Festival of Blood into the InFamous Collection.  I highly recommend it.

I'd also recommend the Far Cry Collection, which contains Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.  Far Cry 2 is okay, but FC3 and (the previously download only) Blood Dragon are top drawer open-world shooters.  Awesome stuff.  Speaking of shooters, you mentioned the Resistance Trilogy and you should definitely get it.  Resistance: Fall of Man is showing it's age (2006 launch title) but it's still a solid game.  And the series got better with each installment.  Resistance 3 is one of the greatest and most under-appreciated FPS games of all-time, imo.  Buy that trilogy with confidence.

After you play through some of the more obvious stuff and you're willing to go further down the PS3 rabbit hole, look into 3D Dot Game Heroes, Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Crown, Tales of Xilia, Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time, Journey, Beyond: Two Souls, Demon's Souls...

You've got a LOOOOOOT of catching up to do!  Enjoy it.  It's a great system with the best exclusive library, easily.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 2nd, 2014, 4:01 am

I thought Blood Drive was the M-rated Mario Kart clone.

For non-exclusive titles, I would recommend these games:

50 Cent: Blood On The Sand

Aliens Vs. Predator

Alone In The Dark

Alpha Protocol

Army Of Two series

Batman: Arkham series

Battlefield series

Bodycount

Borderlands series

Bulletstorm

COD: Modern Warfare and Black Ops series as well as Ghosts

Call Of Juarez series

Condemned 2

Conflict: Denied Ops

Crysis series

Dark Sector

Deadpool

Dead Rising 2

Dead Space series

Dead To Rights Retribution

Devil May Cry 4

Duke Nuken Forever

F.E.A.R. series

Fallout 3 and New Vegas

Far Cry 2 and 3

Fist Of The North star: Ken's Rage 1 and 2

Fracture

Front Mission Evolved

Hitman: Absolution

Homefront

James Bond 007: Blood Stone

Just Cause 2

Kane and Lynch series

Legendary

Lost Planet series

Mass Effect series

Medal Of Honor

Mercenaries 2

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Metro: Last Light

Mindjack

Mirror's Edge

Neverdead

Ninja Gaiden series

No More Heroes

Operation Flashpoint series

Orange Box

Prototype 1 and 2

Quantum Theory

Rage

Red Faction series

Remember Me

Resident Evil series

Saints Row series

Saw 1 and 2

Silent Hill series

Singularity

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 1 and 2

Soldier Of Fortune: Payback

Sonic Unleashed and Generations

Spec Ops: The Line

Splatterhouse

Syndicate

The Bourne Conspiracy

The Darkness 1 and 2

Ghost Recon series

Rainbow Six series

Splinter Cell series

Tomb Raider series

Turok

Vanquish

Wheelman

Also more exclusives I forgot to mention: the Yakuza series.

wur1

Postby wur1 » June 2nd, 2014, 1:55 pm

50 Cent Blood on the Sand!!! Totally forgot that one!!  Not a hiphop fan but wanted to play that bad.  This is what piques my interest:

Fifty wrote a book he coauthored with Robert Greene, the well-known intellectual who wrote a book based on the writings of Sun Tzu, von Clausewitz, etc., "The 48 Laws of Power".  The 50 Cent/Greene collaboration is called "The 50th Law". 

50 studied Greene's book, as well as Sun Tzu et al., and used those ideas to raise up within the music industry.  I don't know much about rap, but he's kind of regarded as a philosopher-king among the rap music industry.

Only a philosopher-king of hiphop would go for a Gears of War knockoff based on himself, hahaha.  Can't imagine any other philosopher-king allowing this:  Can you imagine George Washington and Thomas Jefferson allowing their likenesses to be used in a co-op shooter?  Che Guevara, no matter your view of him, would have certainly not authorized the old NES shooter where he's the main character, "Guerilla War".  (Look that one up)

Return to “Video Games General”