The Twisted Farce that is the Evolution of 2d

General and high profile video game topics.
Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 1st, 2015, 5:08 pm

I've been vocal about how upset I am that advanced 2d technology was suppressed in 1993 and never saw the light of day, technology that could have rendered the SNES and Genesis obsolete and changed the face of video game history. It's a disgrace that demos from the Jaguar look way better than anything that has come out since. Then it comes back with the Wii and Wii U in the same childlike format that made everyone sick of it in the first place, while systems like the Dreamcast didn't come close to showing off what was possible? It's really disjointed the way it happened, and incredibly disappointing. Why has no one put out games that took advantage of this technology? So that Sega and Nintendo could reap the profits until 1997 with embarrassing graphics for the time (like Donkey Kong Country 2 in 1996) that were so obsolete it's amazing it was even allowed to happen? So that Sony could run rough shot over the industry all these years?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzKR7pFPb8c

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 1st, 2015, 5:15 pm

We get it, you don't have to post like five topics on the subject jeez.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 1st, 2015, 5:19 pm

I bought a copy of Sturmwind last year, one of the best, if not the best Dreamcast homebrew. It uses some of this demo assets. It's a fantastic game. It's everything this demo wanted to be and then some, meaning it ended up being beyond the Jaguar and other contemporary systems capabilities. It looks good aesthetically, might have been released from the same folks who gave us Gradius V on PS2, Thunderforce VI on PS2, the Soldner Xs on PS3, the Deathsmiles in arcades/360...See where this is going? The demo is impressive by Jaguar standards, the actual game it ended up being by Dreamcast standards... but that's all there is to it. It isn't groundbreaking.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 1st, 2015, 5:23 pm

The Dreamcast versions didn't do it justice at all because the Dreamcast doesn't have clean visuals, it doesn't look nearly as good as the clip I attached or the playable level available on the Jag cd. The Jag had very clean visuals. I'm very disappointed. I expected a more convincing counter argument. And believe me, I'd rather listen to All 4 One or watch Power Rangers than keep on arguing with you guys, who are incapable of providing a counter argument.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 1st, 2015, 5:36 pm

I totally disagree. The Dreamcast game looks fantastic, and they did use assets from an old Jaguar project though, which definitely is impressive as far as the Jag is concerned. And the Dreamcast has clean visuals, hello RGB and VGA...

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 1st, 2015, 5:47 pm

I respectfully disagree. But say Sturmwind did look great (an assertion that I vehemently disagree with). That's one homebrew. And since I have all these "insane theories" how come no one has been able to answer my queston posed in the original post? I thought I was just some crazy guy (ok, maybe a little) who was off his rocker? But here are the clips. Sturmwind suffers from the same problem all Dreamcast 2d games did. The visuals are not clean. It does a disservice to the Jag demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTQtgqNedS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zy2k_iwJDY

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » March 1st, 2015, 6:00 pm

Hi again, Jon. Do you like numbers? I do. 

Rendering resolutions--

Jaguar: 240i
Dreamcast: 480p

Higher resolution means a clearer image.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » March 1st, 2015, 6:00 pm

[QUOTE=Jon]
And believe me, I'd rather listen to All 4 One or watch Power Rangers than keep on arguing with you guys, who are incapable of providing a counter argument.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure most of us would rather be playing games than trying to deconstruct your ironic hatred towards the PlayStation One.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 1st, 2015, 6:07 pm

Well, they look clean to me. Not as clean as they would on a CRT, not as clean as they would on a Sega Blast City arcade machine, but clean enough still. As far as the music, the animation, the graphics... super sweet stuff. Snatch a copy if you get the chance, you'll know what you're missing [wink] so long as you have the right TV and hook ups, you're in for a treat.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » March 1st, 2015, 10:29 pm

It's really shocking to me that no one could provide an explanation as to why this technology has been suppressed for over 20 years. And, I'm assuming that since no one could dig up footage of a better looking 2d game than Native, that it doesn't exist. Which is what I already assumed. It's sad really.

Return to “Video Games General”