Don't get too obsessed.....

General and high profile video game topics.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » January 18th, 2015, 2:54 am

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/01/234491-video-gamer-dies-3-straight-days/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=conservativedaily&utm_campaign=Culture

A 32 year old man had died of heart failure after playing nonstop for three days. Now I don't actually fear any one of us suffering the same fate, but man does that make you think or what?

This is why I love sports games; after 9 innings or 4 quarters or whatever, you're compelled to take a break. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 18th, 2015, 3:03 am

Yes, this happens every so often, they recorded a few other cases like that in Japan and South Korea, I believe .
Truly baffling.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 18th, 2015, 10:29 am

Damn... That's crazy. I don't think I've ever even came close to gaming for that long. I think MGS2 was the longest I ever sat down and played a game straight and that was like 12 hours. Usually after 2-3 hours I get too tired to enjoy playing, so I switch to something else.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » January 19th, 2015, 12:39 am

I'm surprised that the cafe owners actually let him stay that long and never attempted to kick him out, that just seems really bizarre to me.  In the U.S. there's no way anyone will let you stay in an internet cafe for that long.

I also recall a story about a guy in South Korea who died after playing WOW for 50 hours straight in an internet cafe, I remember thinking "why on earth wouldn't the cafe owner kick the guy out? who lets people stay in an internet cafe on the computer for that long?"  

I have no idea how on earth people have the energy to play games for that long without collapsing from exhaustion, the longest i've ever played in one day is 9 hours, and that was with multiple breaks in between.  

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » January 19th, 2015, 1:44 am

I've been glued to the internet ever since I've had it and videogames are my life hobby, but I couldn't see myself playing videogames to death. Even though I consider my tastes in games to be "hardcore" (I constantly want to enjoy as many games as I discover), I play casually as my mind tells me when to rest, no matter how awesomely addictive certain games can be. It's kinda weird, but Asian countries like Taiwan, South Korea, and China are traditionally healthier than the other regions in the world, but most of these people that die playing games seem to come from those countries. I know some of those gamers treat this hobby like an occupation; the latest DOTA 2 tournament had millions of dollars as the grand prize.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » January 20th, 2015, 4:01 pm

I don't think the only issue is a 'gaming addiction' if you can literally play until certain death. There are neurological disorders such as Fatal Familial Insomnia, which can enable this unhealthy exertion 

Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » January 26th, 2015, 5:50 pm

I suppose it helps that the batteries on the PS4 controllers don't last very long.

Return to “Video Games General”