I need to prove to someone that games can be terrifying...

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » April 24th, 2012, 1:26 am

Recently my sister was in town and in the same room when I mentioned how disturbing some of the moments in the game I was currently playing are (I think I was talking about Bioshock 2).  When she heard this she rolled her eyes and smiled.  When I asked why, she responded that it was "because you think a video game is scary."  Hearing this frustrated the heck out of me, especially because I think that scary video games are, by nature, generally more intense than scary movies, because the events are directed more at you and are more personal. 

So, she is visiting again in a month or so, and I want to be fully prepared to give her a complete demonstration of how scary video games can be.  But I need to be very careful about what I show her.  It needs to be something that is fairly early in the game, or quickly reachable, and I don't think something gory or extra bloody would do the trick, because that might seem more like a cheap trick to scare people instead of something genuinely scary.   I think, at this point, I want to show her a scene or two from the first Bioshock, to help her see how much atmosphere can be conveyed in a game, and I might go through the first few parts of Resident Evil 4, but after that, I have not played alot of games that are exclusively made to be scary, like what I know the Silent Hill games are.  I would prefer to have these demonstrations on the PS3 or even the Wii, but I will borrow a 360 from my younger brother if absolutely necessary.  I'm sure I could command a good half hour of her time if I had good material for it, so let it fly.  What does everyone recommend?  

Suplexmachine1

Postby Suplexmachine1 » April 24th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Tough situation.  Most scary games become scary because you've fully immersed yourself in it.  Calling her over to the couch to watch one little 5 minute section probably won't do the trick since she she hasn't fully given herself up to the game.

You should give her a copy of the original Silent Hill and have her play through it.  Tell her to only play it at night, with the volume UP.  

Enemy Zero on Saturn always scared the crap outta' me, but that was in 1997 or so, so it might not have the same effect now.  

As for the Wii, maybe Cursed Mountain...?  It's survival horror and in a creepy setting.

On the PS3: 
Siren: Blood Curse
Condemned 2: Blood Shot
Dead Space
Penumbra: Black Plague
Heavy Rain has some scary parts...same with Clive Barker's Jericho

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » April 24th, 2012, 1:03 pm

[QUOTE=Suplexmachine]Tough situation.  Most scary games become scary because you've fully immersed yourself in it.  Calling her over to the couch to watch one little 5 minute section probably won't do the trick since she she hasn't fully given herself up to the game.
[/QUOTE]

This hits the nail on the head.

The only game that has actually scared me while playing it was Resident Evil 4. It was the spooky sound more than anything that did the trick.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 24th, 2012, 5:04 pm

You have to set up the proper playing mood.  Play in the dark, with the sound cranked up.  

The hard part is getting to a scene in the game that will set the mood.  I have two recommendations that won't take long to get to.

The Suffering (PS2/Xbox) - Play this right from the beginning.  You start off in your prison cell and you don't even see an enemy for a while.  However the first enemy you encounter has blades for limbs...you hear the thing scraping around the prison while you fumble around in the darkness.  I played this in college with two or three guys watching and we all jumped a few times during this intense little opening lol.

Resident Evil Remake (GC/Wii) Play the game and get past the part where you find the first zombie.  Save if you can...when she comes over just load from this part.  Walk around, let her soak up the atmosphere of the mansion.  Then head into the hall with the huge windows.  I'd be shocked if she didn't jump when those Cerberus crash through the window.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » April 24th, 2012, 5:18 pm

There are several games that actually did scare me.  Clock Tower (the US release, which was Japanese Clock Tower 2), the original Silent Hill, REmake, the original Siren.

Even Eternal Darkness actually scared me from time to time, though I wasn't in a perpetual state of unease and fear with that game.

I don't feel any fear of horror movies these days.  When I was a young kid, yes, but none of them make me feel authentically scared these days.  Games are the only thing that can do it, and it's precisely because of the immersion.  I don't feel like a character on the screen is in danger, I feel like I am, at least for a duration sufficent to unsettle me.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » April 24th, 2012, 7:38 pm

None of the games will really scare her unless she's playing them, and is invested in continuing to play them.

Also, some people just don't scare easily, especially if they have a chance to watch someone else being scared by something they're immune to. Then it's just a magical comedy experience.

Try Rule of the Rose for a Hail Mary play, if you want to get under her skin. I've seen women play Silent Hill games and turn into Call of Duty commandos, but Rule of the Rose touches on much more taboo subjects.

Or if you want to just make her jump, and can get a controller in her hands, try Fatal Frame - you'll be able to see how steady her nerves are, when she aims that camera...

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 25th, 2012, 1:46 am

I've recently been playing Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS a lot, and I can say it scared me a lot! Put some earphones on and turn the lights off and you will have a treat of a horror game!

Bioshock is another great one. Those Big Daddy's aren't only annoying, but they are also scary. The game is also disturbing and really fun. One of my favorite games from this gen.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » April 25th, 2012, 3:04 am

I think I am going to insist that she allow me either three 10-minute game scenes or two 15-minute ones, so I have a chance to get her really involved in each one.  I with they had Amnesia: The Dark Descent on the PS3 because the teaser trailer on youtube looks perfect.

rahimtx1

Postby rahimtx1 » April 25th, 2012, 3:48 pm

I feel Dead Space 1 and 2 has the more scarier moments from a game out of this generation. The game that made me jump the most was Resident Evil 2 hands down. Particularly the part when you are in the interrogation room and I beleive a Licker jumps through the one sided mirror. I had the volume way up at the time, and It was heard all through out the house lol.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » April 25th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Just have her play this.

Return to “Video Games General”