Does the PS4 have the same update annoyances as the PS3?

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 27th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Actually patches are for your benefit since they can fix glitches and improve performances, in previous generations if a game had a game-breaking glitch there was no way to fix it and you just had to deal with it. I'm glad we've finally moved past that and I think it's silly to keep a console offline just because you don't want to deal with a patch or update(it should not "infuriate", that's just how technology has moved along, so you have to accept it), patches on the 360 download pretty fast so that's not an issue for me, though with how long updates take on Sony consoles I can certainly sympathize with PS3 and owners though(30 minutes for game updates and 60 minutes for system updates is just sheer lunacy).

a1

Postby a1 » February 27th, 2015, 11:17 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Sut]Yes that is a big improvement with the PS4, you can enable updates in 'rest' mode so the system will download both system and game updates whilst in this mode.[/QUOTE]

You can set the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U to automatically download updates as well. The OP's situation with MW3 could have been prevented by this.[/QUOTE]

You can only do that on PS3 if you pay for Plus. Stupidest thing to put behind a paywall

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 27th, 2015, 11:20 pm

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Sut]Yes that is a big improvement with the PS4, you can enable updates in 'rest' mode so the system will download both system and game updates whilst in this mode.[/QUOTE] You can set the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U to automatically download updates as well. The OP's situation with MW3 could have been prevented by this.[/QUOTE] You can only do that on PS3 if you pay for Plus. Stupidest thing to put behind a paywall[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid that's not true, a. The only feature that's limited to plus is cloud storage of save data. Please see the above posted link for more details.

Paul1231

Postby Paul1231 » February 28th, 2015, 2:42 am

[QUOTE=a][QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Sut]Yes that is a big improvement with the PS4, you can enable updates in 'rest' mode so the system will download both system and game updates whilst in this mode.[/QUOTE]

You can set the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U to automatically download updates as well. The OP's situation with MW3 could have been prevented by this.[/QUOTE]

You can only do that on PS3 if you pay for Plus. Stupidest thing to put behind a paywall[/QUOTE]

So in other words, no, I CAN'T get automatic updates as easily as some have led to believe. And at the same time, my preference would also be to only allow the update when I am ready to receive it, because I have had a grand total of 4 devices bricked by updates: 2 A/V receivers, a first Gen PS3, and a tablet... so don't think it can't happen. I would like to give the update some time to flesh out on other users of the console to see if it causes problems, and then one day start the process AFTER I finish playing on a Thursday night. Is that to much to ask?

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 28th, 2015, 8:11 am

Paul,

You can schedule the updates for any time of day you choose.

And just to reiterate, it is not true that you need PS Plus to turn on auto-update. Please reference the PSN link above for more details.

Dave1

Postby Dave1 » February 28th, 2015, 10:45 pm

I think auto-updating used to be a PS Plus only feature, but isn't anymore.

Return to “Video Games General”