Turbografx question.

General and high profile video game topics.
Rev1

Turbografx question.

Postby Rev1 » December 29th, 2014, 5:32 pm

OMG, I just wrote a huge paragraph and I don't think the site took it. Dear lord.... Let me try to retype up all my comments because I think the forum just ate my page long reply....

Rev1

Turbografx question.

Postby Rev1 » December 29th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Okay... so I'm retyping this whole thing up again... God I hope this goes through this time...

@Wallyworld

I totally should have spaced out my comments on the last post but I was trying to catch you before you made any big purchases... Sorry. In one of my last posts I said, " If you buy the Arcade Card ($30ish) then you can not only play all CD games ever made but you can then play US HU Cards on your Turbografx and all CD games on the Pc Engine." I should have really put some more commas in there because what I meant was that if you have the Arcade card then you can play ALL CD games ever made for the Turbografx/PC Engine without the need for anything else. The Arcade Card does not allow you to play U.S. Turbografx games on the PC Engine because it takes up the HU Card slot (thus there is no where for you to put your game in). The Arcade Card is neat and all but it isn't really necessary if you buy the PC Engine Duo R unless you want to play the 10-15 games that only work with the Arcade Card (the most common ones that people know of are Sapphire, Strider, and a bunch of Neo Geo fighting games).

The basic console will work just fine for all Super CD and normal CD games. It will also play PC Engine HU Cards no problem. However, the number of little grooves on the HU cards prevent U.S. games from fitting correctly into the console, and vice versa for trying to play Japanese Hu Cards on the U.S. system. The adapter is the only way to get around this because it basically puts the Hu Cards in backwards so they fit correctly. There are Hu Card adapters for Pc Engine to Turbografx as well as Turbografx to Pc Engine, however both are hard to find and the U.S. ones tend to be next to impossible to find. If you really want to play all the Turbografx has to offer I would recommend the following 2 (3) things-

1. Buy a normal Turbografx-16 console with no CD add on or anything else. These are cheaper then most HU Card converters and they are far more durable than those stupid things. They are also MUCH, MUCH easier to find with little to no scavenging on your part needed.

2. Buy a PC Engine Duo R/RX- The consoles are basically the same except the Duo RX has a six button controller included compared to the Duo R, which has a 2 button controller. The Duo R's are easier to find and cheaper, so you can always buy a separate 6 button controller of higher quality without forking over another $100. These are the absolute best ways to play CD games, regardless of region because they are insanely durable and are likely to last for years with little to no trouble. The U.S. only got the cheap and flimsy Turbo Duo which are prone to break and are very flimsy.

3. Optional Step- buy the Arcade Card. This final, optional step, easily allows you to play any and all CD games ever made for the system, regardless of whether they are Normal CD, Super CD, or Arcade CD games. However, the Arcade games are simply the following- Strider, Sapphire (awesome shmup though, but $$$), and a bunch of Neo Geo fighting games which are only second to the Neo Geo itself. This card also allows you to play enhanced versions of a small selection of Super CD Pc Engine games (no U.S. games got the enhancements) automatically by having the Arcade card in your system when you load up the game. This card is actually pretty cheap at around $30.

These steps are by far the cheapest and easiest-to-acquire method to play all the Turbografx/PC Engine has to offer. The core consoles are much more durable then the flimsy Hu Card adapters and cost drastically less. They are also easier to replace/fix if there is a problem. The Pc Engine is also cheaper to acquire games for and has a bunch of exclusive Hu Card games which are very fun and easy to understand for the most part. I can recommend some games I own if you're interested. Also, if you know someone who modes PC Engine systems, you could even skip step 1 and get your PC Engine Duo R modded so you don't even need a U.S. Turbografx (hell, if you find someone let me know, I have no clue where to find someone who does those types of mods). You also skip out on needing the expensive Super System Card 3.0 for U.S. Super CD games, which goes for $200+.

You may have guessed it already, but the Turbografx/PC Engine is easily the second most expensive to collect for right behind the Neo Geo. However, if you're into burning games you can burn CD's and play them directly on the console which could save you a lot of money. If you do this, make sure you use a high quality CD and burning job or you risk hurting your system (might not be worth it but some people swear by this). I hope I helped with this. I might have missed something but if you have any questions let me know. I spent a good year buying all this unnecessary stuff because I wasn't quite sure what I actually needed. It's definitely confusing but there are a bunch of really awesome games that can be found on no other console, so it's definitely worth owning if you have the patience to slowly acquire what you need. I love my setup and it's one of my favorite consoles now. Getting everything is the hardest part though.

Wallyworld1

Turbografx question.

Postby Wallyworld1 » December 30th, 2014, 11:08 am

Thanks for all the great info Rev. I'm going to buy the japanese duo with an american TG16 for Hu cards.

ActRaiser1

Turbografx question.

Postby ActRaiser1 » December 30th, 2014, 12:10 pm

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]Thanks for all the great info Rev. I'm going to buy the japanese duo with an american TG16 for Hu cards.[/QUOTE]

That's the setup I went with.  Duo-R and an American TG-16 for US cards.  Works like a champ.

strat1

Turbografx question.

Postby strat1 » December 30th, 2014, 1:39 pm

Dracula X has a little (very little) joke game that runs in a PC-Engine CD with the System 2.0 card.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2a3OAmqEEY

Gentlegamer1

Turbografx question.

Postby Gentlegamer1 » January 6th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Every person who is a fan or wants to learn more about TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine should join the forum at www.pcenginefx.com

The advice in this thread on what systems to get is good, I recently bought a PCE Duo-R with region switch for $305 from a member at pcenginefx. There are a couple members there that regularly sell refurbished Duos, as well as PCE+CD unit briefcase set ups, with a whole menu of mod options. But don't join just to buy those, become a member of the community.

Wallyworld1

Turbografx question.

Postby Wallyworld1 » January 24th, 2015, 5:59 pm

My Duo-r just came in the mail today. I had it shipped to me at work so I haven't had the pleasure of playing yet. 

One this I noticed already though is that the Controller cable is very short. Do they make controller extensions for these? If so are the japanese and american versions the same and interchangeable? 

Also do North American controllers for TG-16 work on the Duo-r?

Thanks in advance,

Wallyworld

Vexer1

Turbografx question.

Postby Vexer1 » January 24th, 2015, 7:47 pm

Rev1

Turbografx question.

Postby Rev1 » January 25th, 2015, 1:53 pm

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]My Duo-r just came in the mail today. I had it shipped to me at work so I haven't had the pleasure of playing yet. 

One this I noticed already though is that the Controller cable is very short. Do they make controller extensions for these? If so are the japanese and american versions the same and interchangeable? 

Also do North American controllers for TG-16 work on the Duo-r?

Thanks in advance,

Wallyworld[/QUOTE]

Hey Wallyworld,

Unfortunately U.S. accessories don't work (to the best of my knowledge) on the Duo R. Let me do a little research and  I'll post what I find later today. I think the 3rd party controller I bought has a longer cable but I want to make sure first.

Rev1

Turbografx question.

Postby Rev1 » January 25th, 2015, 5:03 pm

hmm.... so the 3rd party controller I have isn't any longer either...  Vexer is right that the cable he provided should work. Another option would be buying a multitap. This would extend the cable by about a half and would allow you to do 4 player multiplayer.

Return to “Video Games General”