How your gaming changes over the years

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland171

Postby scotland171 » February 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am

How has your gaming changed as you've gotten older?  Here are some comments from other threads to kick start it.

[QUOTE=FinalLapTwinkie]Funny thing being mentioned a lot in other threads is time to play. This generation of consoles and handhelds look very impressive but what happens when gamers run out of time to play? Is it really a great time for gamers when you have so much selection but no time? ... I mean, we all get older with more responsibilities ... So maybe consoles are becoming a thing for singles? 

I try to look for games now that are more relaxing and come with less frustration to play. Do they exist? Maybe? But most require more time then I am able to give. That is a factor of why I enjoy the 8/16 bit games. Most are easy to jump right in and play. The best part of my gaming choice is I can walk away at anytime.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=ptdebate]

Not only are games cheap (remember $100 cartridges? Compare that to $15 for Shovel Knight)

[/QUOTE]
I don't remember $100 cartridges that well.  I remember $3 rentals and having one person on your street getting a game meaning everyone eventually got to have a few weeks with it.  I own a lot more games now, but I probably played just as many as a kid for real, real cheap.  Looking at how many I finish (or ever end up installing) I think I was easily as well off then.  [/QUOTE]

As a kid, I did get to play much more than I owned do to the social circles (and games were expensive and there were no used or rental game markets for a time).   However, when I had lots of free time and more money after college (job but no family), I still only played some video games because I had other things I preferred doing (some required large blocks of time).  With a family, I don't have large blocks of time for gaming, but I do have some free time and money.   Would I rather play one immersive game for a long time, or sample lots of games, each for a few hours?  Or do you mix and match periods of shallow swimming and the next deep dive?

I guess its like books, movies, and television shows except video games are a larger commitment of money. (then add in the cost of the console, and we can see why deciding which console or no console is such a big decision).

Its likely some mix of free time, free money, age, other interests, inclination between depth vs variety, and other personality and lifestyle factors.  

How has your gaming changed over the years?  How is it now, and where do you see it going?

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » February 22nd, 2015, 10:38 am

As I have gotten older I find gaming to be absolutely essential in my life.  I have been collecting (hoarding?) nearly all the systems and most of their games these past few years.  The few hours a week I get to play games (with a few brews usually) is the most relaxing and enjoyable time to myself.  I use it as a personal getaway from the weekly grind and I truly savor the escapism.  And most importantly it is still great fun.  Getting through all three levels on Intellivision's Thunder Castle yesterday was rewarding and satisfying. Playing all three periods against the CPU in Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey.......not nearly as rewarding but at least I can scratch it off my video game bucket list.

Playing these games.....it puts me in an almost Zen-like state that reminds me of my carefree days as a kid playing the same games.....just 35 years later.

I aspire to continue this hobby into retirement where I would have more time to explore untouched games that I own: Star Raiders and Rescue on Fractalus for the 5200; Space Shuttle, Solaris and Secret Quest for the 2600 and many Commodore 64 games come to mind. These are games that seem to require some serious studying and learning to be fully enjoyed.

I'd also like to play full seasons on every Madden game for the Genesis in yearly order.  Sounds like I have too much time on my hands?  Yep, that would be the point.

One fear of mine as time moves forward is what will happen to us aging gamers if arthritis in the hands sets in where playing long sessions would not be possible.  It would be like Burgess Meridith breaking his eyeglasses in that famous Twilight Zone episode......"This isn't fair - but there was time now"

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » February 22nd, 2015, 12:25 pm

[QUOTE=Teddybear]It would be like Burgess Meridith breaking his eyeglasses in that famous Twilight Zone episode......"This isn't fair - but there was time now [/QUOTE]

That is hilarious and terrifying at the same time.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 22nd, 2015, 3:02 pm

When I was younger I mainly played a lot of platformer games, I still play some, but now I mostly play first and third-person shooters.

I was rather busy when I was younger with groups I was in, so I actually have more free-time for gaming now then I did as a kid.

Voor1

Postby Voor1 » February 22nd, 2015, 3:44 pm

I don't game very much, probably 1-2 hours/week, and sometimes 2-3 weeks without turning it on.

I find that I don't enjoy the games I traditionally like (mario kart, smash bros, halo, sports, etc) as much because I'm so used to playing them with other people. By myself, they are much less enjoyable.

That said, I've really enjoyed getting into the Zeldas, which I neglected over the years since they tend to be a bit long. My plan is to knock out a couple this year.

I'm also considering picking up a 2600 and a handful of essential games soon, for something totally different. But my feeling is that it's fun to revisit the past with friends, but nostalgia runs out pretty fast by yourself. I may be wrong though. It would probably be wise to grab one of those Flashback units to try out. I'm curious what my girls (who have never played a console, only a few things on my phone) would think.

I didn't play at all for 7-8 years because I was really into another hobby. But I needed a break from that one and video games are easier to manage (for me).

Cool thread!

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 22nd, 2015, 7:14 pm

I guess my preferences and habits haven't changed that much now that I think about it. Back in 2003, I spent most of my gaming time on Phantasy Star Online for Gamecube. If the servers were still up, that's probably what I'd still be playing. I do still fire up offline mode every now and then.

That single game has probably influenced my gaming preferences more than anything else. It's why I play for depth rather than breadth--i.e., spending more time on fewer games. It's why I love Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, JRPGs, and fighting games. 20 years from now, I'll still be evaluating new releases in light of PSO.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » February 22nd, 2015, 7:25 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]If the servers were still up, that's probably what I'd still be playing. I do still fire up offline mode every now and then.
[/QUOTE]
My understanding is that there was still a Gamecube and DC one up until last year (privately run or something).  I think something happened to them, so I'm not sure if they ever went back up.  

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » February 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17][QUOTE=Teddybear]It would be like Burgess Meridith breaking his eyeglasses in that famous Twilight Zone episode......"This isn't fair - but there was time now [/QUOTE] That is hilarious and terrifying at the same time. [/QUOTE]
Then switch to RPGs and get some kind of voice controller that will be around by then.  [smile]

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » February 22nd, 2015, 8:31 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=ptdebate]If the servers were still up, that's probably what I'd still be playing. I do still fire up offline mode every now and then.
[/QUOTE]
My understanding is that there was still a Gamecube and DC one up until last year (privately run or something).  I think something happened to them, so I'm not sure if they ever went back up.  [/QUOTE]

There are actually quite a few! I used to access one back in 2009-2012 that was active on all platforms except Xbox.

They're getting pretty small these days, with active users being in the teens. They're usually private groups of friends. I was crossing my fingers for a U.S. release of PSO2, but it looks like that'll never happen. I'm not sure it would even be a similar experience, anyway.

It's funny, because online RPGs are not what people think of when they think of the Gamecube. For me, however, the Gamecube was PSO. When I first got the game was also when my home first adopted broadband internet. 2003 was an interesting year to be sure.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » February 22nd, 2015, 9:26 pm

I tend to game around anywhere from 15-30 hours a week depending on my work schedule, multiplayer has always done very little for me, so I prefer playing by myself and am annoyed at games like Titanfall that don't offer any kind of single-player campaign(and it's multiplayer campaign did not feel like it had a lot of effort put into it).

Return to “Video Games General”