Which game is the modern day E.T. ready for burial in a desert?

General and high profile video game topics.
Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 22nd, 2014, 4:46 pm

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/crytek-in-deep-trouble-adoption-of-cryengine-not-good-ryse-development-catastrophic/

Actually, maybe the 'modern day E.T.'   will turn out to be Ryse. This is not looking good for Crytek.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » June 22nd, 2014, 5:43 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher] It has nothing to do with Review feedback and should be put in the general section.[/QUOTE]
Done

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 22nd, 2014, 6:00 pm

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher][QUOTE=Segatarious]http://www.dsogaming.com/news/crytek-in-deep-trouble-adoption-of-cryengine-not-good-ryse-development-catastrophic/

Actually, maybe the 'modern day E.T.'   will turn out to be Ryse. This is not looking good for Crytek.[/QUOTE]
Really sometimes you surpass yourself with your BS.  You have never played the game so really you cannot comment.  I have it is a good beat em up.  Also it is much more original that the weary outings of super (snore) smash brothers...

Who ever put this in the wrong section can you delete it.  It has nothing to do with Review feedback and should be put in the general section.[/QUOTE]

Is it B.S.?

Ryse has been a disaster for Crytek, and could lead to some combination  of possibly bankruptcy, huge losses, and lay offs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_%28video_game%29

Negotiations to secure the rights to make the game ended in late July 1982, giving Warshaw only five and a half weeks[2] to develop the game in time for the 1982 Christmas season. The result is often cited as one of the worst video games released and was one of the biggest commercial failures in video gaming history. The game's commercial failure and resulting effects on Atari are frequently cited as a contributing factor to the video game industry crash of 1983.

They hold much in common : 

both games over hyped.
both games rushed for Christmas sales
both expensive to company
both flopped sales wise
both could/were be a part of  long term negative consequences for the companies that made them.

Way better example than iCarly, and Wii Sports is a ridiculous example, that game is truly the total opposite of the E.T. situation. Not sure how it can be claimed no one played or cared about Wii Sports when it obviously drove the Wii phenom for a couple of years more or less by itself and  when the sequel sold over 30 million copies as a full priced videogame. That boggles my mind.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » June 22nd, 2014, 9:03 pm

I didn't think of it until now, but what about Daikatana? Over-hyped, wildly-ambitious game by a respected developer based on valuable intellectual property (Id Software's previous first-person shooters) with problematic development (too much time with too little direction, in this case) that became a massive financial bust, routinely appears in Worst Games of All-Time lists and did irreparable harm to John Romero's career.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 22nd, 2014, 9:41 pm

I think that you guys may be missing the point of ET. There really is no modern day equivalent. Sure, there are games that flat-out suck; games that bomb so badly they harm, or cripple, the reputation of a company; and games that are broken out of the box. ET was different. It was a rushed game, made by a company who was riding high on their own arrogance, and it contributed, not solely, to the erosion of an entire industry. It was symbolic of everything wrong with the industry.

Wii Sports, if anything, helped the industry.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » June 22nd, 2014, 10:39 pm

You couldn't make E.T. today. E.T. was made by one man in five weeks, despite being the commercial cornerstone of Atari's holiday releases. Today's games typically take at least a year in development (even small independent games), significantly longer for new IPs. There was no time for focus testing, for public showcases, for games media or the Internet (neither of which existed in any meaningful way) to look at this weird little game and rip it apart. There were articles and videos (Conan's E3 video, for instance) making fun of the QTE stuff in Ryse 5 months before the game even came out, and truly bad games like Ride to Hell are so dissected that everyone (save some parents and most grandparents) knows to avoid them like the plague by the time they come out. There are so few real surprises anymore, and when they do happen (Minecraft, Angry Birds) they seem to come from out of nowhere.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » June 23rd, 2014, 3:17 am

[QUOTE=Orion]If they can find a dumped enough:  Wii Sports.  They produced 82,000,000 of them, 99.9% of which are probably never going to be played again.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but I don't see how Wii Sports would be burial worthy. I know not everyone likes it, but many people do like it, myself included. I find it a fun collection of sports to play, and I'm not even a fan of Sports Games. It was insanely popular, as well. It was pretty much everyone's introduction to the fun of the Wii, and it introduced many people to the fun of motion controls. Wii Sports also became a legendary party game. It's a game that created many new gamers out of people who previously never touched a controller in their life. I know some people will point out that it was a pack in game, and say that that is the only reason people even care about it, but the fact that Wii Sports Resort sold 33 million copies means that people obviously liked the first game enough to invest in the sequel.

Whether you love Wii Sports, or whether you absolutely hate it with a passion, you cannot deny it's place in gaming history.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 23rd, 2014, 6:55 am

[QUOTE=Astrosmasher]This is the point.  I have played both games and you have not.  You can only go on what the haters thought.  So as I said before you are talking total BS.  I never mentioned any wii games.  Have all the links you want it still does not change the fact you do not know what you are talking about. 

U draw sank THQ.  It was released on everything and did not sell.  It was pretty good fun. 

Ryse has not sold great but it is early days.  I am not sure what they thought was going to happen releasing a game with Roman themes. 

It is not like Silicon Knights a pretty average beat em up with duff graphics now that one did finish off the studio.  For me Crytek should never should have sold out on Far Cry.

I know you hate MS, you never have a good word to say for it. 

[/QUOTE]

Roman themes? More like violent themes. It is just a 'Roman' skin. Violent themes are usually a pretty safe bet, anyway. Why is this MS hate? Because this game was released on Xbox ONE? Wow, you are a defensive one. This is not hate at all. It is a news story of a major dev having a severe cash flow problem due to to many circumstances, including the catastrophic development of Ryse.

So.......

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » June 23rd, 2014, 7:10 am

[QUOTE=Orion]If they can find a dump big enough:  Wii Sports.  They produced 82,000,000 of them, 99.9% of which are probably never going to be played again.[/QUOTE]

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 23rd, 2014, 6:35 pm

[QUOTE=Orion][QUOTE=Orion]If they can find a dump big enough:  Wii Sports.  They produced 82,000,000 of them, 99.9% of which are probably never going to be played again.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

If they can find a dump big enough:  Halo: Combat Evolved.  They produced 6.43m  of them, 99.9% of which are probably never going to be played again.

It makes JUST as much sense!

Return to “Video Games General”