Replacing NES Game Batteries

General and high profile video game topics.
Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » May 21st, 2014, 1:31 pm

Weelp, the inevitable finally happened. I was hoping to play Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2 last night on the NES, but noticed my save file wasn't on  the cart. New saves weren't keeping, either. 

So I went ahead and ordered a "NES battery repair kit" from the Nintendo Repair Shop website, and an extra battery with the soldering tabs.

Does anyone have any tips on replacing NES batteries? I usually can't fight my way out of a paper bag, so I'm hesitant about my chances of doing this correctly.

Thanks!

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » May 21st, 2014, 3:39 pm

I actually looked into this when I bought a copy of Pokemon Gold. I think it's just desolder the tab keeping the battery in place, replace the battery and resolder the tab. Some guides for replacing these things even suggest buying a bigger battery, like the ones in the Zelda II carts since they last a solid 30 years.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 21st, 2014, 4:06 pm

[QUOTE=pacguy19]I actually looked into this when I bought a copy of Pokemon Gold. I think it's just desolder the tab keeping the battery in place, replace the battery and resolder the tab. Some guides for replacing these things even suggest buying a bigger battery, like the ones in the Zelda II carts since they last a solid 30 years.[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? I guess it is mindblowing that every Zelda or Dragon Quest cart I've ever owned has saved properly. You gotta hand it to Nintendo's workmanship. I wonder how long ROM carts and the systems that play them will ultimately last? Like, will we still be playing original NESes in 2050?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » May 21st, 2014, 6:47 pm

Yeah it basically boils down to de-soldering, taking out the battery, putting in the new battery, and resoldering. Although, I'm terrible with my hands and I'm not very good at it. I thankfully haven't ruined a game though.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2014, 8:09 pm

My friend Scott and I managed to do this a few years back, but it wasn't as easy as slapping in a new battery.  The old batteries are soldered in, and can be tough to remove.  An exacto knife helps.  Be careful - you don't want to get splattered with battery acid.  Keep the soldering iron away from the battery and protect your eyes.

For the replacement you won't won't to solder it on directly.  Instead you'll want to get a little plastic holder for your CR2032 battery (cheap).  The holder has a pair of leads.  You'll want to solder those to the board.  The wires actually give you some room to work.  In addition, if you ever need to change the battery again (in 25 years) it's not problem - just swap out the one in the holder.

For more details look at some of the YouTube videos which explain the procedure step-by-step.  

Maybe next time I do one of mine I'll record it.

starblazers1

Postby starblazers1 » May 21st, 2014, 10:52 pm

[QUOTE=videogamecritic]My friend Scott and I managed to do this a few years back, but it wasn't as easy as slapping in a new battery.  The old batteries are soldered in, and can be tough to remove.  An exacto knife helps.  Be careful - you don't want to get splattered with battery acid.  Keep the soldering iron away from the battery and protect your eyes.

For the replacement you won't won't to solder it on directly.  Instead you'll want to get a little plastic holder for your CR2032 battery (cheap).  The holder has a pair of leads.  You'll want to solder those to the board.  The wires actually give you some room to work.  In addition, if you ever need to change the battery again (in 25 years) it's not problem - just swap out the one in the holder.

For more details look at some of the YouTube videos which explain the procedure step-by-step.  

Maybe next time I do one of mine I'll record it.[/QUOTE]

The Retron 5 will save your games.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » May 21st, 2014, 11:48 pm

[QUOTE=starblazers]The Retron 5 will save your games.[/QUOTE]

Um...when is that coming out? It sort of fell of the face of the earth...6 months ago...

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » May 22nd, 2014, 12:19 am

[QUOTE=ZetaX][QUOTE=starblazers]The Retron 5 will save your games.[/QUOTE] Um...when is that coming out? It sort of fell of the face of the earth...6 months ago... [/QUOTE]

According to IGN, it's coming out tomorrow.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » May 22nd, 2014, 7:05 am

I was leery of soldering myself, so I ended up following this tutorial. It worked like a charm for all the games I used it on (and I tested all of them afterwards to make sure they held their saves). I will say that removing the contacts from the battery itself without damaging them requires a bit of patience, but if you use a small flathead screwdriver (I think I used size 00) and wiggle it as you gently wedge it under the point where the contact meets the battery (use eye protection just in case) you will get it after a minute or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgYRO-AHJmY

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » May 22nd, 2014, 1:47 pm

[QUOTE=starblazers]
The Retron 5 will save your games.
[/QUOTE]

So can my jailbroken Wii. [smile]

Return to “Video Games General”