Good article about possible disc-less XBone and problems with download-only games

General and high profile video game topics.
Paul1231

Good article about possible disc-less XBone and problems with download-only games

Postby Paul1231 » April 12th, 2014, 11:54 am

This article is only mildly informative, especially because it focuses on what may or may not come to pass: a cheaper XBone with no disc drive. But I think the author makes some great points about everything from the effects of streaming data-caps of Internet service providers, to alot of the proposed-yet-bogus reasons a streaming-only system is supposedly better for consumers..

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/Xbox-One-With-Disc-Drive-399-Would-You-Buy-It-62010.html

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 12th, 2014, 1:59 pm

After the negative reaction the download-only idea got the first time, I really don't see this happening anytime soon.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » April 12th, 2014, 2:25 pm

The article reads like an angry teenagers wannabe-comedian blog.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » April 12th, 2014, 2:46 pm

What is it with companies trying to get rid of discs anyway? I mean, no one used cassettes past '95 and yet I've seen cars ten years older that have drives for them. Now every computer manufacturer is externalizing the CD drive while I still see people with bookshelves full of CDs.

Nothing enticed me to get an XBone in the first place and this proposal certainly wouldn't help. Until someone can best Valve, no one should try to be Valve.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » April 12th, 2014, 6:14 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]The article reads like an angry teenagers wannabe-comedian blog.[/QUOTE]

Sort of, but I think he brings up some really good points, like the validity of bringing up "instant game access" as a benefit to downloading a game to your hard drive, when you are required to put all of the content of a disk on the hard drive already...

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 13th, 2014, 8:18 am

I only buy downloads if they are very cheap.  I bought Rise of the Triads on steam recently and it is worth the £2.99 I paid for it but it would not have been worth the £12 it originally was. 
I got Dark Souls for a similar price.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » April 13th, 2014, 7:00 pm

[QUOTE=HardcoreSadism]The article reads like an angry teenagers wannabe-comedian blog.[/QUOTE]

I thought the actual article was poorly done, but the idea that it shared was of interest. It sounds like Micro$oft ain't giving up its dreams of digital dominance so easily. I am surprised that this is being leaked so soon after their take-over attempt. I figured they'd wait at least a year. In order for this to succeed I think they need to offer it at a substantially lower price than the Bone.  

Return to “Video Games General”