Unexpected Audience, such as Brony fandom

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » August 4th, 2014, 11:46 am

[QUOTE=Vexer]

Wow, surprised that people are so incredibly judgemental towards others just because they like a certain show. I don't see how older people liking the show is "messed up" at all.

Personally, I think when someone judges others for liking MLP(and other similar shows), it says a lot more about them then it does about the fanbase.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with Vexer on this one. It's pretty imperious to judge someone just because they're a fan of something. Clearly there's something interesting or valuable about this show that has fostered such a large fanbase.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 4th, 2014, 2:14 pm

Ptdebate- Thank you for agreeing with me

Velcrozombie- I first got into Sailor Moon about 10 years ago and I still like it now, it does have quite the male fanbase, never was a big fan of Evangelion though.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » August 4th, 2014, 3:17 pm

A helpful chart

[tumblr_mgak1gA1FR1roteado1_500] 

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » August 4th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Friendship Is Magic is far superior to previous generations of My Little Pony. The writing is far improved and breaks the mold of the generic girl's show.

I don't know why people have such a problem with the fact that guys choose to watch a show about ponies. I honestly never would have expected this forum to be so judgmental and full of hatred over what people watch. Oh well, it doesn't really offend me. It's not like I'm going to stop watching because of it.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » August 4th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Is it just me, or does that MLP guy look like Penn Jillette?

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 4th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Anyway, we can somehow get this topic back to the world of video games and not bronies?

We get it, some like them, some don't.  Let's figure out how to get this back on track.  Or not...

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » August 4th, 2014, 9:16 pm

I'm 20 and I love Pokemon. And it's not nostalgia either. I love how you build a bond with your Pokemon, and you truly grow close to them on your adventure. Plus, with all the different types and weaknesses and whatnot, it has a nice amount of strategy, as well. The music is amazing, I love the Pokemon designs, and the story isn't bad, either.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » August 4th, 2014, 11:24 pm

Moderate brony speaking (as in I watch the show when it's on and once in a while use the memes IRL,I don't do the creepier stuff), a#@^les!!!.

There's something seriously messed up about anyone who gets scared away by pink and pretty stuff at first glance, reeks of some kind of discomfort/insecurities far as I'm concerned.

It's like Logan said,better written than not just those generations,but pretty much any show these days that isn't Avatar the Last Airbender and that ilk (such as Legend of Korra...speaking of which is there a thread on that video game coming out,heard it's being developed by Platinum Games).

In that vein, and using the Pokemon example, I find myself just how many people around my age or older can still be found talking about Pokemon stuff and whipping out the DS's and 3DS's.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 5th, 2014, 9:27 am

Man, what is it with people and the brony topic?  I was at Sci fi on the Rock (the biggest geek convention in Newfoundland) last year and I had a furry (an honest to goodness furry with a tail) tell me they thought bronies were losers. 

I'll say the same thing to you guys I say whenever someone at SFotR talks to me about those "weird furries/bronies, whatever."  It is weird to be  concerned that your interests and the things you enjoy (as long as they hurt no one else) should be changed to suit other people. 

If you think Bronies are weird, remember someone out there thinks you are a complete toolbox for liking electronic toys made for children 30 years ago.  The Atari 2600 and NES are children's toys.  They were marketed to children, with cartoons marketed to children based on them, sold with commercials of children palying them, and if you still like them, maybe you need to be told you're creepy and to grow up. 

I am not a brony.  I have seen the show, because I have kids, and I find the art style and humour appealing in a "Pixar-light" kind of way, but I don't even watch it when it's on in the house.  However, if someone wants to fend off the despair of spiraling into oblivion by watching some funny little horses fly around a rainbow coloured world making friends, good for them.  If you think they shouldn't do that because it makes them creepy, perhaps it is a sign that there's something wrong with you.  Perhaps you should work out why other people's interests are so much of an issue for you. 

I have no time for this stuff.  Bullying judgements from geeks is bullying just the same. 

Return to “Video Games General”