Horror stories to make into video games

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 19th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Velcromzombie- But all the people that Drake killed were also trying to kill him, so it's not like he really had much of a choice in the matter.  The guy in Hatred however is doing nothing but killing innocent people for no real reason, it sounds like the Postal series without any of the dark humor.

Scotland17: Have you ever heard of the PS2 game Project: Altered Beast?  It's a werewolf game of sorts(and one that was never released in the U.S. for some bizarre unknown reason).

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » October 19th, 2014, 9:21 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]

Velcromzombie- But all the people that Drake killed were also trying to kill him, so it's not like he really had much of a choice in the matter.  The guy in Hatred however is doing nothing but killing innocent people for no real reason, it sounds like the Postal series without any of the dark humor.[/QUOTE]

Their point in the interview is very muddled, but it was along the lines of "You already kill tons of people in games without blinking an eye. Why? Because the game gives you a context where it is acceptable to your moral sensibility to do so. You do the exact same thing in our game on a mechanical level: we just remove the context that made it acceptable for your brain in other games". It's not a strong point admittedly (context is so important to action that the minute you remove it, the world devolves into nonsense), but it's a question that makes you take a step back and say "Yeah...I DO enjoy games where I kill a lot of people...why is that, exactly?". At the end of the day, though, it's still a despicable game wrapped in edgy marketing by a bunch of guys who think they're smarter than they really are.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 20th, 2014, 10:35 pm

But the thing is that i'm pretty sure the main thing most people enjoy about the Uncharted series isn't that you kill "tons of people", most reviews say that it's the exhilarating set pieces and thrilling locations that are the main selling point for the franchise.

That question most certainly did not make me "take a step back" in the least, it just made me seriously question the guy's bizarre logic.

I don't know if i'd call the game "despicable"(though i'm less inclined to support it given that one of the developers is known for being anti-Islamic and donating to anti-gay causes) just yet, but it certainly does sound like it's trying too hard to go for shock value over any kind of substance, that might work for movies and TV shows, but games need a bit more to be really stand out.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 21st, 2014, 10:34 am

I've always said that something like Halloween or Friday the 13th would make a great survival horror style game.  The game would need to be stealth based where running makes more sense then trying to attack your enemy.  

I think I once pitched a Halloween game on these forums where you can go anywhere in a neighborhood and you never know where Michael Myers is gonna show up.  Kind of like Clock Tower where you're just exploring and you never know where Scissorman will pop up.

It could certainly be cool and very suspenseful.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 21st, 2014, 7:32 pm

I remember years ago there was a slasher game in development that sounded quite interesting(forgot what the name was though), too bad it got cancelled.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 21st, 2014, 11:01 pm

As far as I know, there has never really been a game that combines survival horror and driving/racing, so I think a video game based on either Duel or Joy Ride would be pretty interesting.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » October 26th, 2014, 1:10 am

Stephen King's IT would be excellent. Make a great horror RPG.

You could have the bullies and versions of IT as boss fights, the town has a lot to explore. And BALLOONS!!!!

It'd have to be a lot like the TV miniseries though with what is in and not in.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » October 26th, 2014, 6:54 am

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Stephen King's IT would be excellent. Make a great horror RPG.

You could have the bullies and versions of IT as boss fights, the town has a lot to explore. And BALLOONS!!!!

It'd have to be a lot like the TV miniseries though with what is in and not in.[/QUOTE]

Let me float this by you. The town of Derry, the setting for IT, is also the setting of a few other more recent King stories. Maybe the game could include another King Maine Town, Castle Rock. That way the game could have cameos or boss fights with things like Cujo, a haunted truck, and a store that has just what you want...with a catch.

I like the idea of role playing as a kid. It helps strip away your adult awareness and armor, to be more accepting and much more vulnerable. Like Something Wicked Thus Way Comes, a warped version of Fantasy Island, or Whoever Slew Auntie Roo, the Shining, or even Poltergeist, if you focus on the kids. Scary clown in that one too.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » October 26th, 2014, 10:56 am

@scotland17

I wanted to bring this to your attention because it dovetails with your last message. I've been watching the videos Two Best Friends Play have been doing on horror games this month. Last night they put out a video on a Kickstarter-funded PC horror game called Among the Sleep that I stopped watching after a couple of minutes because I realized I really wanted to play it and didn't want anything else spoiled. From what I watched the game is from the first-person perspective of a little boy who just turned two years old. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9eiVGslKI4

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » October 26th, 2014, 4:24 pm

[QUOTE=velcrozombie]@scotland17

...PC horror game called Among the Sleep that I stopped watching after a couple of minutes because I realized I really wanted to play it...[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much. I'm spooked already. In checking it out I hit a few spoilers, so, stop looking into it. What a neat concept. Its one thing to be a spunky little kid fighting the neighborhood Lost Boy vampires, but a terrified toddler and his teddy bear. Yikes. Little ones are already so vulnerable, physically and emotionally. Sounds like a game that will steal a few nights sleep and let your own kids keep the lights on all night.

Return to “Video Games General”