MS to offer Xbone without Kinect starting June 9, remove paywall for apps

General and high profile video game topics.
Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » May 13th, 2014, 11:25 am

http://news.xbox.com/2014/05/xbox-delivering-more-choices

Xbone has gone from "no, not in a million years" purchase to "maybe, I'll consider it when it costs less than PS4." I still don't trust MS, I feel bad for having supported Xbox 360 and being an enabler for their colossal arrogance of the original Xbone reveal.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » May 13th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Oops. Ninja'd.

*sigh* Price drops are never good enough for some people. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 13th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Funny how getting your ass beat in by the competition makes you change your tune real quick.  Microsoft went from saying alot of this stuff would never happen to suddenly being on board and wanting to offer more value.  You know...because they care so much about average joe gamer.

I've never been a fan of their idiotic Xbox Live service or their Gold membership.  It was a dick move to nickel and dime consumers.  However, the 360 did so well that other companies now offer the same great 'deal'.  Charging for online multiplayer is such a scam it's not even funny.  They know it's a scam because they have to entice people with "free games" and "members only" deals.  Don't freak out...Sony does this crap too and it's bush league practices.

Overall this is good news...but man did a room of intelligent business people really think these Xbox One Policies were really gonna fly and make gamers excited?  It's nice that they've realized they screwed up.  It would have been better if they didn't go to market with all this crap in place.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » May 13th, 2014, 2:37 pm

It's about time! I really didn't think they would do this until 2015.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » May 13th, 2014, 2:48 pm

I had a feeling they would offer a cheaper version, but I really don't see how this automatically means they're "getting their ass beat". 4 million consoles sold is hardly anything to sneeze at.

I personally quite like their Gold membership.

I don't feel "bad" for owning a 360 at all.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » May 13th, 2014, 3:24 pm

They should rebrand it the Xbox U-Turn.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » May 13th, 2014, 3:28 pm

[xbox-180] 

Someone could compile a huge list of official MS quotes about how being always online and including kinect were integral to the system.

Reportedly, the Xbone UI is gimped without kinect, so the next step is to optimize it for use with controller only.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » May 13th, 2014, 4:18 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]Funny how getting your ass beat in by the competition makes you change your tune real quick.  Microsoft went from saying alot of this stuff would never happen to suddenly being on board and wanting to offer more value.  You know...because they care so much about average joe gamer.

I've never been a fan of their idiotic Xbox Live service or their Gold membership.  It was a dick move to nickel and dime consumers.  However, the 360 did so well that other companies now offer the same great 'deal'.  Charging for online multiplayer is such a scam it's not even funny.  They know it's a scam because they have to entice people with "free games" and "members only" deals.  Don't freak out...Sony does this crap too and it's bush league practices.

Overall this is good news...but man did a room of intelligent business people really think these Xbox One Policies were really gonna fly and make gamers excited?  It's nice that they've realized they screwed up.  It would have been better if they didn't go to market with all this crap in place.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the sort of stuff that made me decide to stick with PC/Wii U/3DS/Vita this generation. PC for "hardcore," high-spec games, Nintendo for...Nintendo stuff, and Vita for legacy Sony games on the go.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » May 13th, 2014, 4:48 pm

This is a good strategy for Microsoft. It will make it so the Xbox One is much more competitive with the PS4.  This change in strategy is probably because the PS4 was running circles around the Xbox one in sales, despite having a pretty equal quality game library at this time. Microsoft forced customers to pay $100 more dollars for the Xbox one than the PS4, so it could include a device that had no great games that used it.  Kinect Sports Rivals was just released, but it was a MASSIVE letdown (I will be posting another thread about how awful it is later, I am so disappointed). Therefore, what's the point of the Kinect at this time?  Essentially, if they were gonna make the Kinect mandatory, they should have had a great pick up and play Kinect game at launch, and it should have been a pack in game. It certainly worked for Nintendo with Wii Sports. 

So how did Microsoft think they'd get away with releasing a console for 500 bucks to include a mostly useless peripheral (at least as of now) with no pack in game?  In general, Microsoft has been pretty arrogant all the way by 1.forced always online DRM (which they caved on before the system even launched) 2.Forcing you to buy Kinect without having any worthwhile Kinect games and 3.Forcing a subscription just to use other subscription based services. Now Microsoft has now backtracked on all three items. We consumers forced them to. This proves we have power. If we keep it up, we can keep making Microsoft backtrack, until the Xbox One is a great console.  However, think of how much better of a better position Microsoft would be in right now, if they just treated their customers with respect in the first place.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2014, 5:24 pm

Whoever is running the Xbox division at Microsoft has been running it into the ground since before launch!  Wow, what a total meltdown.  Had they been advised by a real gamer (like ME) they could have avoided all of this painful backtracking.

Now the Xbox One is basically a PS4 - only weaker hardware.  They better put out some really good games if they expect to get back into the race.

I will admit the system looks a lot more attractive to me - I didn't want another big clunky camera on my TV!  Still, the console is pretty huge.  I might have to build an addition on my house just to accommodate it!

Return to “Video Games General”