Upscaler for LED TV

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Upscaler for LED TV

Postby Leo1 » January 30th, 2014, 10:21 am

Bluenote, I believe this same converter was discussed at AtariAge. Sounded like it stretched everything to 16:9 with no option to pillarbox a 4:3 picture to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

Are your SuperNes games stretched to fill your screen?

Bluenote1

Upscaler for LED TV

Postby Bluenote1 » January 31st, 2014, 9:18 am

[QUOTE=Leo]Bluenote, I believe this same converter was discussed at AtariAge. Sounded like it stretched everything to 16:9 with no option to pillarbox a 4:3 picture to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

Are your SuperNes games stretched to fill your screen?[/QUOTE]

Hi Leo,

They are, but I just simply change the aspect ratio on my tv to 4:3. 

I will say though, I may have been mistaken with the quality.  Let me explain:  My tv does not have S video input, so I use this converter so that I can plug in my SNES using S video.  Now, my SNES games look really good!  However, I think it may be the difference between Composite and S video that I'm seeing, not necessarily the upconversion to HDMI.

Most of my NES games look pretty good, but not terribly different from just hooking them up to the TV directly.  I believe my TV may have a half decent upscaler built in.  It's a 42" LG LED that I purchased a few months back. 

I have noticed one thing though:  I played Castlevania 2 on the NES and the background seems to flicker when you move and the opening title screen seems very rough (the lettering especially).  I downloaded Castlevania 2 on the Wii U virtual console, and it looks great!  No flickering when you move the character, etc.  Would this be the case if I played it on a CRT? 

Anyway, that's my observations with this upscaler.

chrisbid1

Upscaler for LED TV

Postby chrisbid1 » January 31st, 2014, 4:34 pm

pick up a cheap high quality 13" CRT for classic gaming.  in a few years they will be difficult to find.

Leo1

Upscaler for LED TV

Postby Leo1 » January 31st, 2014, 11:23 pm

[QUOTE=Bluenote][QUOTE=Leo]Bluenote, I believe this same converter was discussed at AtariAge. Sounded like it stretched everything to 16:9 with no option to pillarbox a 4:3 picture to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

They are, but I just simply change the aspect ratio on my tv to 4:3.  [/QUOTE]

How can you do that if this converter is sending out a HD signal? 

I've never heard of a HDTV that actually allows you to pillarbox a HD signal (Which is natively 16:9). There are legitimate needs for tv display settings such as stretch mode with SD/ED signals not to mention a ton of people that just like everything to fill their screen no matter if it's supposed to or not. But no demand to go the other way.

TV manufacturers invariably (Or so I thought) expect any pillarboxing necessary for an HD signal to already be present in the signal being sent to the tv (Such as when you fire up something Wii U's Virtual Console... the pillarboxing is being applied by the Wii U rather than your tv). So those display settings shouldn't have any affect if the signal being received by the tv is HD.

Sounds like you lucked out at the tv end too since this ability to voluntarily apply pillarboxing to a HD source isn't typical. Very limited range of usefulness for such an option.

[QUOTE=Bluenote]I will say though, I may have been mistaken with the quality.  [/QUOTE]

Even a $500 scaler isn't perfect. It will vary from system to system, input type to input type, and even fluctuate from game to game on the same system as resolutions vary across most if not every classic console game library out there. 

Sounds like this was such a good deal though where even if you never find a satisfactory pairing beyond your Super Nintendo for it, that it was money well spent.

Bluenote1

Upscaler for LED TV

Postby Bluenote1 » February 3rd, 2014, 9:41 am

[QUOTE=Leo][QUOTE=Bluenote][QUOTE=Leo]Bluenote, I believe this same converter was discussed at AtariAge. Sounded like it stretched everything to 16:9 with no option to pillarbox a 4:3 picture to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

They are, but I just simply change the aspect ratio on my tv to 4:3.  [/QUOTE]

How can you do that if this converter is sending out a HD signal? 

I've never heard of a HDTV that actually allows you to pillarbox a HD signal (Which is natively 16:9). There are legitimate needs for tv display settings such as stretch mode with SD/ED signals not to mention a ton of people that just like everything to fill their screen no matter if it's supposed to or not. But no demand to go the other way.

TV manufacturers invariably (Or so I thought) expect any pillarboxing necessary for an HD signal to already be present in the signal being sent to the tv (Such as when you fire up something Wii U's Virtual Console... the pillarboxing is being applied by the Wii U rather than your tv). So those display settings shouldn't have any affect if the signal being received by the tv is HD.

Sounds like you lucked out at the tv end too since this ability to voluntarily apply pillarboxing to a HD source isn't typical. Very limited range of usefulness for such an option.

[QUOTE=Bluenote]I will say though, I may have been mistaken with the quality.  [/QUOTE]

Even a $500 scaler isn't perfect. It will vary from system to system, input type to input type, and even fluctuate from game to game on the same system as resolutions vary across most if not every classic console game library out there. 

Sounds like this was such a good deal though where even if you never find a satisfactory pairing beyond your Super Nintendo for it, that it was money well spent.[/QUOTE]

That's strange, both of my LG tvs (2 different models) do this.  For instance, if I am on a HD channel, I can go to my picture settings and change it to 4:3.  I never knew that this was uncommon. 

I am happy with the upscaler though, as you said at least for the SNES. 

Herschie1

Upscaler for LED TV

Postby Herschie1 » September 10th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Just decided to give this one a whirl after reading some of the reviews. $400 is a little out of my budget, but $40 I can swing. 

Return to “Video Games General”