The Derailment of the 3d Genre

General and high profile video game topics.
Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 2nd, 2015, 9:59 pm

It's hard to explain, Sony's and Microsoft's system just have this overly digitized look that emphasizes dark colors. It's not pure. It's fine is you like war games in which the atmosphere looks like a wasteland. The Dreamcast has blurry 2d graphics, sort of like the N64. And since it's been seen as the flagship 2d system, it's ruined everything. And I've shown clips that show some of the advanced 2d technology that was suppressed in the 2d thread [smile].

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 2nd, 2015, 10:01 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]It's hard to explain, Sony's and Microsoft's system just have this overly digitized look that emphasizes dark colors. It's not pure. It's fine is you like war games in which the atmosphere looks like a wasteland. The Dreamcast has blurry 2d graphics, sort of like the N64. And since it's been seen as the flagship 2d system, it's ruined everything. And I've shown clips that show some of the advanced 2d technology that was suppressed in the 2d thread [smile].[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the explanation.  [smile]  

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 2nd, 2015, 10:10 pm

[QUOTE=JWK][QUOTE=ptdebate][Quote=JWK]
I've played Suikoden every day for the last two weeks.[/QUOTE]

Hey, let's do something positive and constructive and turn this into a Suikoden II thread! (Mods, can you change the title to spite Jon? [tongue])

How have you been liking it so far? I'm not far yet but that intro sequence tugged on my heartstrings. The combat is remarkably fast and consistently enjoyable. It reminds me a little of SMT with its large parties.
[/QUOTE]

I haven't started II yet, but I'm about 8 hours into the original Suikoden. It's AWESOME. It really rides the line between 16-bit RPGs and the Final Fantasy VII era; almost like a transitional step in the genre. Everyone agrees that Suikoden II is better in every way and I. Can't. Wait. [/QUOTE]

Whoops! I misread your post. Yes, I played the original Suikoden back in 2000 something and loved it. I didn't get around to Suikoden II until recently due to the PSN release though (as I'm sure you know, it was very expensive before). I should probably replay the first one too since I don't remember a lot of it at this point.

I like that they chose to use 2D graphics. The sprites look like a very advanced 16 bit game, as you said.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 2nd, 2015, 10:33 pm

That's why I feel like early 3d games like Hover Strike 3d, Skyhammer, I-War, Starfighter, etc. are really kind of significant because those are part of the early 3d movement that got subsequently destroyed. While the quality of those games varies greatly, they are noteworthy in that regard.

Voor1

Postby Voor1 » March 2nd, 2015, 10:41 pm

I think I get what the OP is saying--since he cited the blurrier/fuzzier/textured graphics on the other systems (less "clean"). But every generation, you see a game from an older system surprise everyone and do something better, graphically, than newer versions. I think it has less to do with hardware and more about art direction. That octopus clip you showed was awesome, but I think you should praise the design team first.

There was no conspiracy to eliminate 2D games in order for the 64 and PS1 to prosper. They just did something different, which people were excited about and that's where the development money went. Innovation in gameplay trumped graphical ability. When 2D kind of resurfaced, it went in a different art direction, kind of like every kid movie that gets released is in the new style (as oppose to drawn cartoons).

That octopus clip is a cool moment, and it's a shame that it's buried under a 1000 clips of much worse moments. Again, that's Ataris fault. They didnt listen to the market.

Return to “Video Games General”