Will having a really strong password on my PSN account prevent this from happening to me?

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Will having a really strong password on my PSN account prevent this from happening to me?

Postby Vexer1 » March 18th, 2015, 1:02 pm

But aren't all games "junkfood" in a way?  That bit doesn't make any sense to me, I see no reason not to purchase things on XBLA just cause a few people got hacked, that's just silly to me.  There's risks associated with doing pretty much anything online these days, but it's necessary risk you have to take.

I'm not an athletic person so I don't do hikes, marathons or do zip-lining, that extreme sports stuff just bores me to death.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 18th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Pre paid PSN and co cards are the way to go.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 18th, 2015, 10:42 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]  There's risks associated with doing pretty much anything online these days, but it's necessary risk you have to take.
[/QUOTE]
Necessary how?  It is entirely possible to live a very happy life without ever buying anything on the internet.  In fact, although I would prefer to go online for stuff like these forums, I could happily live without ever using the internet if push came to shove.  Nothing essential to my life comes from here.  I'd miss you guys, but being online isn't necessary to me, or to anyone really.  

As for all games being junkfood, that is correct.  Definitely.  My point wasn't that online stuff was the only junkfood, just that risking your information online may not be worth it (with the current systems in place) considering you're not getting much more than junkfood in return.  I wouldn't risk an identity theft buying a bag of chips if I thought a store was letting people see credit card numbers.  Neither do I think it is unreasonable (given past history) to avoid buying on the frequently insecure online storefronts for games using a credit card (as opposed to points cards).  That's just being smart.  And if you have no real ownership if your account is hacked, all the more reason not to buy that way at all.  Again, not unreasonable.  It's unreasonable to give companies a pass for failing to secure data or purchase histories, even some of the time.  

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 18th, 2015, 11:04 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]As for all games being junkfood, that is correct. [/QUOTE]

Hmm...I'm not so sure about that.

If Mass Effect, Silent Hill 2, or Shadow of the Colossus were films, they would be great ones. No one would hesitate to laud their artistry. Does the interactivity somehow make them valueless? I would argue that it only enhances the power of their respective narratives.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » March 19th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Atarifever- But you do pretty much have to a bank account online in order to do anything nowadays, and there's always risks associated with that, you're already risking online information every day if that's the case, so what difference does it make if you make a few purchases on Live or PSN here and there?  Microsoft has always been good at reimbursing the few people that have been hacked, so that's not a concern for me, and personally I don't give a rat's ass about "real ownership", as long as I can actually play the damn games I truly could not give less of a f*** on whether or not I truly "own" them.

Nobody's giving these companies a "pass" on anything just because they make online purchases, that's utter nonsense. But it's unreasonable to assume that these companies will be 100% secure, nothing is ever 100% secure, that's just reality, I wouldn't call avoiding online purchases just cause a few people got hacked being "smart", i'd call it being overly paranoid.

Don't really what the point of them being "necessary" or not is.

Return to “Video Games General”